A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Windshield Marks from Factory

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield Marks from Factory

I've noticed something interesting on my car. Whenever the windshield gets super foggy on the inside, all kinds of marks begin to appear on the windshield. There are circles that show up everywhere, and in the middle, what looks like a bunch of lettering saying "UV" and all kinds of other things. My guess is this is an imprint left behind from a paper that was once stuck on the windshield, and the circular marks were from the machines to hold the glass for the windshield factory install.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this on their car? I have cleaned the windshield thouroughly but they still show up if the window gets fogged up.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bk6000
I've noticed something interesting on my car. Whenever the windshield gets super foggy on the inside, all kinds of marks begin to appear on the windshield. There are circles that show up everywhere, and in the middle, what looks like a bunch of lettering saying "UV" and all kinds of other things. My guess is this is an imprint left behind from a paper that was once stuck on the windshield, and the circular marks were from the machines to hold the glass for the windshield factory install.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this on their car? I have cleaned the windshield thouroughly but they still show up if the window gets fogged up.
Good question, have seen the same on my A4.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I am guessing it is from the equipment they use to calibrate and align the driver assistance sensors and/or the pre-sense camera...the latter of which is standard on all cars in the US.

The suction cups for installing the glass would be fitted to the outside of a window.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Yup. I’ve seen those on all my VAG cars too. They usually stick a paper on the windshield with car info and that leaves a mark on the windshield which show up when it fogs up. I guess the only way to remove it is to clean the inside and outside of the windshield vey well. You can check out detailing videos on YouTube that show how to properly clean the windshield/glass. One of my favorite detailers is Pan the organiser. He has a video where he shows how to clean windshields properly and even coat them.

Last edited by VipinLJ; 09-20-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

This is normal for any brand. Easily removed using 0000 steel wool pad to clean the windshield thoroughly. Just Goggle or YouTube it for instructions.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

It's from all of the papers/ stickers on the windshield from the factory. This the best I've captured. Nothing at all on the windshield.

Windshield Marks from Factory-gv7ildg.jpg
Old 09-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
It's from all of the papers/ stickers on the windshield from the factory. This the best I've captured. Nothing at all on the windshield.

That's exactly what I'm seeing. Were you able to remove it by cleaning?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bk6000
That's exactly what I'm seeing. Were you able to remove it by cleaning?
Wasn't my car, just one at work. A good cleaning should remove it though; I haven't seen it on any of my cars.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that's bad. I get frustrated with the off gassing from the plastic in the interior sticking to the windshield, but that's nothing compared to this mess.

I've seen windshields cleaned with magic erasers, but I can't bring myself to do it to my car. I'm afraid the thing will drip on my dash and cause discoloration.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Timfoilhat
Wow that's bad. I get frustrated with the off gassing from the plastic in the interior sticking to the windshield, but that's nothing compared to this mess.

I've seen windshields cleaned with magic erasers, but I can't bring myself to do it to my car. I'm afraid the thing will drip on my dash and cause discoloration.
Couldn't you just put a towel on your dash while you work? But really, if you squeeze a Magic Eraser hard, they won't really retain much, if any, liquid to drip at all.

Quick Reply: Windshield Marks from Factory