A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

2022 A6 Allroad Firmament Blue - Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Wireless Charging Pad

As I stated in the initial post, much to my disappointment, my MY2022 AR, did not come equipped with an armrest wireless charging pad due to the chip shortage. Maybe some lucky folks did get them, but I was not one of them. I was able to source an OEM style wireless charging pad from China that you connect using the power behind the rear USB ports. The install is straight forward but it does require you to disassemble the rear portion of the center console. A trim removal kit is required in order not to damage the trim pieces. Since I don't have an OEM charger to compare it to, I think it looks just like the OEM charger. It fits perfectly below the armrest. Removing the rear console pieces is a bit of A PITA and requires patience. Once you connect the supplied harness just snap the panels back together and you have a clean look without using any of the USB ports in the center armrest like other solutions out there, basically OEM. All in, this cost me $80 and about 90 mins to install, I could do it faster now that I know what I'm doing. While I did receive a $250 credit from my dealer for this missing feature, I would have preferred to have this come from the factory and save the hassle. In any case I am very happy with it.
PS I forgot to take pictures of the rear console disassembled, I was too in a hurry to put it back together. DM me if you need help.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

You know the funny part is 90% of the time I forget I even have this. You know what they say, out of sight out of mind ha ha ha.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

LOL I get it. My phone is fully charged in the morning and keep it plugged in at work. I don't think I will use this much except for long trips. This was done mostly to satisfy my feelings of inadequacy vs other AR owners. I feel like I got shortchanged and wanted to make up for it. :-)
Old 05-17-2022, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Shoot that I fully understand, heck half of these features in this car I do not use.

Last edited by DadAudi; 05-29-2022 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I slapped my old ABT 20" wheels using the stock tires. 9" w 43mm offset + 20MM Spacers all around for a flush look.

A couple of shots from today's Wagon Wednesday

Old 05-29-2022, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Adams
[...] Color: Firmament Blue is a really, really dark blue. Looks black at night, but it's an amazing blue in the sunlight. None of the online pictures do it justice. Incredibly happy with the color. I got the full body paint but the texture of the cladding make paint match feel a bit off. No big deal. I expect to correct with Xpel. [...] Suspension: I was surprised how long it takes for the air ride system to adjust. I'm driving on Auto now, but I think I like dynamic better. CETE on order. [...]
Color looks fabulous! The only interesting color I've ever had on a car was blue, and I like how this is apparently darker. And even if the texture on the body cladding makes the color match looks a bit off, sure does seem better than emphasizing the wheel arches w/o the full paint.

Curious though about the lag time for the air suspension height adjustment? The videos I've seen take only a few seconds. I would mainly keep it in Dynamic, but then put into Offroad for pulling into backcountry trailhead parking lots. Plus switch into Allroad when roads start to get snow covered (as my understanding is that in addition to the add'l clearance, this redirects the power away more from the default FWD bias, although then again the wheel slippage sensor systems these days are also so sophisticated that it's probably nearly instantaneous anyway). And Comfort or Auto for carrying the family.

Have you looked into enabling the matrix lighting? I found lots of discussion when the federal regs changed earlier this year, then some videos from having it enabled, but nothing since then about whether dealers can officially offer the upgrade.

I'm probably waiting until next year (spring/summer/fall of 2023) given that my current vehicle will by then reach the mileage I typically want to keep it through, plus the automotive market should be back to normal by then (or at least a new normal), but this one sort of in my neighborhood has me curious:
https://www.audinyack.com/new/Audi/2...c9d696fe5b.htm
Old 05-29-2022, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi

I am loving my wagon. So smooth and luxurious. very understated, I've only seen another one on the road. best car I've ever owned. So comfy and quiet. Yes I am jealous of RS6 owners and I hope to upgrade at some point .. But not for the power, but the styling mostly. But pricing is just insane. I cannot see myself paying $140K + and then taxes on a car. I was "lucky" to pay $70k or something and then a $5K dealer markup. The car you listed is pretty much my same spec except for the brown interior. Go for it if you can.

As far as your question about the suspension is concerned, it takes about 45 seconds or so. It depends if you are going from the higher mode all the way down to dynamic. If I know I am going to go off offRoad or a steep driveaway I switch the drive mode ahead of time to be safe. Not very often. With CETE I have been driving at -29MM under dynamic and I have not scrapped once. I feel I could go lower but I rather push my luck.

quick edit I have not looked into enabling Matrix headlights. I am hoping OBD11 will give me that option at some point. No complaints about the headlights as they are but something I need to look into including the animation. I am pretty much done with exterior upgrades except maybe sizing up the wheels , but I don't want a lip spoiler or crazy body kits.

Last edited by Sam Adams; 05-29-2022 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

^ Cool, thanks. Sounds like the adjustment time is no big deal since the scenarios under which I would want to adjust the height are always anticipated.

I'm still confused about the matrix status. The videos I saw of some secondary highway driving are amazing. But I'm nervous about fiddling with the firmware on my own or via some after-market coder.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

ideally you you want your dealer to enable this so it's all under warranty, but I would not hold my breath. I think I need to look into soucing a VAG com or some other tool. The folks on the Q8 forum seem to be on more in tune with this. Which reminds me to all the folks on this forum to make sure and check out all the A6/S6/Q8 etc forums a lot of mods are applicable to us...
The following users liked this post:
DadAudi (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did buy VCDS (fka VAG-COM) for my current vehicle, since its enthusiast forums have all sorts of posts about the neato features that can be unlocked.
But then I got nervous about the occasional horror stories. Although those can be prevented via reverting to backups (if you remember to make a backup before each mod).
Odd that Audi hasn't been making a big deal about the reg change since it would appear to be ideally situated to unlock matrix lighting... although perhaps it's still working on some of the details, and the rollout plan?

Quick Reply: 2022 A6 Allroad Firmament Blue - Build thread