A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Hood jamming

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood jamming

I posted this on Tyresmoke a while ago, but thought it might be interesting for people on here that don't necessarily use Tyresmoke...

Also would add that this was a fortnight ago, and all has worked perfectly again since, which backs up my theory...

Anyway, here you go:

Well, the hood jammed for the second time at the beginning of the week, just as we were leaving to go on holiday!

In a carbon copy of the last incident, basically the front of the hood detached from the top of the windscreen as it should, the back of the hood started to tilt clear of the soft top box, but the soft top box lid started to open before the back edge of the hood was clear and jammed inself against the bottom edge of the hood. The whole hood mechanism then stops completely, and operating the switch to open or close has no effect.

Called Audi Roadside Assist who sent out an RAC man. He was less clued up about it than the last fellow, but non the less he managed to get the hood up and advised me to take the car to the dealer. I did this, and of course it worked perfectly when they tried it and has continued to do so since.

However, I think I worked out why, or at least what caused it, so I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Both times the hood jammed were right outside my house. Now I live on a very steep hill, with my drive leading off at 90 degrees to the road. The drive is fairly level, and I've dropped the hood on the drive loads of times with no problem, but on both occasions that it jammed I'd unusually parked outside on the road facing up the hill as there was another car blocking the drive.

It seems to me that operating the hood when the car is facing up a steep incline either confuses the mechanism, or simply stops it operating correctly causing it to jam.

I was trying to work out how many times I've operated the hood since I've had the car, and it has been down over a hundred times, but only jammed twice, both in identical circumstances, ie outside the house on the road facing up hill.

I'm convinced thats what it is, so just a note of caution, don't try and lower the hood if you are on a really steep hill!

I'm not saying this is an excuse for it jamming, it shouldn't under any circumstances, but it clearly does. You have been warned!
Old 05-22-2003, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am the poster boy of hood jammings

Happened to me 7 times, took it into the dealer 6 times, they never could fix it. THats why I am driving in a brand new cab as a result of the failures, good luck. I hope it doesnt happen again.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:15 AM

Default Re: I am the poster boy of hood jammings

Well worth knowing,
Thanks Ari
Mark-yorkshire
Old 05-22-2003, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The exact thing happened to me yesterday...

... and it cause big dents on the back panel that lifts up. Also, the car was not on a hill. It's in the shop for the second day so far. The mechanics looked baffled.

I love the cab, but it's caused me plenty of headaches and cancelled weekends.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The master mechanic didnt know what was wrong with my car....after 6 tries