A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

Electrical malfunction messages

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Electrical malfunction messages

Brand new 2020 A6 Allroad with 30 miles on the clock started throwing electrical system messages on the ride home from the dealer. Unfortunately we were closer to home so I parked it overnight and hoped the issues would go away overnight. Nope, the warning turned into a malfunction and told me to stop the car. Not sure how I'll be getting this to the dealer; has anyone run into this before?

At the dealer, there was a Drive System warning on the dash, but the salesman said, "That's because you're running without the motor and don't have your seatbelt on and it will go away." I guess it didn't and progressed into something worse?

First warning immediately on start is about the auto start/stop system not working, followed by the electrical system malfunction message:

Electrical system: malfunction! Please contact Service.
Then the stop message:

Electrical system: malfunction! Safely stop vehicle

First Audi since my 2000 B5 S4. It ran great and gave me no issues, but I stayed away from Audi because of quality problems since then. I thought they had things figured out by now....but guess not!

The following 2 users liked this post by scurvy_II:
intothedragon (12-23-2020), Tinman007 (03-17-2021)
Old 10-25-2020, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Just give the dealer a call first thing tomorrow and they will get it sorted. Probably a software malfunction.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
Just give the dealer a call first thing tomorrow and they will get it sorted. Probably a software malfunction.
That would be great if it were that simple....but also gotta wait 2-3 hours for Audi Roadside assist, then an hour with a dealer, hope to get a loaner, etc etc. Bad experience for a brand-new vehicle. Searching around the forums, these electrical warning messages pop up in a not infrequent basis for new cars and that's....scary. Aside from a CD changer issue at 30k miles (lol dating myself), my B5 S4 was bulletproof.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scurvy_II
That would be great if it were that simple....but also gotta wait 2-3 hours for Audi Roadside assist, then an hour with a dealer, hope to get a loaner, etc etc. Bad experience for a brand-new vehicle. Searching around the forums, these electrical warning messages pop up in a not infrequent basis for new cars and that's....scary. Aside from a CD changer issue at 30k miles (lol dating myself), my B5 S4 was bulletproof.
Hmmm. Your dealer must be out of the norm for an Audi dealer. Mine would just deliver a loaner and make arrangements to have my car taken back to the service department to check it out. My vehicle would then be returned and they would get the loaner. Oh well, good luck. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So what was going on.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hmmm. Your dealer must be out of the norm for an Audi dealer. Mine would just deliver a loaner and make arrangements to have my car taken back to the service department to check it out. My vehicle would then be returned and they would get the loaner. Oh well, good luck. Please let us know how it goes.
SF Bay Area. 7 dealers and too much demand for service like that. Even when I lived in Dallas, Park Place Audi (I'm dating myself) wouldn't have done that. I think your dealer is probably exceptional rather than the standard.

So what was going on.
Good question. I still don't have it back yet. Audi Oakland said the 12V battery was bad and that the 48V battery "needs charging". It has been charging for 48+ hours now and they say it's still not ready and won't be ready until Friday afternoon. It sounds like BS to me. No battery takes 4 days to charge, especially if it's charged normally off of regenerative braking.
The following 2 users liked this post by scurvy_II:
Hanssimon (04-21-2023), listkkj (06-08-2022)
Old 10-29-2020, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Now the 48V battery is throwing malfunction codes. Oooboy this is going to be a hoot.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scurvy_II
Now the 48V battery is throwing malfunction codes. Oooboy this is going to be a hoot.
Not good. Hoping it was going to be simple but doesn’t sound like it. Keep us updated.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The current responses vary between "it's the generator" and "it's the control module for the 48V battery". Now they're saying 8-10 days for parts delivery. We'll be right up against the 30 day threshold for CA lemon law. Audi is going to end up owning this car at the end of November.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Welp, this will probably be the shortest Audi ownership period in history. They still have no clue and keep ordering and swapping parts. At this point, the next batch arrives after the 30 day limit so I'll lemon it if they don't buy it back beforehand. Time for a Panamera I guess.

Quick Reply: Electrical malfunction messages