A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Electric seat memory function

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric seat memory function

Does anyone have the memory function for their driver seat in the UK? I was wondering what the buttons that I had seen in the front of the door pocket on photographs of LHD cars was. Having just received my handbooks (9 days after the car!) I have discovered that these are the controls for the memory function for the seat.

As the mechanic working on my car yesterday had moved the seat around, I suddenly realised just how useful the memory function was. It took a lot of fiddling about to find the right seat position again.

After paying a ridiculous amount of money to have electric sports seats in leather that are also heated I would have thought that the memory function should be a standard fit yet I cannot see it in the Audi brochure or price/spec list.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yet Another Thing Not Available in the UK!

Annoying but true. I think it stems from the fact that early orders HAD to have electric seats and they wanted to make it as cheap as possible and they never got round to the memory function as an option - I agree stupid.

On this point tho why oh why oh why do garages have to f@ck with the seat setting? And it is not just fore and aft but everything. I think they do it on purpose, they only drive the car about 10m.
At least it is easier to get things back with electric seats
Old 03-12-2003, 08:22 AM

Default Follow home lights

Just checked my car and I don't have this feature either! Richy, how did you get it?

I must say that I am NOT impressed with Audi's presentation of standard features or options for this car as it would appear that there are many items that are dependant upon the country the car is being sold in.

For example the quick reference guide shows a button to activate the Park Distance Control sensors in the space where the credit card slide out drawer is in the dash on UK cars. When you look in the main owners manual it tells you that this button activates the PDC sensors for the front of the car. I have the rear sensors fitted as it is difficult to judge the rear of the car when parking but I reckon the front requires them just as much as you can't see the end of the bonnet. My 18" wheels look nice but I'm having to park a good few inches away from the kerb to protect them and front PDC snsors would have been a godsend to help with this.

Come on Audi UK - wake up and start offering sensible options like BMW do.

I love the car for it's styling and overall quality but from a pure driving enjoyment viewpoint I'm starting to regret choosing the A4 cab over the Z4. I hope that the engine is going to loosen up considerably but the handling is definately in the boulevard cruising category.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Follow home lights

When I ordered the auto dim mirror, it went on the order as a £145 option. But when the order was confirmed, it was confirmed with auto lights included as that became the standard. They didn't spike me for the extra £15 as the option including auto lights is now £160. Just lucky I guess.

As for the electric seat memory, that is now included in a 'comfort' option pack. When you add the items of that pack together, the only outstanding item is the seat memory function - and this equates to over £200.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Follow home lights

I agree totally with Ragdude re specifications which should be standard fit. If BMW can do electric seats plus memory, PDC, rain sensor, dipping mirror etc. then so should Audi!!
Although my Cab looks fantastic the overall quality and driving experience ( i.e. poor performance/handling) fail to compensate. Roll on better weather as hood down driving masks the poor handling etc. Sorry to be so negative but just my £25k opinion.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default North American loses different options...

Some options that NA Cabs don't have (listed in order of preference):

- Stearing wheel Tiptronic buttons
- Ext Colors: Cosmic Yellow, Atlas Grey
- Several wheel styles and sizes
- Sunglass storage unit
- Accoustic Parking
- Nav Plus or TV (although having this would remove the in-dash 6 CD changer)
- Manual transmission
- Cool box in glove compartment
- Seat colors: Green
Old 03-13-2003, 12:11 AM

Default Follow home lights are fitted

After looking at my car again I discovered that I do have the follow home lights feature. I tried it last night and it is very good as both the front and rear foglights come on giving you very good visibility for around 30 seconds after locking the car.

I must read through the manual to see if there are any other pleasant surprises in store. Still peeved about the lack of seat memory function though.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:51 AM

Default Re: North American loses different options... (fairly long)

Anim8or,

I don't know why the US misses out on even more options than the UK. After all aren't you guys and gals over there the world's most fickle consumers who are used to getting exactly what you want? Seems to me that Audi is getting it wrong on both sides of the pond.

As to your missing items: -

Steering wheel multitronic controls - I have them but would willingly give them up for stereo controls on the wheel instead (couldn't force myself to order 4 spoke wheel which has them though as I think it looks awful - sorry if anyone likes this)

Colours - believe me they have done you a favour by leaving Cosmic yellow off the list. Dolphin grey is quite attractive though.

Wheels - I agree that a wide choice is necessary. I have the 18" RS style wheels which IMHO look great.

Sunglasses storage - This is over-rated IMO as it is very small. I don't think you are really missing out but I struggle to accept that it has been left off for safety reasons. It is only a piece of hinged plastic after all!

Acoustic parking - A must have IMO due to the size of the car and restricted view of the front and rear(can't believe you don't get this option there as I thought you guys invented it for some of your massive cars and trucks).

Nav system - Again a big mistake by Audi, I believe, in not offering in the US judging by its apparent popularity there. I wouldn't buy it in the UK though as it is ridiculously over priced here and worth next to nothing come re-sale. Only really worth investing in if you are constantly travelling to new/unkown destinations.

Manual transmission - again IMO opinion not worth having as these cars are hardly racing machines. I've only driven a manual 2.4 demo car and (sorry if you own one) thought it was nasty - bad individual gear ratio match for the engine.

Glove box cool box - This was so inexpensive (around $90) that I had to have it. It isn't very big so maybe Audi reckon it wouldn't hold enough goodies for the average American to be satisfied with it (lol).

Seat colours - Again baffling that they do not offer a wider choice. If you look at the Audi.de (Germany)site there are far more options available there than any other market appears to get. If they offer it in Germany, why not elsewhere?

These are only my opinions and no doubt others have equally strong views.

Happy cruising to our friends in the US from those in the UK.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: North American loses different options... (fairly long)

I can't understand why some options are not available in North America either. Some I can live without but the parking sensors would be very nice especially in the rear because the visibility is so poor. I would like the steering wheel shifters also but I do have the stereo controls on the wheel now and love those. The glove box cool box would be nice but I suppose the feds were worried about us putting beer in there or something.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: North American... Atlas Grey

Great comments.

The grey I referred to was not Dolphin Grey, but Atlas grey. The Cab does have the Dolphin Grey here in the US; a fine color. But, I would have LOVED to have the Atlas Grey available for the Cab. So far only the A4 Avant has that color available here.

The Atlas is a superb color: not as dark as the Dolphin, but nicer than the all-too-common silver.

-meni

Quick Reply: Electric seat memory function