A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Going to order 04 3.0 Cab and am not sure what color .....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to order 04 3.0 Cab and am not sure what color .....

Amulet Red with Beige Top or Silver with Black top. I havent seen a pic of an Amulet Red with Beige top, does anyone know of one ?

Any advice on options is welcome too, such as is it worth getting the upgraded leather ?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2003, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Going to order 04 3.0 Cab and am not sure what color .....

As well as personal opinions on colour, the other thing to consider is what effect you want it to have.

Here in the UK, silver with dark hood is a favourite colour for convertibles and you often see silver/black or silver/blue Mercs, BMWs, even Renault Meganes cabriolets.

Also, silver tends to round off the corners and make the car less distinctive compared to, say, a Mercedes cabriolet which also has a squarish rump.

So the silver/black will look good (mine is silver/blue and I do like it) but won't scream 'I've got an A4 Cabriolet' to everyone who sees it.

Finally, it's been commented before that silver makes the wheels look relatively smaller compared to a darker colour.

So - do I regret my colour ? Absolutely not, but it depends what you want from it. Silver/blue blends in more (there are a LOT of premium convertibles here in the UK) but is subtly elegant to those in the know. Amulet red will really scream the car's identity, as indeed does black (I find) but looks too flash for me... I park in the street and the black demo Cab I had on loan really stood out in my neighbourhood as a 'flash car', in the way that Golf GTIs did back in the 80s - it was a bit too much for me and I quite like the more subdued effect of the silver - seems more Audi somehow.

So - have a think about the visual aspects because some colours do have different effects on how you see the car

- silver looks fantastic but will make the car shape and corners a bit less distinctive compared to dark colours (e.g. you lose the visual effect of the metal line around the base of the hood)
- silver may make the wheels look slightly smaller
- silver/black or silver/blue is (in the UK) a little more discreet and works well if you want your car to be admired by friends and family, but not keyed or stolen by jealous passersby.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks....

Thanks for the post, we are going to look at an Amulet Red with Beige top cab tomorrow afternoon. I like the combo but agree with your points of flashyness.

jmf
Old 08-20-2003, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my thoughts.

I like the red but I'm not sure I would go for a biege top. I think the biege may draw too much attention to the top itself and not enough attention to the whole package. Black tops are nice and traditional. Also, I'm always a little weary of red because usually reds lose their luster after several years because they tend to oxidize faster than other colors (form a white haze). An exception seems to be reds with metallic paint in them.

My personal favorite colors for the A4 cabriolet (I don't own one) is silver exterior, black top, and red leather. I'm not sure if red leather is still offered. Black interior is nice but very hot in the sun, and gray interior just doesn't offer enough contrast with the silver exterior.