A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 12:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avss01
Hi all
I see that this thread is still active. Still plenty of Audi B9s with the 'howling wolf' noise it seems. I know my input has not been full of details, but I can assure everyone that my car is still completely free of this noise. I had the correction done in March 2018 and it has been good ever since. I wish Audi was more forthcoming with the details of the software updates etc. I am in Australia, and my Audi dealer does not seem to get full details from Germany when it comes to these updates. I have attached my workshop service invoice with personal details removed to show what was done on the day....I think the main cause of the noise had something to do with the cooling valve in the transmission but I am in no way sure of this. Anyway I wanted to let you guys know that my car is still noise free and this was the work done to correct it. The noises recorded on this thread lately are exactly the noise I had and as I said in an earlier post, the loaner they gave me while this work was being done also had the noise but to a lesser extent. Hope this helps in some way...

PS...to put the invoice in context....I returned the car because in an effort to kill the noise the first time, they did a Mechatronics reset which made the gear changes rougher at low speeds...but did not get rid of the noise. That is why I took it back a second time and this is when the work in the invoice was carried out.

Cheers
AVSS01
Thanks for the information, very interesting. The description on there doesn't mention any "howling" though, just a "clunking" noise?

My car is a Manual so I am guessing the Mechatronics issue doesn't apply to me - my noise seems nothing to do with gear changes either. Will my car still have a transmission cooling valve? If so I'll mention this to my garage next time.

It's possible that my car has the noise to a "lesser extent" like that loaner you had - you notice it when you listen for it, but it's not generally audible over the radio etc. I am curious to know what it is, and if there was a simple fix I'd ask for it. Don't want them messing anything else up in the process though!

It's good to be armed with as much knowledge as possible so thanks again for posting that invoice.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I finally took my car to the dealer and they reset the basic settings for the cooling valve and the ATF pump. Since the updates, I haven't notice the noise anymore and it seems to be fixed. If anyone wants the exact details on what the dealer did, please let me know.

One downside since the update was performed is that the transmission has gone clunkier and with very aggressive downshifts at times. Might need to take it back to the dealer to find a setting which gives the best performance without the clunks and the whining noise.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, I would be interested to know what they did...although it might be tricky to know which update actually solved the noise, and worrying that in other respects your car is performing worse now than before. My car's noise is low-pitched and not very loud so I will not encourage my garage to do anything too intrusive to try and resolve it. It would be satisifying just to know what it is though - it seems quite common but mysterious!
Old 12-03-2019, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi SteveW117

Just to clear up the confusion....the reference to the clunking...more a physical observation than a ‘noise’ was my returning of the car after they reset the mechatronics in an effort the first time to stop the howling whining weird noise that we are all complaining about. Trust me when I say the recordings throughout this thread (please also listen to my own way up in my first post) are exactly what I had. The noise used to always happen as I was slowing down almost stopping, for example to go over a series of speed bumps leading into my workplace...every application of the brake to slow down a bit....the howl would sound for like 2 seconds....every time without fail.

It just so happens to coincide with the car also selecting a lower gear as I slowed down but not necessarily as a result of the gear change itself.

So again, the issue I had was a weird whistle, howl, whine, ghostly sound however you want to describe it....not a clunk in the gearbox.

Hope that clears things up a little. Apologies if I have confused the issue with the wording in the service notes.

Cheers

AVSS01
Old 12-03-2019, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by avss01
Hi SteveW117

Just to clear up the confusion....the reference to the clunking...more a physical observation than a ‘noise’ was my returning of the car after they reset the mechatronics in an effort the first time to stop the howling whining weird noise that we are all complaining about. Trust me when I say the recordings throughout this thread (please also listen to my own way up in my first post) are exactly what I had. The noise used to always happen as I was slowing down almost stopping, for example to go over a series of speed bumps leading into my workplace...every application of the brake to slow down a bit....the howl would sound for like 2 seconds....every time without fail.

It just so happens to coincide with the car also selecting a lower gear as I slowed down but not necessarily as a result of the gear change itself.

So again, the issue I had was a weird whistle, howl, whine, ghostly sound however you want to describe it....not a clunk in the gearbox.

Hope that clears things up a little. Apologies if I have confused the issue with the wording in the service notes.

Cheers

AVSS01
No problem - in my case I know that it's nothing related to the gearbox anyway, as I am driving a manual and can clearly hear the sound when not changing gears. It will also happen whether in neutral or in gear...it's a weird one, it most often happens during braking at low speed, but not always and not exclusively! I would love to just know what it is. I have sort of got used to it anyway.

It's interesting that the other poster above mentions their gearbox getting clunkier too once the garage tried to fix the whine. For the record I have no clunks whatsoever (except when my clutch control lets me down) but I do have the low-pitched whine.

Would be great to know specifically what it is - should be having a service early next year and will report back if they find anything too!
Old 12-03-2019, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SteveW117
Thanks for the information, very interesting. The description on there doesn't mention any "howling" though, just a "clunking" noise?

My car is a Manual so I am guessing the Mechatronics issue doesn't apply to me - my noise seems nothing to do with gear changes either. Will my car still have a transmission cooling valve? If so I'll mention this to my garage next time.

It's possible that my car has the noise to a "lesser extent" like that loaner you had - you notice it when you listen for it, but it's not generally audible over the radio etc. I am curious to know what it is, and if there was a simple fix I'd ask for it. Don't want them messing anything else up in the process though!

It's good to be armed with as much knowledge as possible so thanks again for posting that invoice.
pls send me the details! Still have this issue
Old 12-03-2019, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here you go. Been two weeks and I haven't heard the same whine.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SPNY

Here you go. Been two weeks and I haven't heard the same whine.
Q. What is TPI?

Also, if ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid pump, how come I get the same noise in my manual Audi?

The mystery continues! It does seem like the noise is "normal" to some extent though...depending upon the transmission...

Old 12-06-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SteveW117
Q. What is TPI?

Also, if ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid pump, how come I get the same noise in my manual Audi?

The mystery continues! It does seem like the noise is "normal" to some extent though...depending upon the transmission...
TPI = Technical Product Information
Old 12-30-2022, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, does anyone have a copy or reference for the TPI relating to this gearbox noise?
Mine has started making the same noise shortly after an oil change and it’s driving me mad.

this is the exact noise I’m experiencing.

many thanks

Quick Reply: Weird noise