A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Wheel options on the 2017's are horrible

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenneth Peter Delgado
I'd like to see some B8 peelers on the B9, preferably the wider S5 version with more concave. Don't suppose anyone is running these?
Originally Posted by zzz888
I agree 100%, I'm curious if anyone has 19 inch peelers or rotor wheels on the B9...
... not S5 peelers or rotors but here's 19" B8 S5 twinspokes.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel options on the 2017's are horrible-a4-w-s5-wheels.jpg  
Old 12-05-2016, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by up-n-coming
It would be nice if Audi gave us more choices. If you buy the A4 sedan in Germany you get your choice of five different 17" wheels, eight different 18" wheels and two choices if you want 19". That's a far cry from the total of three choices all together that we get. Makes me think the NA market isn't all that important to VAG. Fifteen choices vs three choices is ridiculous.
I'm sure there will be more wheel choices in the future.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W
I would have to disagree, I think the 18" wheel design is awesome. I was psyched when I learned they were the standard wheel on the Prem Plus. They are different and unique and mine aren't going anywhere.
+1 t that. Plus many people who usually don't care about rims and stuff (like my mother in law, wife, other relatives and friends) actually said that the 18"s look beautiful.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by cmg_r
This can be done. I have them on my B9.
Sorry, not crazy about them. I think they look great on the previous generations of Audis but not on this one. I'm sure I'm in the minority. You put it out there. I'm just giving you my opinion.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dave W
I would have to disagree, I think the 18" wheel design is awesome. I was psyched when I learned they were the standard wheel on the Prem Plus. They are different and unique and mine aren't going anywhere.
I agree completely with you. My car happened to have the 19" wheels because it was on the lot (and I love them), but I would have also been happy with the 18" wheels. They are unique and sharp.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is one of the first edition versions, and I bought it in spite of the wheels. I actually thought they were terrible. But, the majority of my family/friends have mentioned how much they like the wheels when they first see the car. Many people have said it is one of the features they like the best. I'm still surprised by that. They have grown on me a bit since I bought the car in May, but I still wouldn't go as far to say I really like them. I do think they will make a fine winter wheel whenever I decide to buy another set for regular use.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jay_O
My car is one of the first edition versions, and I bought it in spite of the wheels. I actually thought they were terrible. But, the majority of my family/friends have mentioned how much they like the wheels when they first see the car. Many people have said it is one of the features they like the best. I'm still surprised by that. They have grown on me a bit since I bought the car in May, but I still wouldn't go as far to say I really like them. I do think they will make a fine winter wheel whenever I decide to buy another set for regular use.
i saw a used first edition at the dealer today. someone traded it in with 3500 miles on it. those wheels though... really not that pretty. the premium plus 18s i have and i think they are nice, but not amazing, same with the 19s. but yeah agree with OP the wheel options are nothing special to downright, meh
Old 12-23-2016, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Yup

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
Wheels are very subjective, but for me the black painted insides is a deal breaker on any wheel design. I simply hate them. They happen to be in vogue these days but give me a classic 5- or 7-spoke wheel in all-silver and I'll be happy. The 19" sport option with a gazillion spokes is better suited to a luxury version than sport.
I couldn't agree more. I hate wheels with polished fronts and black insides. They look 2-dimensional and lose all appearance of concavity. Not sure why 5- and 7-spoke wheels have fallen out of favor; they look great in motion and look STRONG, not spindly.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I noticed today that, from a pure design standpoint, the notches on the spindles of the 19" wheels pretty much complement the notches/angles in the headlights, so whether anyone likes them or not they are consistent with the new body design. Wheels from the last-gen Audis were designed for the last-gen Audis.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel options on the 2017's are horrible-2017-audi-a4-wheels.jpg  
Old 12-23-2016, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Black painted pockets actually give the wheel more depth, not less. The darker areas appear as shadows, which makes those spaces look farther away than the lighter colored fascia.

But overall, I am still disappointed with all A4 wheel choices. Back in 2002, Audi was imitating wheels of Ferrari models. Mostly sporty five-spokers. Wish to see those come back again. Oddly, there a set of optional Ford Explorer XLT rims that would actually look really good on the A4.

Quick Reply: Wheel options on the 2017's are horrible