A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

CVT Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT Reliability?

Hey Guys,

I am helping my dad look at B6 Audi A4 (sedans), and we stumbled upon a nice 2005 A4 1.8T FWD with CVT. It shifted smooth and drove nice, and my dad was very impressed.

We didn't buy it yet, but I came home and started doing some research and it looks like the CVT owners are having issues? I thought these were only on chipped cars, but it looks like it is happening on stock as well. (Even though my dad probably won't chip it or anything, it worries me.)

Now I know this is a forum, and people talk more about their issues than posting and saying everything works great! But I was going to get everyone's opinions on the CVT? You think by the last year in 2005 of the B6 chasis they hammered out some initial problems? Thanks in advance everyone, I greatly appreciate your input! =)

--Asif

Original Post:<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1089047.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1089047.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 03-01-2008, 07:06 AM

Default lots around, but the cost of rebuilt is so high I begged off and went with

a 3.0 Quattro.
I think the early problems have been fixed but failures still seem to be happening.
IMO if you want the car for long term use.. stay way from the CVT.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If you do enough research, you'll find every transmission type has issues

Manual trans loose synchros and clutches, tips loose what I think are referred to as "clutches" as well -- regardless of whether or not I got the tip terminology right, they have their own set of problems too. These are all high ticket items to repair.

CVT's seem to be coming down in cost to repair or replace, probably as a result of more repair shop experience with them. They used to just replace the whole transmission. Now the shops are increasingly able to replace just the component that failed.

But any car, from any manufacturer, with any kind of transmission, can have problems. There are high mileage CVT Audi's that never had transmission problems. There are new model manual or Tip Audi's that have had problems. The same's true of Honda, Ford, Chevy, Porsche, BMW -- you name it.

The main thing to look for is whether or not the car you're looking at pleases you, is worth the money, and has some sort of documentary history.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Any high mileage CVT owners in here?

Please care to chime in on your experience! Thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: If you do enough research, you'll find every transmission type has issues

Agreed. I think CVT's are becoming more popular. FYI, Audi and now Nissan continue to build many new cars with CVTs. I like the way they drive and the gas savings.

In the end, it comes down to this. I convinced an Audi will be more expensive to maintain to 200K than a honda. You must do things like replace the CVT fluid every 10K miles, use special oil. And Consumer reports indicates that a honda will definitely give you less trouble than an Audi when it's old.

Now, does this make me want a Civic. No. Becuase I earn enough the be able to afford a very nice car. I think this is the decision you need to make before you go in.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default OK -- Here's mine

2003 3.0 Cab with CVT: Replaced original CVT at 1,000 miles after fluid spots appeared under the front end. Presently have 18,500 miles on the car, with no transmission problems.

I've started threads on this forum, and on the A4B6 forum, and sent a letter to the tech adviser for Quatro magazine concerning the potential of my car to last 100,000 miles with maximum CVT reliability. Or, if the CVT is simply incapable of meeting that goal, which Audi transmission would be most able to meet it. The universal conclusion in all those media was: The CVT should be able to meet that mileage goal provided I change the transmission oil frequently. This advice is consistant with my own experience, having turned wrenches on cars, boats, motorcycles, and aircraft for the past forty-five years. I plan to change my CVT's oil every two years, regardless of mileage.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: OK -- Here's mine

The changing transmission oil sounds like good advice to me. I'll point out that the official maintenance guide for my 2006 says that changing the CVT fluid is required every 10k miles. Don't recall about the time vs. mileage issue, but it's probably 10k or 1 year.

I look at it just like changing the oil. Don't do it as suggested by the owner's manual and you are asking for trouble.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: CVT fluid change interval

I believe my 2005 manual says to change the fluid every 40,000 miles. Maybe Audi changed the interval to 10,000 miles because of the number of CVT replacements that they had to put in. My car has just shy of 20,000 miles so I think I will have it done.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default >80,000 miles on mine. No issues. You'll find more mileage on the CVT's of the A4 and A6 sedans

versus cabriolet owners.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:29 PM

Default Re: CVT Troubles

We purchased a new 03 A4 Cab (1.8) for our daughter back in 03. Last year she said it was hesitating while driving in city traffic. I drove it and found no problems. After doing it again several times the dealer looked at it.
Bad news from service manager this model transmission has a lot of problems, the car had 55K. She drove it while in college the past year. Now it has 62K. Last week the dealer gave us a price of $7,000.00 plus taxes to replace transmission, I asked about a rebuild and he told me that they have had a few rebuilt but most of them had problems before 12k miles.

Question: Is there a better way to fix the transmission without going through the dealer.
Yes they recommend buying a new car!

Quick Reply: CVT Reliability?