A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Won't start if it sets for two days

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start if it sets for two days

Guys at the shop are saying i have a slow battery leak somewhere,but after keeping the car for 3 days with a meter hooked up no leak was found.I let the car set for 2 days after getting the car back and it wont start,dead battery? but it starts quickly with a jump start.Battery is testing OK.Anyone ever had this problem ?
Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Check the battery voltage before starting next time

Originally Posted by Refs
Guys at the shop are saying i have a slow battery leak somewhere,but after keeping the car for 3 days with a meter hooked up no leak was found.I let the car set for 2 days after getting the car back and it wont start,dead battery? but it starts quickly with a jump start.Battery is testing OK.Anyone ever had this problem ?
When I gave my sister my 04 Cabriolet V6, she complained that the car didn't start after a few days sitting. I blamed her for using the top without running the engine because the car started up with a jump right away. But really, it was the battery not holding charges.

Got one from Walmart and she hasn't called me about the starting problems since.

<a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/replace-battery-a4-b6-cabriolet.html">Replacing battery on A4 cabriolet</a>

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-18-2013, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Refs-
If the car has a semi-conventional charging system, that could be a bad diode in the alternator. It would not show up on some drain tests, depending on what is hooked up and where, because the alternator will suck the battery out via the charging lead to the positive terminal, which is often separate from all the other fused circuits and skipped unless you test that one specifically.
With a bad diode you will still charge "almost" normally, but the bad diode acts as a drain when the engine is off. Worth checking, and easy to check with a fast ohmmeter test on the charging lead.