A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

WeatherTech floor liners

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default WeatherTech floor liners

I currently have a set of the Audi OEM all weather floor mats, but any thoughts on these WT Floor Liners, which are mats with higher sides and offer more protection from snow getting on the car's carpet.
https://www.weathertech.com/audi/201...mId=1500557612

Now, the reason I ask is because I bought a set years ago for my wife's Outback and though they accomplish the job, they are made from a very stiff material - more "plastic" than "rubber" and sort taken a different shape on the sides with age.

Anyone using them?
Old 12-18-2018, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I currently have a set of the Audi OEM all weather floor mats, but any thoughts on these WT Floor Liners, which are mats with higher sides and offer more protection from snow getting on the car's carpet.
https://www.weathertech.com/audi/201...mId=1500557612

Now, the reason I ask is because I bought a set years ago for my wife's Outback and though they accomplish the job, they are made from a very stiff material - more "plastic" than "rubber" and sort taken a different shape on the sides with age.

Anyone using them?
Bob - you've been around here long enough to know about the search function .
Now - having rubbed that in (sorry, couldn't resist) I've had WeatherTechs in all 5 of my Audis & two Jettas. Yes, they're more rigid but that's a good thing since if they get water, slush, etc. in them you can lift them out without spilling everything back on the carpet. The OEM ones are so flexible they're impossible to get out without flexing & dumping everything . The WeatherTechs are kind of slippery but I'm currently driving a loaner A5 Sportback with OEMs & they actually seem just as bad - plus I really don't care for the texture pattern compared to WT. WT came out with some cleaner and conditioner sprays that do a great job & seem to make them seem a little less slippery.
I have the advantage that WeatherTech's factory is only a few miles from me, so whenever I need a set, I just run down & pick up what I need & save a fair amount of shipping.
Every time I get a new Audi, my dealer offers a free set of OEMs but I always politely decline (& make it up elsewhere).
Old 12-18-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I had weathertechs in one of my previous cars. While the concept was great, the material they used made it extremely slippery when wet. Anytime my shoe or the mat was wet, and I went to put my weight on it to get in or out of the car, it would slide and Id fall back into the car. It had no grip whatsoever. Ive been using the factory rubber mats for most of the cars now and no issues. Ive learned how to fold them when taking them out in order to not lose any additional dirt.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cadx6
Bob - you've been around here long enough to know about the search function
Yeah, you are correct, just being a bit lazy, but I took your advice and read a handful of threads and basically your opinion - better protection for the WT's and HyperS4's opinion - too slippery when wet seems to echo the two camps. Just have to weigh the pros and cons, I guess.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I've had full weathertech (front rear and trunk) in my S4 for 20,000 miles / 19 months now. I take this car skiing for 4-5 weeks / 30 skiing days a year so lots of snow and parking lot mud. Carpet underneath still looks brand new. I pull the liners out a couple times per winter to wash with a pressure nozzle and some light degreaser. You are correct that it is a rather stiff material that is more plastic than rubber but I haven't had any deformation issues.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I have WT floor liners for my daughters C-Max. They are very hard to keep clean looking. After about a year they look cloudy, abraded and bad even though I have personally washed them several times. The Audi OEM all weather mats in my '18 A4 are much easier to keep new looking. I live in NYS where it does snow and rain, but have never encountered enough slush buildup that it over-ran the OEM mats.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The thing I like about the WT mats is the dead pedal coverage is better. The OEM mats are cut around it so the salt on your shoe runs into the gap between dead pedal and factory all weather mat.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Timfoilhat
The thing I like about the WT mats is the dead pedal coverage is better. The OEM mats are cut around it so the salt on your shoe runs into the gap between dead pedal and factory all weather mat.
That is the issue and one of the places where the snow salt does end up on the carpet.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife has these in her explorer and they do have the raised sides which work as you want. But the downside is that the edges tend to curl inward with the slightest manipulating, like careless kids getting in and out of the car. WT replaced our rear section for us at no charge, we'll see if it happens again.

I am far happier with the OEM rubber mats in my B9 A4 but they do not have the raised lips.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have WT and they are great. they really protect the side carpet that goes up in the foot area.

i just wished the back liners covered the center isle that they have between the seats.

i would recommended 3m scotch guarding your carpet then putting the liners on. never know when some slush etc will creep over the liner.

Quick Reply: WeatherTech floor liners