A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

2021 A6 Allroad Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kcossabo
Question on 2022:

Is the Stealth Hitch still an option? AKA did the 2022 change anything that would prevent a 2021 solution from working?

I have a 2019 A7 and going to trade for a A6 wagon, but only to get the trailer hitch. As much of the discussion on the thread on why Audi does not offer it on the A6, there is NO OPTION on the A7.

Thank you in advance.
I'm a newbie here but thought I'd provide an answer on the Stealth Hitch fit for a 2022 A6 Allroad. Yes, it does fit, although Stealth has not confirmed and therefore does not (yet) list fit for the 2022 on their website. Richard at Stealth was helpful and indicated he was 90% confident of fit on the 2022. I was not confident in 2 installers nearby in CO who said "no problem", flat fee of $500 to install, but warned me that if it doesn't fit they will charge me the $500 anyway and it's my problem. So I decided to use Stealth's excellent instructions and go at it myself. I had a few challenges, largely because of my inexperience. (1) how hard to pry with pry tools to release clips on the fascia, (2) how to disconnect the left plug from the fascia (did not figure it out so I just swung out the left-connected fascia and rested in on 2 boxes while I worked on the new bits, (3) the fascia support bracket had a cable run through it so I also swung it out of the way while working, (4) had to remove the space saver spare and tools to get to the inside reinforcement beam bolt, (5) cut the heat shield before installing the Stealth hitch frame rather than after as shown in the instructions, (6) cut the heat shield with a Dremel and 456 cutter (slower than a grinder but works), (7) reinserting the fascia was tedious as some of the clips behind the wheel wells need to be in front of the attachment which is hard to see, (8) used black metal-reinforced plastic door edge guard along the heat shield and fascia cut edge to give it a more finished look. No interference issues with the hatch foot sensor at all...works perfectly. Hopefully I can upload a couple of photos of the finished product...sorry I did not take pics during the process...too busy trying to do a decent job. The finished product works as intended, fits. The heat shield and fascia cuts would likely have been a bit straighter and cleaner with an experienced hand, but the edge guard makes up for my lack of experience. Although it took me an entire afternoon rather than the 2 hours Stealth suggests, I'm confident anyone with a little skill can do this and probably within the 2 hours if they have done it before. Would I do again rather than take it to an installer...absolutely. Hope this helps for those of you waiting on a Stealth hitch for your 2022 A6 Allroad.

View from directly underneath. The Stealth latch block touches the fascia cutout. Note the edge guard on the heat shield cut. Cutout allows access to the spring-loaded handle and lock for the receiver latch pin.

View from behind. Latch block is flush with fascia.

With the receiver inserted.

With a 1-Up EquipD bike rack...highly recommended!

Bikes loaded and ready to go!
The following 4 users liked this post by DrMichaelR:
AudiEye (06-04-2022), Jasafour (06-03-2022), Kcossabo (06-04-2022), Turboale (06-08-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

VERY nice! Thank You for the update
Old 06-08-2022, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm too that 2021 stealth hitch fits into my 2022 model. I got mine installed recently. You can find installer in your area by putting your zipcode in stealth hitch website.
Does anyone know official towing capacity of A6 all road in US? I am planning to tow a smaller trailer for camping.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by VS1971
I can confirm too that 2021 stealth hitch fits into my 2022 model. I got mine installed recently. You can find installer in your area by putting your zipcode in stealth hitch website.
Does anyone know official towing capacity of A6 all road in US? I am planning to tow a smaller trailer for camping.
In Europe, might be different for US but it may help, the limit for an unbraked trailer is 750kg and for a braked unit with a 12% gradient the limit is 2000kg
Old 06-12-2022, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

That is 4,409.245 freedoms in case anyone doesn't want to do the maths...
Old 06-23-2022, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone with the stealth hitch able to pop the trunk cover off on the passenger side and snap me a quick picture of the wiring. I’ve followed the directions with my install but the first trailer I’ve hooked up is also acting up. Wanted to make sure it’s the trailer and not the wiring in the car

cheers
Old 06-24-2022, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

I know the Qs require an update from the dealer when adding a hitch. Not sure how the As handle the addition of new new wiring/close following vehicle. What is the trailer doing/not doing?
Old 05-11-2024, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Since this is still the same hitch for the current A6 Allroad (2024 and possibly 2025+), I figured I would take a chance of pissing people off about this rather than creating a new thread with the same exact subject. I need a hitch that will allow towing with a tow bar via a receiver. I tow my Maxda MX-5 behind my Subaru Outback and I need my new car to do the same. Right now I have to assume that I cannot buy the Allroad based upon information gathered here. Unfortunately, it looks like no one else makes a hitch and I can't even find someone who might make a custom hitch. I will communicate with Stealth Hitches to verify that the receiver cannot be used with a tow bar. I do not understand why they would not have made the receiver strong enough to tow with. There are no tow bars that work with my MX-5 that can use a ball rather than a receiver. That is, only one base plate is available for my car and that only works with a "receiver" type of tow bar.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered the OEM hitch through Europrice. It's the electric swiveling kind, so it completely hides under the bumper when not in use. There's also a bike rack option that sttaches to the OEM hitch as well.

Installation was fairly straightforward, though I would highly recommend having a shop handle the task since it involves a lot of dismantling. But it didn't take the too long to route the wiring, install the hardware and mount a switch near the hatch to deploy/release the hitch. I also love how the trailer connector is integrated into the hitch itself.

Towing 4000 lbs is effortless, and mileage is in the high teens at 70 mph. Not great, but better than my old 4.2 which returned 13-14 mpg.

The biggest issue is with the coding. 2020-23 models are relatively easy to reprogram, which Europrice will handle remotely. But Audi revised their software security for MY24. While it's possible to program the car so it "knows" the hitch is present and activates the wiring, the car also thinks that all of the trailer lights are not functioning and displays multiple errors on the dash. While blind-spot monitoring somehow still functions, adaptive cruise control is knocked offline. And when you're towing long distances, cruise control is very much essential. According to Europrice, the solution is found in the Convenience module--which, as of this writing, still cannot be accessed through the usual reprogramming.

So--it's a waiting game for me. Love the hitch, but software is the challenge for now. But if you own an allroad from 20-23, it's not an issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by derekpowell:
Alex@Europrice.us (05-14-2024), Britchz (05-20-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

In many ways, the OEM Euro hitch is similar to the Stealth hitch. Unfortunately, in either case I need the 2 inch receiver to tow from, and while Stealth Hitch offers this 2 inch receiver, they say I cannot use it with any tow bar. So, Unfortunately I will not be purchasing my third Audi and my second Allroad. Looks like I will be stuck with a Subaru Outback. Stealth Hitch has confirmed that flat towing my 2,500 lb MX-5 using any type of tow bar is not permitted using any of their hitches, including tow bars that go on the ball. My Subaru Outback handles this with no problem and under most states, including Florida I am not required to have brakes on the vehicle I'm towing because it is under 3,000 lbs. I need a standard, USA type, 2 inch receiver hitch.

Quick Reply: 2021 A6 Allroad Trailer Hitch