A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

A4 Cabriolet Headliner rip

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Cabriolet Headliner rip

This is the third time that the seam in the headliner below and to the right of the window - going down to the rear shelf has split.

The first time this happened, the dealer fixed it (under warranty). The second time this happened it was also under warranty and the dealer fixed it. At that time, he said something about a clip that needed replacing.

I'm no longer in warranty and it has split again.

How prevalent is this? What are my options? Can I go to an independent convertible repair place? And if so, would that likely be cheaper or better (or worse?) than the dealer

thanks
doug
Old 03-05-2010, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had this problem myself, and I can't remember reading about anyone who's had it.

Speaking for myself, I'd take it to the dealer and get a proper diagnosis and repair quote. If I thought it's too high, I'd try out some of the local, established convertible repair shops. They often are able to repair or replace a fabric top at a cost savings.

There's a thread on this Cabriolet forum which is several pages long, concerning problems with the convertible top. A case in point is the Audi practice of replacing tops when the rear window comes loose, at a cost of around $6K. I recall at least one person mentioned a non-Audi replacement top available for around $2K.

I saw an Audi Cabriolet in a local parking lot a few days ago with a non-Audi top. It may have cost less than the Audi top, but it was also visibly cheaper -- lower quality. That's why it was so easy to spot.