A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

"Your Route Guidance Is Not Activated" - Please explain...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Your Route Guidance Is Not Activated" - Please explain...

We recently purchased a 2017 Audi A4 that includes the MMI Navigation Plus package. The navigation system works fine when manually using it; however, when I tap the "Nav" button on the steering wheel controls I receive the verbal response that "Voice Guidance Is Not Activated." I was wondering if voice guidance is not working because I had not yet subscribed to Audi Connect Prime so I subscribed yesterday and activated it for an 18 month period at a cost of $499. But still no voice guidance. We are thoroughly enjoying the vehicle but I am puzzled as to why the navigation voice command is not working and easy to operate, and why it would require the extra Audi Connect subscription (and cost), if, in fact, that is required. Our other vehicles, a Subaru Legacy and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, utilize voice navigation that operated flawlessly as we drove the vehicles off the lot after purchase and have continued to perform perfectly. My Internet search indicates many other Audi owners have had the same question. - Your guidance will be greatly appreciated. - Thank you.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you contacted your dealer? Never heard that before as guidance works whether or not you sign up for Audi Connect.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The button you are pressing reads out the last spoken instruction. If you don't have a destination entered, it will say exactly what you quoted. There is a separate button to give commands to the car, including navigation amongst other things.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the quick reply and for confirming that Audi Connect is not required. I didn't think it was but then I wondered. Going to the dealer is my next move. I've tried using the system via both the voice command button and the Nav button to no avail so it will apparently need a dealer fix. - Appreciate your reply...
Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks very much for the follow-up. I've tried both the Nav button and the Voice command button but neither have worked. My next step is returning to the dealer. - Appreciate your feedack.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

So what happens exactly when you press the voice button? Does the MMI screen display a list of possible commands? Do you get any voice prompt? We might be able to point you in the right direction if you tell us what exactly happens. If you bought this car used, then the previous owner may have changed the settings, so it's a good idea to perform a factory reset and put everything back to its default settings. Go to the main menu, then press Setup MMI (top right) and select the factory reset/delete user data option from the menu. Check all the components and perform the reset.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 118 Posts

Also, if you have a phone connected via bluetooth a short press on the button lets you talk to the car and a long press routes you to the phone voice recognition system (at least with an iPhone). So you probably do not want a long press on the voice button.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Pressing that button only repeats the last navigation instruction. Set a destination and it will work.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Pressing that button only repeats the last navigation instruction. Set a destination and it will work.
This is very helpful if/when you miss a nav instruction due to someone talking, loud music etc.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
You can also adjust the navigation volume by pressing the button then immediately using the console volume **** or steering wheel scroll dial to increase or decrease the spoken directions.

Quick Reply: "Your Route Guidance Is Not Activated" - Please explain...