A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

2022 A6 Allroad Firmament Blue - Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

And thank you to Alex@Europrice.us who shipped the CETE so quickly and answered all my questions! You are the best.!
The following 2 users liked this post by Sam Adams:
Alex@Europrice.us (04-29-2022), allroadadam (04-29-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

A bunch of updates coming up. Stay tuned.
I got a DM about Android Carplay. I am IOS user but I did get an Android box so I could get Youtube, and other apps. I ended up getting the AI box (on amazon and Aliexpress) I ordered mine from Ali since I wanted to get the latest version with the Qualcomm 665 CPU which is just super snappy. This was mostly so could stream Youtube or other media apps not available on Carplay. Disclaimer. I only use it to listen, or watch a video while waiting for school pick up, not while driving. Works OK, super quirky but once you get it working it's fine and you can toggle back to Carplay as needed.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sam Adams:
DadAudi (05-01-2022), jroczniak (05-02-2022), Turboale (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

Would love to hear more about the quirkiness... Does YouTube TV work? Are you using it through the car's wifi? I'm definitely intrigued!

On the CETE,
Have they updated it for the Allroad specifically yet? When I put mine in I had to use A6 so it kinda gets confused on the taller suspension settings.

Last edited by Turboale; 05-02-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Turboale
Would love to hear more about the quirkiness... Does YouTube TV work? Are you using it through the car's wifi? I'm definitely intrigued!
Yes, all the apps work including Youtube TV. Netflix was not working so I just sideloaded it. DM me if you want a link as it's likely against the rules to post.
The device itself is fine, but sometimes it does not turn on, or it turns on and then it reboots itself randomly. This is usually after a cold start. From starting the car to watching video takes about a minute so not nearly as quick as just using regular Carplay. Also when you start the car it defaults to the Android interface and then you have to exit Android Carplay as I find the stock Apple Car Play a better interface. You really only want this if you have an Android device and want to be untethered (there are other dedicated solutions for this) or if you want to watch video. If you are an IOS user, the stock wireless carplay is far more stable and the UI is better laid out. So yeah if it's always plugged in it gets a bit annoying. I decided today to unplug it and I will only use when waiting for my kids at the school parking lot . It will be nice for long car rides for the passengers to enjoy as well.

On the CETE,
Have they updated it for the Allroad specifically yet? When I put mine in I had to use A6 so it kinda gets confused on the taller suspension settings.
No they have not. You have to use the A6 4K platform but I have not tried changing the taller ride modes, I only updated Dynamic and Individual
Old 05-03-2022, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

Interesting...
The reliability thing sounds not up to par and basically makes it a non-starter. I'm on android and do a fair amount of in and out and worry about the longevity of the USB C connector... Does the box have an SD slot? I did just realize that the previous owner of my SQ7 paid for the online features (but never turned on the sat maps!?) so I'm looking forward to seeing how good or bad the internal voice search is. I'm not holding my breath. The nav experience is so much better when using the factory nav, really wish they could play nice with the phone integration.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Interesting...
The reliability thing sounds not up to par and basically makes it a non-starter. I'm on android and do a fair amount of in and out and worry about the longevity of the USB C connector... Does the box have an SD slot? I did just realize that the previous owner of my SQ7 paid for the online features (but never turned on the sat maps!?) so I'm looking forward to seeing how good or bad the internal voice search is. I'm not holding my breath. The nav experience is so much better when using the factory nav, really wish they could play nice with the phone integration.
I have a device coming that will allow me to use Android Auto wirelessly. It was a kickstarter campaign. I'm curious to see how it works. I'll report back when I get it and try it out.

https://carsifi.com
The following 2 users liked this post by TropicGreenA4:
DadAudi (05-04-2022), Turboale (05-04-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dashcam time!

I recently installed the Fitcam MX cam. (not sure If I am allowed to link it ) but you can find it on amazon. I was intrigued by this device due to its concealed nature. It's not something you have to suction cup to your windshield, but it replaces the mirror cover. So, it's concealed and it does not add any bulk. +1

Once you get everything set up and working it's a great solution, but it has compromises

Fitting this thing was a bitchsnatch (are we allowed to swear here?) Getting the covers off over was relatively easy with the prying tool provided. But holy cow was the rest a bit complicated. To get to the rear-view mirror connector I ended up having to take the rear view mirror off. Once I get it off it was not so bad, tip for anyone doing this the rear-view mirror twists off (not snaps on) twists off to the left and snaps back in place to the right. Anyhow once you do all the connections and they are very intuitive as you are tapping into the mirror power so you cannot mess it up as the connectors can only go one way.

Here are a few pics of the process

Not going to sugar coat it here. Getting the cam to line up was a chore.
It took about 3 beers patience of a monastery saint to get the damn thing to get in there and the cables in just the right pace to get everything to snap back in place.
Again, as I have stated in this thread, I am sales guy not a mechanic and not very and handy so YMMV. If you are somewhat handy your'e already above my pay grade cuz I'm a numbnutz and some folks may laugh at my misadventures.

Verdict. It's nice to have a dash cam that looks OEM. However, the software it's absolute garbage and sometimes it connects and sometimes it doesn't. I am thinking that wherever the moon is at that may have an effect on it. But you can always just pull the SD card out if needed. The quality of the video is subpar to other cams I have seen on the web. In other words, it's not particularly great but it's better than to not having one.
I quickly uploaded a video from last weekend, 4K and it's rather pixelated. However, I will keep this thing as long as I can as I will never ever, go through the hell of having to install this damn thing again.

Here's a quick video of the cam

Old 05-10-2022, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Definitely far from the worst that I’ve ever seem dashcam wise, plus I really like that stealth mode they’ve got going on. Will you allow the option of not recording the voice like my BlackVue ones ?
Old 05-10-2022, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes you can turn off sound recording. However it does not have GPS capabilities so no speed recording.
The following users liked this post:
Turboale (05-22-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Yes the speed reading is what helped me when I was struck during an accident. It registered that I was going the speed limit as opposed to the other party.

Quick Reply: 2022 A6 Allroad Firmament Blue - Build thread