A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Changing the battery in an A4 Cab, 2004

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the battery in an A4 Cab, 2004

2004, Audi A4 Cabriolet, 38000 miles, used for road trips and fun driving. Los Angeles area.

(Sorry for the lengthy entry, but I learned some things about chaning a battery in this car that should be added to instructions you will find on internet/audiworld searches for this subject.
I hope you will find this information helpful.)

I went to start the car as I do every two weeks, if it’s not being used. Take it for a little spin and let her rest again. This time however, the door didn’t unlock with the remote, the interior lights were dim, turn the key.... click...tatatatatatatatatatatat. The car being over 5 years old, it’s time to replace the factory original battery.

Don’t bother looking for a replacement from PEP Boys... they don’t carry one. Audi dealer parts departments carry a replacement battery.... if you want it installed or can visit the dealer during banker hours, Monday through Friday. In all fairness and appreciation to a nearby Audi parts department guy, he told me to visit a Volkswagen dealer, usually open on Saturdays, to get the exact....yes, exact same battery for less money... 60 dollars less.

Take a picture of the battery top or take detailed notes of the amps, model number and manufacturer of the battery and bring that info to the VW parts department. The model number has changed at little bit, the new battery has a white casing instead of black, but identical to the original otherwise.

Do go to PEP Boys for their 6 dollar “Car Memory Keeper” that plugs into the cigarette lighter and uses a flat 9v battery. This prevents loosing all those memories... climate settings, seat positions, window positions, radio, security system, etc. while the battery is being changed. (It worked for me)

The batteries have two plastic lift handles, but the sucker is heavy. Work gloves will be easier and safer to maneuver the battery. Use a large towel to protect the paint on the quarter pannel.

This is important... Get a very long 6mm Ball-end Hex wrench. I used a 10” long -T handle - Bondhus (brand) part number 13168. It has to be long enough to get between the battery itself and the firewall to a 6mm hex bolt, which holds a bracket on the bottom lip of the battery. I cannot stress this enough.... your little hardware store hex wrench set is not going to cut it for this job. Make sure you can get to that bolt with a good tool. The battey post clamps can be loosened by the open end 10/13mm wrench that should be in your Audi tools, located next to the spare tire.

If you are mechanically inclined enough to change a battery from this point... you’ll see how easy this is.... just be sure to have that Memory Keeper in the cigarette lighter before you disconnect things. Use the correct tools, be carefull with the heavy battery, If you want more detailed step by step instructions. go to this link:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2700414

There are variations over the years and models, in my case, the long plastic cover could be pulled out without removing the weatherstripping on the firewall edge. When I finished, removed the memory keeper, only the clock had to be reset. All the other memories stayed in place. The ESP warning light came on, but went away after driving a block or two. No other issues.

Save lots of money, get that sense of accomplishment by doing something yourself. If you can afford it, don't care to get dirty... then by all means, take your car to a dealer for battery replacement.

-Sancab, LA, CA, USA
Old 09-20-2009, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post. Thanks.