A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Calling all 3.0 CVT drivers (longish post - sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all 3.0 CVT drivers (longish post - sorry)

Hi - would dearly love your help. As you may have read I've been having a few problems with getting my dealer to take me seriously.

One of the problems with my car is the exhaust noise eminating from the manifold area. It sounds tinny and tinkly, some have said like a clockwork toy, others have said it makes the car sound like a diesel (but it's not actually that bad). It's most noticeable with the windows down driving along a street where the sound can bounce off nearby buildings, other cars, etc.

Audi are saying it is 'normal' and is due to the design of the manifold on the 3.0 engine. When mated to the CVT it is very noticeable because of the load placed on the engine, comparitive to the low engine revs, i.e. because the volume from the drivetrain is low you can hear the exhaust.

I simply don't buy this. It's a £35k/$50k car and I don't take kindly to being told that because I've bought the most expensive powerplant/gearbox combo I've got to put up with this awful sound.

So my question is:

1. Who has this problem?
2. Who is unhappy with it?
3. What has your dealer said?

Really appreciate your time.

Tks

Moro.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Calling all 3.0 CVT drivers (longish post - sorry)

Hi, MoroCab. I've noticed my 3.0 with CVT is somewhat noisy, especially on initial start-up on a cold engine. It really does sound like a diesel for the first 2-3 seconds. I've also noticed the engine has a rather "busy" sound even when warm.

I've attributed all this to several factors:
1) it's an aluminum engine mated to many non-aluminum accessories and components, all of which have varying rates of expansion due to heat. A cold-engine start could be noisy because of the initial loose clearances needed to compensate for subsequent expansion, as the aluminum components expand with heat.
2) there really are a lot of bits and pieces in these engines -- 30 valves, four camshafts, a balance shaft, and six pistons, just for starters.

That said, many people believe that mechanical noise from a well-designed engine is GOOD. Consider the mechanical symphony one hears from a Ferrari, for example.

One thing will resolve if your car's sounds are an abnormality: time. Mechanical problems rarely cure themselves -- they generally get worse over time. So monitor the sounds over time, and if they worsen, insist that the dealer check the situation over. If you truly dislike the noise, and if it truly is a normal element of Cabriolet ownership, maybe you should consider the purchase of a different vehicle. The money you've paid for your car should be sufficient to buy you peace of mind and happiness.

Regards, Brian.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind up toy...

I get the same 'wind up toy' sound as well. I hear it most when accelerating while the top is down. I've learned to get used to it, but it is sometimes embarrassing when people are around since the car sounds broken.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tell the dealer.....

you want to drive another one (or 2); if they make the same sound it's probably normal. If not, insist they find out what's wrong.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:49 AM

MC
You already know my views on the exhaust sound of 3.0 CVT. I agree entirely with your views. I would not be happy if I had bought a 3.0 CVT as I find the exhaust sound somewhat embarrasingly puny when driving around town at low revs. Keep on at Audi UK . I'm surprised none of the car mags have commented on it - makes you think they get backhanders!!!
Mark - Yorkshire
Old 04-13-2003, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have 3.0 CVT and don't have the noise that you are describing. My engine is a little noisy with a cold start but once warm is very quiet and I only have a fairly deep and throaty but not loud exhaust note when the engine is under load. Question for you. Does the noise only occur when the engine is under load or does it occur anytime the engine is running?
Old 04-13-2003, 11:41 PM

I too have noticed a tappet type noise at low revs whilst driving around town and also the tinny metallic vibration when parking and especially when reversing into my garage. the tinny noise sounds like a vibrating sump tray or heat shield and i have not got round to investigating. the tappety noise is annoying although after 4k miles, the exhaust note is getting deeper. I did expect a smoother and deeper tone to the exhaust note as it is a V6 and as someone has said, the engine does sound course and racy when warm and not as smooth as i would have expected. My previous TT 225 felt smoother and certainly sounded better !

I am looking into an after market back box mod to see if i can get a slightly more pleasing sound.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Calling all 3.0 CVT drivers

Morocab,

My 3.0 CVT doesn't make the noise you describe. I have even tried parking between two walls with the roof down and revving the engine but cannot replicate the sound you describe. I do however get a tinny vibration sound inside the car when accelerating. It seems to travel up the steering column. This sound is a bit tinkly. Could this be the noise you describe? Only ask as other people thought the noise from the sunvisors was coming from the dashboard - just shows how the origin of a sound can be confusing to people.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:31 AM

Default 3.0 litre engine ( long)

Test drove 3.0 with cvt, no toy noise, my 3.0 with manual, barely audible till 3000 rpm, then gradual rise in volume and nice reserved roar by the time you reach 5000 rpm, sounds ok till you get within 500 rpm of red line when it starts to sound a bit coarse.... Noise suits the car perfectly. This is how a 3 litre should sound, but if the cvt isn't letting you rev.... then it should be silent. Sounds like something needs tightening / padding better with your box. Best of luck getting it sorted - if no luck try another dealer - Audi seems to have very variable dealers..????
Old 04-14-2003, 05:12 AM

Default Re: 3.0 litre engine ( long)

MC
Curiouser and curiouser !!!!!
Mark- Yorkshire

Quick Reply: Calling all 3.0 CVT drivers (longish post - sorry)