A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Problems with CVT

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with CVT

Hi everyone,
Has anyone experienced problems with there CVT transmission on their Cab. I am having problems with mine. During different times of the day at ramdom the gear seems to drop out and the engine will not go above 1100 RPM and the car will not go. This problem happens in either Reverse or Drive and sometimes in tip mode. Anyone else experience this type of problem? I would love to hear what your dealer did to resolve the problem. I had the dealer take a look at it once and the car checked out. No codes and road test was fine. TIA.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Problems with CVT

Mine started lurching when pulling away quickly, something it never used to do.

I don't have the problem any more because I sold it.

Got fed up with its endless problems :-(

HCUK
Old 10-13-2003, 05:24 AM

I had no problems yet at 11,000 miles--sounds like you're having an old fashioned transmission "slipping" when the bands would wear out. I wonder if one or more of the chains in the tranny are stripped. Can you recreate the problem or is it just one of those things that pop up without warning?
Old 10-13-2003, 05:48 AM

Car has 12,500 miles on it. It maybe a slipage of the chain but that would make this problem constant. The problem happens at random. Could it be a Transmission ECU problem? Would that spit out a DTC.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:48 PM

I don't think much of the computer diagnostics they have on any car these days. The computer can pick up anything it's programeed to pick up--this sounds like maybe it wouldn't get error codes from this tranny. Then again, I'm unsure what th computers really do for the car. It is so hard to recreate aproblem--I would report the problem to the dealer again, ask to speak to the zone officer ( if in US) and try to see if there is anything that leads up to the problem. Such as engine temp, outside temp, terrane when driving ( hills, grades etc), any noise that may accompany the slipping, something that will help you show the dealer that ther eis clearly something wrong. It sucks when you take it there and everything runs fine --stupid cars--this happened to me with my 2002 Allroad before finally having a good mechanic feel the problem.

Good luck and keep us posted, I'd like to hear what they do for you-
Old 10-14-2003, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm getting a new transmission as we speak. My car has 6K miles. Didn't have the problem you've described. Mine lurched when accelerating from a stop (see post further down on this page).
BH Audi has had it for two weeks so far, fixing a total of five things.

Good luck & best regards,
Jill
Old 10-18-2003, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default CVT Lurching??? Question for xaviexavie

My cab, since the beginning (about 15k miles ago) has had a strange lurch when you accelerate from a stop. If you're really light on the gas, you can prevent it. But, if you take off like most of use, it almost feels like the brakes are holding the car back (and then releases it suddenly), or there's a delayed response at the trottle. Either way -- it's a lurch for sure.

Xaviexavie - what did your dealer say the problem was? I need to "convince" my dealer that this problem has shown up in other A4 Cabs. Thanks for any and all info that you can share.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: CVT Lurching??? Question for xaviexavie

Dear olneymd,

I'm pretty easy on the gas pedal, and I drive a lot. The first time it happened was in stop & go traffic on the freeway. It was such a jolt I actually thought the guy in back of me tapped my bumper! Then I accelerated again & no one was behind me, so I knew it was something internal w/ the car.
As far as the dealer experience goes, I made sure I got someone to go on a "ride along" w/ me first. I wanted to be SURE they'd experience exactly what I was experiencing. At first, they replaced a transmission mount, believing this may fix both the lurching & the "clunking" noise it made while turning on a gradient. It fixed neither. Then they tried replacing some computerized part which also failed to help. Then my Service Consultant informed me they were installing a new tranny, but he did not elaborate as to what exactly was defective about the old one.
What may help you is to print out relevant posts on this subject & fax it to your dealer (I did that when they said a driver's side storage bin couldn't be installed. They saw that Keyes Audi could do it, now they are ordering & will install the part).

Your dealer could also contact Bev Hills. I'm sure my Service Consultant, Ken Maryan, could put you or your mechanic in touch with who's working on my car (I don't have it back yet). Ken's direct # is 310-481-8345. Ask for the name of the main mechanic who's working on Jill Thorndike's A4 Cab.
Be persistent: this is NOT normal car behavior & they need to fix it!
Best of luck,
Jill
Old 10-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: CVT Lurching??? Question for xaviexavie

Thank you very much for sharing your contact info and description of the problem. I'm not sure if my a4 is lurching as severly as yours did -- but it just doesn't seem right. No other car has ever had such a strange delay and jolt from a stop. I'll keep you posted on what happens.