A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Differences between 05 and 06 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between 05 and 06 Cabriolet?

Hi everyone!

I've just become a member of the Audi family - just picked up my 2005 3.0L cabriolet in silver/black. It feels so solid and grounded and it drives so well in traffic and on the freeways. I spent some time trying to decide between the 2005 3.0L, the 2006 3.0L and the 2006 1.8T (this was the dealer inventory), and in the end chose the 2005 3.0L because it seemed to offer the best value for money. That said, I'm second-guessing myself a little, on the thinking that perhaps the 2006 has improvements over the 2005. Does anyone know what differences there are between the 2005 and 2006 model years?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Restyled for the middle of the 2005 model year, the A4 features the single-frame grille that has quickly become a hallmark of the Audi line. At the rear, new taillights add to the emphasis on the horizontal lines of styling, while the strong shoulder line is the focal point of the side view. Two new engines, a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder and a 3.2-liter V6, offer FSI (Fuel Straight Injection) engine technology.

The 2006 Audi A4 adds the 3.2 quattro 6-speed manual sedan and 3.2 CVT multitronic FrontTrak versions for 2006. The S-line replaces the sport package and the S-line Sedan includes 18-inch 5-spoke quattro GmbH wheels, sport suspension, brushed aluminum interior trim, restyled front and rear bumpers, S-line logo in grille, side sill extensions, rear spoiler, and 3-spoke perforated leather-covered steering wheels with triple stitching. The S-line Cabriolet includes brushed aluminum trim, 18-inch quattro GmbH/BBS 14-spoke wheels, sport suspension, and S-line exterior badging.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

For the cabs I don't think the significant changes occurred until late in 2006 or until the 2007 model. When I bought my 2005 in September of that year they had just gotten a 2006 cab on the lot and the only visible difference was the addition of cup holders in the center counsel next to the hand brake to replace the one that popped out above the radio of the 2005 and earlier models. There was a second credit card holder on the dash where my 2005 cab has the pop out cup holder. Although this design functions better, I don't think it looks as good as the earlier version of the counsel. The dealer told me another difference was the the trip computer had to be ordered as an option on most 2006 models. Also in 2006 they started charging for the free oil changes and service for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles. I don't believe ti was till 2007 that they changed the grill and tail lights on the cab.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your quick responses. I actually prefer the earlier grille, so it's not so much the cosmetic changes as any mechanical or other under-metal changes that would really concern me. I'd like to think that mechanically and structurally the 05 and 06 are the same (ie no changes to the bracing, stiffness or suspension, leaving aside the new engines).

I 've also read that some of the newer cabriolets have an "acoustic" convertible top that better insulates against sound. Do you know if this is/was an option or was an improvement in standard specs?

On a slightly different note, have you owned your cars through a winter? I live in NY and was wondering how the fabric top would cope with being left outside in the snow.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

The top will be fine all year in New England weather. This is my 2nd cabrio and never had an issue in weather.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife has a 2006 1.8T. It's 170 HP. Although adequate, it's not super fast at all. In 2007, they bumped the 4 cyl to 200 HP. Much more livable.

As far as pull-out cupholders over the radio, avoid it like the plague. I've had 2 cars like that. My current Mercedes SLK has it. Bad design. When the drink spills, it goes in the radio. Then you have a $2k problem on your hands (at least).
Old 07-04-2009, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

The later car also had the option of a better nav. The pre 2005.5 had a really crappy one without a NAV screen. The later one has a crappy one with a NAV screen.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all your responses. I've put over 500 miles on the car since buying it and just love it. Moving away slightly from my initial question, I did come across another thread where the poster was complaining about the side windows rattling when the top is down. That was something that I noticed on my car as well, and when the top was up, I noticed louder than expected road noise coming from the door opening. I took the car back to the dealer and they adjusted the door so that it fit more flush to the bodywork - this eliminated the road noise and also minimised the window rattling (they insisted that a little rattling is normal). My only complaints so far: acceleration seems a little sluggish from a start (characteristic of CVT?), center armrest obstructs the handbrake, and mediocre fuel consumption (averaging mpg's in the low 20's).
Old 07-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default a4 cab idiosyncracies

yes,there is a little rattling in the windows...not much but a little. True of every make and model of convertible. And yes, there is a short lag between when you take your foot off the break and the cvt engages. Normal
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Glad to know there's nothing abnormal going on.

I've looked around in the forums and not found the thread, so I'm going to ask you guys here. Why does Audi continue to build front wheel drive cars? When I was test driving the 1.8T cab the dealer said that front wheel drive is superior in the wet and snow and that many of his customers traded their bmws for front drive audis. So perhaps there's an element of sales-speak, but given that MB and BMW are RWD, what is Audi's reason for sticking with front wheel drive?

Quick Reply: Differences between 05 and 06 Cabriolet?