A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Virtual Cockpit maps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Without coding an external SIM will likely do nothing.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Wilson
Has anyone in Canada tried using a SIM card from Rogers, bell or telus in the glove box. I have ordered the A4 with tech package and was hoping that would work.
Yes, I tried using an activated SIM card, does nothing sadly.

I also spoke with Audi Connect USA and gave them my VIN for my Technik. Said it's a Premium Plus in their version which means no Audi Connect capabilities.

I then asked them if it's Sirius Traffic compatible and they said no as now Sirius Traffic runs through Audi Connect.

Making the car not as exciting anymore.

Ya Apple Maps is ok but don't wanna run data all the time, plus it doesn't work on the Virtual Cockpit.

I spoke to Audi Canada and they said that the builds for A4's later this fall will have an option for Audi Connect installation. But even then they may not have all the features as the US version like: remote start/heat/ac, etc.
And also it won't be a software update, it's a module from where it's built so if you've already ordered or took delivery like I did 2 weeks ago, you're SOL for Audi Connect.

I just wanted Sirius Traffic like I had in my 2015. I signed up for a US account and worked perfectly. Bugs me that I can't even get Traffic now on a 2017.......
Old 07-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Without coding an external SIM will likely do nothing.
This.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

As I said before, if there is a SIM card slot then there is a modem that can connect to the Intenet. There are a few adaption channels concerning online connectivity. It might be worthwhile to find someone with a compatible VCDS cable and play with those channels. Of post a channel map of 5F of your Canadian B9 with Navigation Plus so we can compare it with a US B9.

Even if the modem can be enabled, Google Earth overlay and Inrix traffic will not be an option until you get a AudiConnect license/subscription linked to your VIN.

On the topic of the remote app, Audi doesn't do remote start and AC. In ROW with a secondary heater system and certain AudiConnect options you can enable the secondary heater but other than that it's pretty much unlocking/locking the car and checking miles to empty/next service.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
On the topic of the remote app, Audi doesn't do remote start and AC. In ROW with a secondary heater system and certain AudiConnect options you can enable the secondary heater but other than that it's pretty much unlocking/locking the car and checking miles to empty/next service.
It's also pretty useful useful for locating the car & it's surprisingly accurate. Our son drove us to the Airport yesterday morning in our Q7 & then he was going to use it to run to church & to a church function about a hundred miles away. We usually keep track of each other with Apple's "Find my Friends", but with the Audi app, I was able to see that he had parked the car locally at the church & rode with someone else (fewer miles on the Q )

Last edited by Cadx6; 08-24-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tgs2017
I then asked them if it's Sirius Traffic compatible and they said no as now Sirius Traffic runs through Audi Connect.

Making the car not as exciting anymore.

I just wanted Sirius Traffic like I had in my 2015. I signed up for a US account and worked perfectly. Bugs me that I can't even get Traffic now on a 2017.......
I'm astonished at the lack of information and what amounts to a Bermuda-triangle for knowledge between Audi Canada, Sirius Canada and customers.

The last call I had with Sirius Canada was that a 3-month free trial of both Sirius Radio and Sirius Traffic was included for new Audi Canada cars. They also went on to say that you can cannot purchase Sirius Traffic standalone - you must have Sirius Radio as well.

In terms of integration - they specifically said Sirius Traffic directly integrates with the built-in Audi navigation system ie. auto re-routes during in-progress routes to avoid jams/accidents/incidents, etc.

Can any Canadian Audi owners confirm this? I have not taken delivery of my 2017 S3 and want to understand these things.

Clearly Sirius Traffic is available in Canada as there's an actual website. But Audi (both dealership level and customer care phone #) can not provide any answers on how the car's nav system works with Sirius Traffic. It seems only other Audi owners can provide info with any degree of certainty.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Civuck
I'm astonished at the lack of information and what amounts to a Bermuda-triangle for knowledge between Audi Canada, Sirius Canada and customers.

The last call I had with Sirius Canada was that a 3-month free trial of both Sirius Radio and Sirius Traffic was included for new Audi Canada cars. They also went on to say that you can cannot purchase Sirius Traffic standalone - you must have Sirius Radio as well.

In terms of integration - they specifically said Sirius Traffic directly integrates with the built-in Audi navigation system ie. auto re-routes during in-progress routes to avoid jams/accidents/incidents, etc.

Can any Canadian Audi owners confirm this? I have not taken delivery of my 2017 S3 and want to understand these things.

Clearly Sirius Traffic is available in Canada as there's an actual website. But Audi (both dealership level and customer care phone #) can not provide any answers on how the car's nav system works with Sirius Traffic. It seems only other Audi owners can provide info with any degree of certainty.

I can, and nope, there is NO Sirius Traffic on the Canadian version of the new A4.

I have a free trial of radio and traffic and tried about 100 different ways with Sirius to get it to work including some sort of Sirius reset etc. You cannot get Sirius Traffic on the new A4 here in Canada, plain and simple.

I had it in my 2015 S4 no problem. I subscribed online to the US Sirius at the time as Traffic wasn't available up here yet and it worked like a charm. Just paid the $4.99/month for it (US).

I tried subscribing to the US Sirius as well on my new A4 and it does not work either.
When you speak with Sirius US and give them your radio ID they say it's compatible....but it's not.

When I spoke with Audi Canada they said my car isn't compatible with Traffic as it's now through Audi Connect........but US only lol

Audi Connect is now coming to Canada BUT only for basic, road-side crap services...useless

So basically you're forced to use your data plan with Apple Maps if you want Traffic.....

Good job Audi Canada!!

#refund
Old 08-23-2016, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can, and nope, there is NO Sirius Traffic on the Canadian version of the new A4.

I have a free trial of radio and traffic and tried about 100 different ways with Sirius to get it to work including some sort of Sirius reset etc. You cannot get Sirius Traffic on the new A4 here in Canada, plain and simple.

I had it in my 2015 S4 no problem. I subscribed online to the US Sirius at the time as Traffic wasn't available up here yet and it worked like a charm. Just paid the $4.99/month for it (US).

I tried subscribing to the US Sirius as well on my new A4 and it does not work either.
When you speak with Sirius US and give them your radio ID they say it's compatible....but it's not.

When I spoke with Audi Canada they said my car isn't compatible with Traffic as it's now through Audi Connect........but US only lol

Audi Connect is now coming to Canada BUT only for basic, road-side crap services...useless

So basically you're forced to use your data plan with Apple Maps if you want Traffic.....

Good job Audi Canada!!

#refund
Thanks for the follow-up on this.

Well obviously the frustration here is both on the misinformation from Sirius Canada and the lack of information from Audi Canada; a terrible customer experience with both companies.

As a premium brand, I honestly expected more from Audi having gone through a similar dearth of info during my last Mazda Canada purchase.

But that said, the 2017 S3s have not officially arrived in Canada so who knows if it will be a similar situation as the '17 A4s - which I suspect - or a whole new one.

On another tech note: does HD Radio reception work in Canada on '17 A4? (assuming '17 S3 will be similar). There are about a dozen or more stations now across Canada. Sonic quality is superior to Sirius (which is overly compressed) and should shine on the Audi B&O audio system.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Civuck
Thanks for the follow-up on this.

Well obviously the frustration here is both on the misinformation from Sirius Canada and the lack of information from Audi Canada; a terrible customer experience with both companies.

As a premium brand, I honestly expected more from Audi having gone through a similar dearth of info during my last Mazda Canada purchase.

But that said, the 2017 S3s have not officially arrived in Canada so who knows if it will be a similar situation as the '17 A4s - which I suspect - or a whole new one.

On another tech note: does HD Radio reception work in Canada on '17 A4? (assuming '17 S3 will be similar). There are about a dozen or more stations now across Canada. Sonic quality is superior to Sirius (which is overly compressed) and should shine on the Audi B&O audio system.

You can see what the Canadian version of Audi Connect is on the Audi website when you build a Technik A4. Pretty basic like road side assistance and servicing, abut no Google Maps or anything. What's the point.

UK gets park assist. I had it in my Evoque and was quite unique and helpful.

As for HD radio, yes but only 1 channel 92.5FM unless you speak other languages as there are a couple in other languages and a sports/news one. Just look at the HD radio website.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can see what the Canadian version of Audi Connect is on the Audi website when you build a Technik A4. Pretty basic like road side assistance and servicing, abut no Google Maps or anything. What's the point.

UK gets park assist. I had it in my Evoque and was quite unique and helpful.

As for HD radio, yes but only 1 channel 92.5FM unless you speak other languages as there are a couple in other languages and a sports/news one. Just look at the HD radio website.
So page 204 of the 2017 Audi A4 online manual says this:

Guess that's wrong.

As far as HD Radio stations in the Toronto area, you may also be able to receive 95.3 out of Hamilton. I've been successful with my current car within Toronto and even east:

As for Park Assist - my understanding is my 2017 S3 will come with something like it. Is Audi "Park Assist" and "Parking System Plus" the same? Maybe one physically controls the steering of the car and one is just acoustic sensors?

Quick Reply: Virtual Cockpit maps?