A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

Chronos Gray Metallic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chronos Gray Metallic?

Greetings avant fans! I've owned several Audis over the years -- my last and favorite an S6 Avant -- and I'm now coming back into the fold.

I have an A6 Allroad on order -- April build, May or June delivery. But, I am dismayed by the color options -- or lack thereof. (Hard to consider shades of gray "colors.") The only "color," by my definition is Firmament Blue metallic. A nice color, but very dark, and would rarely look clean in the Pacific NW. I also don't like the contrast with the goofy fender flares -- full paint would help, of course.

So, ruling out black and white, and Firmament Blue, I'm left with shades of gray or a special color. A special color is appealing, except for he price -- almost $4k seems awfully steep.

I ordered my car sight unseen (and I'm sure I'm not the only one given the limited inventory). I ordered chronos gray metallic, based on the assumption that this was the color Audi chose for their website -- the car looks good in their photos. Also, I liked the fact that it seemed to blend pretty well with the unpainted fender flare color. But, when I saw the color yesterday on an Audi Q3 (I believe), it looked flat -- no pop, and and not very metallic. That said, it was an overcast day.

Bottom line, I'm now having second thoughts about my color selection. Of the remaining shades of gray I would pick Florett silver or Dew silver. Silver always looks good -- but it is ubiquitous.

Colors are personal, so I'm not sure posting my dilemma is helpful, but sentiments about Chronos Gray -- those who've actually seen it on an Allroad, unlike me -- would be welcome. Photos of Chronos Gray in the wild would also be welcome.

Finally, can anyone confirm that this is the color shown on the car on the Audi website?https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/mo...ew/build.html#

cheers, Andy
Old 02-11-2022, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Considering a proper full paint job (jams, engine bay, etc) is generally in the $10k-$15k range for top tier work, $4k for an Exclusive color is a bargain

Chronos has very little metallic to it vs other colors
Old 02-11-2022, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you invest thousands in a monitor that can be professionally calibrated (not cheap) I still think your chances of a accurate rendering are less than 50/50.

Go to dealer, the swatches are better. They are better but not perfect either.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

IIRC, Audi hasn't offered swatches since 2020...even they aren't great

Best to find a dealer and a sunny day who has a Q3 in stock
Old 02-11-2022, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had color chips/swatches for the 22 A6 Allroad.

I totally agree that seeing it in the sunshine (preferably at your latitude) is the best.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 22a6armg
I had color chips/swatches for the 22 A6 Allroad.

I totally agree that seeing it in the sunshine (preferably at your latitude) is the best.
in US?

Perhaps they are orderable again, idk. When we last looked to order them for our store, all of that stuff was marked as n/a (key boxes, folders, color charts)
Old 02-11-2022, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, US spec.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nevermind . . .

I answered my own question. The sun was out today and I returned to look at the Q3 in Chronos Gray. See photos below. Bottom line, I was not wild about it. No pop, kind of dull looking, a bit of green and khaki color. Taupe -y?

I ended up changing my order to Florett Silver -- not exciting, but as silvers go, it's a nice one. Very clean and cool (as in not warm).

The following users liked this post:
1998993c2s (03-30-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with you about the Chronos gray, and the very limited colour choices for the A6 allroad. I also decided on the Chronos having looked at the Audi website/configurator, but like you I went to a dealer to have a look at the colour in real life, even though it was on another car. I was surprised at the colour difference between the website and real life. As a result I didn't order it.

Bearing in mind how much we pay for these cars, it seems strange there is not more colour choice. I previously had an A6 in Daytona gray. I know this is a very common colour, but it looks fantastic IMO, and why there's been no option to have this on an allroad beats me.

I ended up getting a prebuilt A6 allroad in Tornado gray, which I like a lot, although not as much as the daytona. The gray wheel arches blend in nicely with the tornado colour. For the silver you have ordered it will be a nice contrast.
1998993c2s (03-30-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve.w
Bearing in mind how much we pay for these cars, it seems strange there is not more colour choice.
precisely why I paid the extra for an AE color

Last edited by TropicGreenA4; 02-14-2022 at 04:45 AM.
1998993c2s (03-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Chronos Gray Metallic?