A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Wishing for a wallet key

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Wishing for a wallet key

I wonder why Audi did away with those flat plastic valet keys that used to come with the car. I kept it in my wallet, and it came in very handy. I can't tell you how many times I went to the parking lot at work to get something out of the car, only to discover that I had forgotten my remote key. No problem, I had the valet key in my wallet, saving me from having to go up three floors back to my office.

Meanwhile, what happens if I'm out of town and the battery dies in my remote key? I've got no way to get in the car and drive ... unless I have the remote spare on me.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

If the key fob dies, use the mechanical key inside of it to unlock the door and then place the fob at the front of the center armrest (there is a key symbol on the rubber pad there) and the car will start.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
If the key fob dies, use the mechanical key inside of it to unlock the door and then place the fob at the front of the center armrest (there is a key symbol on the rubber pad there) and the car will start.
Thanks. But that does not address my biggest fear -- losing the key fob when I'm away from home. With no key in my wallet, I'm stuck.

Aslo what do I do in this situation: Tomorrow I'm leaving my car in a lot where they ask for your key so they can move cars around when needed. If I give him my whole key fob, the attendant will have access to my glove compartment and trunk. If I give him the remote only, without the mechanical key, he will not be able to attach an identifying tag to the fob, or hang it on a rack as they usually do. A minor inconvenience, I know ...
Old 10-26-2017, 01:37 PM
vgt
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're dropping it off an an untrustworthy place, take your stuff out of the trunk/glove box.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Thanks. But that does not address my biggest fear -- losing the key fob when I'm away from home. With no key in my wallet, I'm stuck.

Aslo what do I do in this situation: Tomorrow I'm leaving my car in a lot where they ask for your key so they can move cars around when needed. If I give him my whole key fob, the attendant will have access to my glove compartment and trunk. If I give him the remote only, without the mechanical key, he will not be able to attach an identifying tag to the fob, or hang it on a rack as they usually do. A minor inconvenience, I know ...
Hopefully you could get somoene to overnight the spare it to you if that happens.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You can get one from eBay. The blank costs about $3.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by IMYM
You can get one from eBay. The blank costs about $3.
They don't start the car ...
Old 10-28-2017, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

As A4 said: Just a key won't start the car, and it won't disarm the "immobilizer" function to allow starting. A flat metal (or plastic) key without the valet box gizmo, just opens the door cylinders. Depending on how badly you want to pursue it...

The AAA used to very quietly make plastic "cut from a credit card" keys for members. Apparently they no longer do this, but the machines and blanks must have been bought from SOMEONE out there, who should still be making plastic keys for wallet carry. If not...those metal blanks from ebay, with the head ground thinner, would do.

Valets are problematic, that's what the whole factory plastic valet box gizmo was about. If you're really security oriented (since keyless entry systems are all easily defeated these days) you can pout in a decent tracking system, the kind that notifies you "on event" by SMS. And you can set some up so that opening the trunk trips an event sensor, so you'll find out right away if the valet has popped the trunk, parked the car, or moved the car. Pricey but comprehensive.

For emergency use on the road, you can also buy a complete second key+fob (pricey to get that & have it programmed) and then bury that under the car. Like really out of reach, and covered with a piece of tar paper or other thick black soundproofing, etc. sheet. Unlikely to be seen and a PITA but accessible if you really need it.

These are Audi's. Nothing is supposed to be easy except calling the dealer and signing the papers.