A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Windshield Crack & Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Crack & Replacement

Rock flung at my windshield today on the freeway and will now need to get the windshield replaced.

Read that the cameras may need to be recalibrated with a windshield replacement.

I know that Geico works with Safelite and there is no cost difference for me whether I go to the dealer or have Safelite send out a mobile tech. Has anyone had to replace their windshield on their B9 and gone through either Safelite or the dealer?
Old 04-08-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I went through safelite. I had to specifically request oem glass. I had to sign a waiver because of the sensors that they might have to get recalibrated. I think the bill on replacement was around $900 installed. Not including sensor adjustment.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by blind1595
Rock flung at my windshield today on the freeway and will now need to get the windshield replaced.

Read that the cameras may need to be recalibrated with a windshield replacement.

I know that Geico works with Safelite and there is no cost difference for me whether I go to the dealer or have Safelite send out a mobile tech. Has anyone had to replace their windshield on their B9 and gone through either Safelite or the dealer?
If there is no cost difference, why don't you let the dealer do the work and get the camera calibrated by them?
Old 04-08-2017, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

I had my windshield replaced on my A6 and no calibration was necessary. If the B9 is similar to the C7, the camera is integrated into a plastic housing which has a single connector and should just pop off as one unit. Then it's replaced in the same spot. I've had no issues with the ACC. Be sure the installer uses a new rain sensor pad on the replacement windshield or the auto rain sensor will no longer operate. The pad cannot be reused once removed from the glass.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

It sucks that you need to get the windshield replaced. We had to have it done twice on 2 different vehicles and the first time, a company came to our house and did it in our driveway. The second time we took it to the dealer and had them do it.

The one issue aside of the camera I would caution you about, is the seals.....if they are not done correctly, you will get more wind noise than you currently get. So pay close attention to this, we were not happy with the dealers job and instantly noticed the additional wind noise.

The first time we dd it, we didn't have any issues and maybe that was because it was a company that just specialized in replacing windshields and they were much more adept at it. But I doubt the dealer's mechanics will do this, they will most likely hire someone to do it for them, so in that regard, while the dealer is ultimately responsible, you don't get any say in who is doing the work.

Good luck
Old 04-09-2017, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This was all really helpful. Thank you so much!