A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

Traffic via MMI - use Sirius vs. Audi Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Traffic via MMI - use Sirius vs. Audi Connect?

I have a 2023 and was on a road trip last weekend when I noticed the traffic features of my nav no longer worked. That came with a message saying my trial expired and to log into the Audi website.

Upon review, the only way to get it back is via the Audi connect Prime feature.....for a whopping $360/year. They do have Audi connect Nav for $150....but not for 2023s.

My MBs used Sirius traffic, and it appears there's a way to use Sirius traffic vs. Audi Connect. I have an OBD11 but before i go down this path, has anyone else tried to use SXM traffic instead of Audi Connect?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...pires-2941112/

Obviously I could use Carplay, but I'm not a huge fan....

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2024, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by goodmaj
I have a 2023 and was on a road trip last weekend when I noticed the traffic features of my nav no longer worked. That came with a message saying my trial expired and to log into the Audi website.

Upon review, the only way to get it back is via the Audi connect Prime feature.....for a whopping $360/year. They do have Audi connect Nav for $150....but not for 2023s.

My MBs used Sirius traffic, and it appears there's a way to use Sirius traffic vs. Audi Connect. I have an OBD11 but before i go down this path, has anyone else tried to use SXM traffic instead of Audi Connect?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...pires-2941112/

Obviously I could use Carplay, but I'm not a huge fan....

Thanks!
google maps = free and better..
Old 07-11-2024, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I'll be keeping Audi Connect after the expiration

I almost always use Google Maps in CarPlay for navigation. I realized this summer, though, that for road trips, it is really handy (essential?) to have Audi Navigation. My iPhone 15 Pro had no signal for significant parts of our trip in Colorado, so even though I'd downloaded maps to my phone, I wasn't able to navigate my route if I shut my car off and restarted it, unless I used Audi Navigation, which never lost its signal. Really saved us a few times up in the mountains.
Old 07-11-2024, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeljk1963
I almost always use Google Maps in CarPlay for navigation. I realized this summer, though, that for road trips, it is really handy (essential?) to have Audi Navigation. My iPhone 15 Pro had no signal for significant parts of our trip in Colorado, so even though I'd downloaded maps to my phone, I wasn't able to navigate my route if I shut my car off and restarted it, unless I used Audi Navigation, which never lost its signal. Really saved us a few times up in the mountains.
If Audi Navigation use another mobile provider than your iPhone uses and have a proper connection in Colorado, it does not guarantee that you will have it elsewhere. You can download maps for offline use with Google Maps. It always works with Android. Maybe the system is not as stable with iPhones.
Old 07-11-2024, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve done a few long roadtrips (>1k miles) with mine and I have the full Audi connect package. It has been well received. The in car WiFi hotspot via Verizon was handy as my partner took some video calls for work.

The Audi nav performed really well and looked good with the satellite maps and the HUD. It constantly downloaded map updates as I progressed (I’d say every few hundred miles) and these downloads included POIs. I was never left without nav even in some extremely remote areas.

The traffic worked well too and would prompt me to adjust my route accordingly. I often have Waze or another app running via CarPlay in the background so it was easy to double check. Waze was good to have running since it would provide the police and road hazard warnings even if it wasn’t being used for navigation.
Old 07-13-2024, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the responses so far. My question though is if anyone has tried to use SXM traffic vs. Audi Connect for traffic integration in the MMI. Sounds like no one has tried and are instead using carplay/phones.....