A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Calling all 3.0 CVT drivers (longish post - sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0 litre engine (manual box)

FWIW my 3.0 manual sounds exactly as described by MoroBlueUK - very quiet below 3k then nice smooth roar. No silly noises.

viffer.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:27 AM

Default Very interesting - big thanks to everyone

OK it seems that we have 4 people who have experienced the problem (me, Mark, Anim8or and mole) and 4 who haven't (MoroBlueUK, ragdude, Brian and CabDriver) .. interesting. I assume that half of you aren't deaf and therefore really don't have the problem!!!

It is quite distinctive, or perhaps I'm being fussy compared to my 2 previous cabs (Boxster and SLK) but my previous shape Audi cab didn't do it either (mind you neither did it rattle like this one).

If 50% don't have the problem then I feel I have something to persue Audi with. They are still saying that it exists on all 3.0 CVT's.

MoroBlueUK - to answer your question, have been with a second dealer since Feb. Better but not perfect.

Brian - I don't buy your explaination at all. I've owned many cars that are as complex, if not more complex, than the Audi V6 and they have managed to produce a better engineered car. I agree with you that good mechanical noise can enhance the experience (I've owned a Boxster and an M3) but a lot of the noises/vibrations from the Audi detract from the experience. I probably will change the car soon, my point is that I bought this car without being able to drive one, so you have only the Audi marketing speak to go on. In this case I feel mis-sold to.

MY - I agree entirely on the issue of road reviews. Surely someone would have picked up on this.

Mole - I would be very very interested if you can find an after market solution. My intent would be to try and claim some compensation through Audi (still trying for the interior light pack too!) to cover the cost.

Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Calling all 3.0 CVT drivers (longish post - sorry)

My previous car was a 2000 Audi S4. It had a loose exhaust heat shield that made a tinkling noise, very annoying until I fixed it.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:56 AM

No CabDriver, this is a very mechanical sound. What I can't understand is why you don't have it.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:04 AM

Default Updated response from Audi

I received this by email this morning. To put it in context what the dealer is saying is that there is a reason why the sound differs between the 2.4 and 3.0 but there is no reason why there will be a sound difference between 3.0 models. So, either Mark, me, Mole and Anim8or are imagining it, or the rest of you need your hearing checked! Either way I don't think they intend to investigate further.

"With regard to the exhaust system, there are different front pipes (left &
right) with catalytic converters for the 3litre. 1 type for manual 1 type
for cvt, there has been no modifications or updates for these since
production started, the centre exhaust & rear exhausts (rear are also the
same for the 2.4) are identical for 3 litre whether manual or cvt.

The only reason I can see for the difference would be the shape to clear the
differences in the size & shape of the respective gearboxes."
Old 04-24-2003, 02:45 PM

Hi MoroCab

You are not going mad. We have just bought a new 3 litre multitronic cab and have had the following probs from day 1.

1. Air con not working
2. Noise from the roof near the rear offside
3. Blowing from exhaust manifold

The blowing has been pointed out by me to a technichan. Told nothing wrong. Upon complaining about all the other probs. I was offered a master technichan to come home and listen. He has agreed with me.
The way to spot this is to take the roof off, reverse or pull away gently and the blowing is evident and definately from the manifold area. The car also seems to lack power low down and may be attribuied to this.
The master tech seems to think that it has been documented on and audi technical cd and is looking into.

This is an ongoing issue I am now trying to resolve and will keep you posted.