A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do?

Hello everyone.

My A4 Ultra recently had creaking/clunking noise coming out from front-right side of the vehicle. The sound becomes really noticeable when: (1) the outside temperature gets 90+; (2) the vehicle has been in operation for 30 mins +; and (3) braking/turning in downhill. Due to this concern, I took my vehicle for the first time to the local Audi dealership on August 1st. The technician did a quick test drive with me, but I was not able to duplicate that noise. However, the dealership still decided to take a look and attempt to fix it. After 5 days, the dealership contacted me that everything must be good as my vehicle had no visible damaged or concerning parts. As a courtesy, the dealership tightened bolts and etc. to make sure that noise problem is solved.

Unfortunately, the next day of pick-up, my vehicle began to have a same noise problem once again. I contacted the same dealership and test drove it with technician again (August 8th). This time, technician clearly heard the noise and expressed concern as he never encountered a similar issue before. I told technician to test drive as much as possible and to have my vehicle at dealership as long as possible to make sure that he can fix it. The dealership had my vehicle from August 8th to August 21st to fix this issue. On the day of pick-up, the service advisor told me that technician didn't change any part. Instead, he tweaked parts once again and test drove my vehicle - ultimately not hearing noise any further.

Surprise, surprise. When I was driving today (August 22nd), the noise resurfaced again. My fiance, who always rides with me, can even hear this noise. I plan to contact the local dealership to take a look again. However, I am afraid that the dealership will not do anything aside from tweaking parts again. In addition, I am so annoyed as the dealership is 30 miles away from my home and my previous German cars (MB and BMW and Porsche) never had a noise problem. Since this is my first Audi, I honestly don't know what to do from now on. Experienced members of Audi owners, should I demand the local dealership to change any potentially problematic parts? Do I need to contact the Audi USA for resolution? What are ya'll advice? recommendations? I would love your input!

I am located in Austin, Texas if that helps!

Thank you everyone!

Harry
Old 08-22-2018, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Welcome to the Audi family. Sorry that you're having issues. I would try to video when the symptoms are acting up and then, try another Audi dealership if that's possible.

Excess noises as you describe are definitely not the norm.

Gook luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I actually did take numerous videos! I shared with service advisor and technician as well. This is one of videos that I shared. The sound is really noticeable from 0:42 onwards. This is really stressing me out, but I really hope that the problem can be rectified soon.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Audi A4 noise issue (1).mov (4.15 MB, 224 views)
Old 08-22-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Tracking down noise issues aren't easy. Especially if they are somewhat intermittent. That does sound like something is lose or bouncing around. Are you sure it's not something in your glove compartment or other storage area? Anyway, ask your dealership if they used chassis ears to try to locate the source of the noise. If they are just guessing and tightening things based on where they think the noise is coming from, then they will only find it by sheer luck. I concur, take it to another Audi dealer if that's possible.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That was my first solution. Making sure nothing in the compartment/interior in the car is causing that noise. Unfortunately, it was definitely coming from suspension or brake area. Well, technician claims to have used the chassis ear for few days. However, he said he could not pinpoint the source of noise.

There is another dealership in the area but I have been avoiding it since I had a pretty bad customer experience. However, I might have to consider taking my vehicle there if the current one cannot fix it.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-22-2018, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Harry,

Give them some time to fix the problem. I assume they are taking care of the problem at no expense to you.... And as long as they have your car, I assume you are in their loaner racking up miles.

Were I in your shoes I would talk to the service tech and ask them to bring you a loaner (something you'd like to drive) and take your car back to have them diagnose the noise. My dealer offers to pickup our cars all the time.

Once they have determined what the problem is then have that same tech drive the car out to you and listen to make sure the noise is gone.

And no, I would not ask them to just start changing potential parts. Good luck, just relax and this will be behind you before you know it.

I would also document each of the trips and what was done to resolve the issue and if they don't find the noise then you'll have documentation if you have to lemon law the car.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by andrewmr
Harry,

Give them some time to fix the problem. I assume they are taking care of the problem at no expense to you.... And as long as they have your car, I assume you are in their loaner racking up miles.

Were I in your shoes I would talk to the service tech and ask them to bring you a loaner (something you'd like to drive) and take your car back to have them diagnose the noise. My dealer offers to pickup our cars all the time.

Once they have determined what the problem is then have that same tech drive the car out to you and listen to make sure the noise is gone.

And no, I would not ask them to just start changing potential parts. Good luck, just relax and this will be behind you before you know it.

I would also document each of the trips and what was done to resolve the issue and if they don't find the noise then you'll have documentation if you have to lemon law the car.
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your comment. That’s what I precisely did. I told the dealership to take time as much as possible since I had a loaner. However, the dealership is the one that told me that it fixed the issue and I can return the loaner. I honestly don’t mind if the dealership can take a month and rack up few hundred miles if it can solve the problem at once.

Thankfully, yes, I have all document and I usually communicate via texts and emails so I have all the proofs!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 551 Likes on 371 Posts

Your problem sounds like this one:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...nical-2936384/
Old 08-22-2018, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
Thanks for commenting! I saw that post and shared it with technician. His reply was along the line of this kind of noise can various causes and reasons so nope but we gotta find the cause on our own to fix it.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It is most likely subframe bring loose and whenever you accelerate or break it moves and causes the noise. You should get AoA involved.

Quick Reply: What should I do?