A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Battery / No Start 2003 A4 Cabriolet Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery / No Start 2003 A4 Cabriolet Problem...

I am having a bit of a problem with my 2003 A4 cabriolet. Wednesday after work I went out and the car would not start. It made a 'chatter' sound then would not start. I opened the windows (hot outside) and tried to start again. I though I may not be fully seated in park, depressed the brake, made sure it was in park, turned the key to ACCY and then after bulb check and radio came on, I cranked again and the car started. Check engine light was on and the date and time were re-set. I drove for about 0.2 miles and the check engine light went off. Then garaged the car over night. Thought it may have been a fluke where the shifter was not completely in park.

Yesterday morning I went to start the car and she had a very rough start. I let it sit for a good 30 seconds (putting the top up) and shut her down and re-started. Still a rough start. Decided not to drive the car today and drove other car to work.

Finally today, I went to re-start the car... same symptoms as on Wednesday. No start with re-setting the date and time.

Some history, I just had 3 coils replaced and the Audi Dealership last month. I do not trust this dealership but I had a bad coil and was running on 3 cylinders so I needed to go to the closest dealership for the repair. They also found a leaky engine gasket and replaced that. ALSO, my hubby accidentally put the wrong fuel type in the car; 89 octane. I stopped him about 1/2 way and made him cash out and finish with the 93 octane. Should have averaged out to the 91 minimum...but maybe that has something to do with it.

If I have to pay 5-6 hundred per month to keep this car running...I know I will have to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

Here is my plan when I get home from work:
Check the battery voltage(it was odd that the clock and the date re-set. hoping that it may just mean the battery is going and on a crank it won't provide enough current?? I have not replaced the battery and I am the only owner of this car.)
Check spark plugs? (this I am not sure how to do, but I ordered the repair manual and should be able to figure it out)

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Lisa