A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

2003-2006 Audi Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default 2003-2006 Audi Cabriolet

Hello all,
We're thinking about adding a 2003-2006 cabriolet to the family, which year is the best one and what to look for and what to avoid? We prefer the 3.0 because we don't really like the reliability of any turbo stuff, are we wrong?

Thanks,

Louis
Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like you've got some experience with Audis. I had a 2003 3.0 Cabriolet for nearly 8 years, then traded it in last Fall on a 2011 A4 sedan. If I had to do it again, I'd avoid the CVT transmission, and be prepared to face problems with the top's rear window coming loose. I don't remember if they offered the 3.0 Cab with Quattro. If they did, I'd look for one of those, because they didn't use the CVT transmission. The rear window has a number of remedies that are the subject of a multi-page thread on this forum. Apart from those items, the cars are generally no more trouble-prone than any other Audi sedan would be. I personally preferred the looks of the 2003-05 cars. I believe they all were relatively unchanged mechanically from 2003 to 06, apart from more aluminum in the B7 cars' suspensions. If my son hadn't grown so much during the time I had my Cabriolet, I probably would have gotten another Cab. At six-feet, he simply didn't fit into the Cab's rear seat anymore.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Brian, the one we looked at doesn't seem to have the problem at the rear window glass. May be some do and some don't. It's a 2004. So the transmission is the problem? We've been lucky with all our Audis about these transmission stuff. Again, we believe some do and some don't.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

We went to see a 2003 red one today with 75k miles on it, it's so solid and fast, great little car, not as comfortable as the A6 or A8 but very stable for a convertible. We love the sports seats, which package includes these sport seats?
BTW, the rear window has glue with some separation between the glass and the canvas on the outside. It looks intact but we can still see the dried glue and the gap between glass and the seam.
Some cars claim to have sport package but don't have these sport seats (recaro type)?
Using tiptronic, it shows 6 speeds like our Q7 but we couldn't shift to "6"?

Thanks,

Louis
Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 3.0 cabriolet

I have a 3.0 with 165k on it. While it has been mostly trouble free, I think they are more expensive to perform certain maintenance, namely the timing belt (very expensive) and the O2 sensors. For the life of me I can't figure out how to access the sensors. I've received a quote of $875 to replace one sensor! (if anyone can tell me here how to access it, it would be great - remove driveshaft and go up?). I've also had a lot of trouble with coils...
Old 04-26-2011, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

You'll probably find more info on the regular B6 A4 forum if you want advice for pure mechanical questions or issues than you will here. That forum is much more active than the B6 A4 Cabriolet forum is. Also, there was a coil recall about three years ago. I personally never had any coil problems before or after the recall. I had a 2003 3.0 Cab.

Last edited by Brian Cecil; 04-26-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hello all,
Thanks for the feed back, I've owned audis for many years now and maintenance will not be an issue because there will be none :-). Transmission is the one I can't fix, but if it's needed then I may have to learn how to fix it. The coils on the car I looked at were replaced.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

It seems to me that any Audi which has a malfunctioning transmission would be a good candidate for running away from if you're looking to buy it. By the way, there are four major options for a rear window/top separation: 1) re-glueing, either by a convertible specialty shop, or by the owner. Cost is virtually free if done by the owner, or up in the hundreds if done by a specialty shop; 2) top replacement with a non-standard top. Cost runs about $2,000; 3)top replacement with another Audi top at an Audi dealer. Cost runs about $6,000; and 4) ignore it and learn to live with it. Keep your eyes open and notice the glass rear windows of convertibles. A surprising number are held in place with duct tape. Others are just flopping around loosely. Convertible rear windows used to be plastic, which generally faded and clouded up, but which usually stayed attached to the top. Glass convertible rear windows look better, don't fade, and have defrosters built in. But they come loose.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A lot of other manufacturers use a gasket around the rear window instead of gluing them in. I also suspect the separation has a lot to do with the canvas shrinking; possibly because it's seen a lot of direct sun. When I was buying my s4 convertible, every single lease return car that came from Cali or AZ was at some stage of the window separating. None of the local cars did (PacNW). Then again, local cars here are probably getting a lot less top down time too.

You might want to expand your search to S4; when I was looking they didn't command much of a premium over the 3.0 and they're a lot more fun if this is going to be a part-time car.

This is a B6, so don't forget about control arm bushings. I'd be willing to bet since this car is heavier than the sedan or avant that they go quicker.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm picking up the 04 this weekend. Where is this manual crank for the top, the owner doesn't seem to know. I read somewhere it's in the fuse box, and where is this fuse box, on the driver side of the dashboard?
This car has no separation on the canvas and glass, it's 3.0 and owner never had any hic-ups with the trannie. I think all these problems depend upon how the cars were made and used like Oblu mentioned. Hopefully I can have it for 5 years without any problems, then it's done.

Thanks,

Louis

Quick Reply: 2003-2006 Audi Cabriolet