A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

You can't have nice things........

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default You can't have nice things........

I have mentioned ad nauseam about distracted drivers and the problem they pose for all of us out there. I have posted about the miserable driving conditions in the NYC/NE NJ area. I use extra caution when driving, keenly aware of the inconsiderate/poor/distracted drivers on the roads. In fact one of the main reasons I sold my Macan was to get a smaller better commuter car with more safety features as well as easier on the budget to drive and maintain. And I've been driving in the NYC area for 45 years, so I'm familiar with driving in rough areas. And I obviously understand that "accidents" happen any and everywhere. Thinking about it we use the terms accidents too loosely, shouldn't it be called "negligent occurrences?"

Anyhoooooo, I'm on road not far from me in NJ, heading into NYC this morning, barely any traffic at all, stopped at a light, enjoying that wonderful Bose system, then boom, rear ended by a woman in a van. Turns out she was looking at a map. She was totally and sincerely apologetic, but that's beside the point. I'm guessing a new bumper and hope that the damage is confined to that and nothing more.

My initial reaction was anger, then after a few moments, some reflection and a basic resignation that putting so much detailing attention, time and care into a 50k car isn't the best allocation of resources - emotional and financial. As much as I like my A4 - I was tinkering with the idea of taking a look at the 2017 S4 next year - and my head still turns when looking at a Macan, l have simply come to the conclusion that you could be the most defensive and skilled driver around, but still at the mercy of all too many poor drivers. Kind of ticks me off, because I was also rear ended in my Q5 2 years ago, same scenario - police report cited "driver inattention." End of the day though, the world did not stop turning, no one was hurt, insurance will pay, I'll probably look into filing a loss of value suit, the car will be fixed good as new and I'll be back in business. But I won't be looking into costly cosmetic or performance upgrades or those $450.00 full coverage floor mats and might even return that not yet delivered black stainless license plate cover.

I'll still take good care of it - inside and out and enjoy that sporty A4 ride, enjoy and participate in the the Audi forums, but realize, at the end of the day, it's just a car.
Attached Thumbnails You can't have nice things........-audi-damage.jpg  

Last edited by bob m; 08-28-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are ok, and it looks like your A4 just has minor damage.

Yes, sometimes there is nothing you can do to avoid an accident. That's why I've been very hesitant to put anything aftermarket on any of my cars in a long long time. I've been toying with the idea of Opti-Coat Pro on my A4, but it occurred to me that this expense could be a total waste of money if the car is in an accident. I mentioned this to the detailer, and he suggested calling my insurance company -- that perhaps I can add this as an extra to my policy so if the car is in an accident, insurance would pay to have Opti-Coat reapplied to the affected area. I'm going to have to give them a call and see what they say.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Im sorry to hear and glad that nobody got hurt. My C7 A6 was rear ended 6 months old, minor damage to the bumper (no crack, just some scratches) resulted in a $5k bill to the other drivers insurance. My dealer also gave me some hard time when trading in that A6 for the A4, saying that it was in an accident (even though all insurance companies told me that there is no diminished value). Audi Side Assist has radar sensors behind the bumper, some antennas for LTE/3G might still be there also.

That being said, I'm much more relaxed now when something like this happens. 10 years ago it would have been major disaster, 20 years ago almost the end of the world. Now it just gets fixed until it's back in the shape that it was in before the accident. They did a great job on the A6, even after 4 years nobody could tell that the rear bumper was fixed. My 2004 A4 had the left front fender replaced after an accident and looks much better now than the right one which is starting to rust after 12 years :-)
Old 08-29-2016, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. I'm glad no one was hurt.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks guys. As I mentioned, this was sort of like a wake up call - more important things in life to obsess over.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5273
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are ok, and it looks like your A4 just has minor damage.

Yes, sometimes there is nothing you can do to avoid an accident. That's why I've been very hesitant to put anything aftermarket on any of my cars in a long long time. I've been toying with the idea of Opti-Coat Pro on my A4, but it occurred to me that this expense could be a total waste of money if the car is in an accident. I mentioned this to the detailer, and he suggested calling my insurance company -- that perhaps I can add this as an extra to my policy so if the car is in an accident, insurance would pay to have Opti-Coat reapplied to the affected area. I'm going to have to give them a call and see what they say.
talked to my insurance about stuff like that, clear bra, window tint. They said as long as I have proof that I had it on there before the accident they will reimburse me to have the tint and or clear bra replaced. I don't know about stuff like opti-coat but my insurance is really good so I would think so. I have State Farm.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Thanks guys. As I mentioned, this was sort of like a wake up call - more important things in life to obsess over.
As others have said, sorry about the accident, but glad to hear you're OK.

Just the other day I thinking about the huge amount of money (huge for me, at least) that I spent on my new A4, and thinking I'm probably not going to do that next time. I'm the only person who appreciates and gets to enjoy my car ... but it doesn't do anything more or get me any further than a lesser car would.

Sure, I get some bragging rights and get to see looks of amazement when I show people features like the Tech Package/Navigation in my car, but is that worth the big monthly payments?

Don't get me wrong, I am a automotive enthusiast and am having a blast driving my B9, but like Bob M said, "It's just a car."
Old 08-29-2016, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Glad to hear it was minor as well with no real harm.

Life is short. Drive what makes you happy. Don't worry about what you can't control. Loving my new A4. Had the same thought about the extra cash vs. say an Accord or Camry, but we spend so much time in our vehicles, why not enjoy life a little? It's not like we went way out there and spent $80k on a new S6 (but it did cross my mind briefly as I was drooling over the one in the showroom!)
Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Nash
Glad to hear it was minor as well with no real harm.

Life is short. Drive what makes you happy. Don't worry about what you can't control. Loving my new A4. Had the same thought about the extra cash vs. say an Accord or Camry, but we spend so much time in our vehicles, why not enjoy life a little? It's not like we went way out there and spent $80k on a new S6 (but it did cross my mind briefly as I was drooling over the one in the showroom!)
I'm with you on this! Life is short. I've worked hard for what I want. Yea a car get's you from point A to Point B as my wife likes to remind me but as August Horch (Audi Founder) once said "Any car that merely takes you from A to B does not go far enough."
Old 08-29-2016, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I spend 20 hours a week in my car to and from work. It might as well be a peaceful, enjoyable experience. I love my A4 so far, and my wife is a fan too (she wanted a Lexus but is a convert now). It's a fun car to drive and enjoy.

Quick Reply: You can't have nice things........