A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

Wireless CarPlay issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wireless CarPlay issues

Hi all,

Happy owner of a 2021 allroad Prestige as of last weekend! I've been having consistent issues with wireless CarPlay. It will connect fine and then start dropping out (blank screen and no audio) somewhere between 10-30 minutes into the ride. I've tried it with two different iPhones with the same result. Wired CarPlay works just fine and is 100% stable. As an aside, it seems that the in-car wifi hotspot drops all clients occasionally.

Not sure if this is related to the MIB3 platform in the 2021, but appreciate any thoughts!

Best,
Greg
Old 11-10-2020, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2020 and have had no issues, though at first my system was reluctant to remember my iPhone (bluetooth yes but not apple car play). But things have settled down as of late and no further issues. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2020, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks...wonder if this has something to do with moving to MIB3 platform vs. MIB2 in the 2020s...
Old 11-12-2020, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

As a quick update if anyone else is looking, I did some research and turned off the auto-connecting VPN that's on my corporate phone. Seems to have made a significant improvement!

Best,
Greg
The following users liked this post:
himaven (02-09-2022)
Old 06-05-2021, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resolved?

Greg, I’m having the same issue. It’s maddening!
I’ve taken it to the dealership, and they can’t reproduce it.
I’ve worked w Apple tech support and have tried updating my iOS, disconnecting and reconnecting, renaming my device, erasing my network settings, erasing all settings, restoring from back up, and setting up as new. The problem seems worse than ever now!
Did you find a solution?
Old 06-06-2021, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi there,

Probably not the answer you’re looking to hear but when I got a new iPhone (12 Pro Max) it all the sudden worked flawlessly. I was really surprised, I had done all of the wipe/restore/etc and nothing seemed to work. I will very randomly have a situation where it won’t connect the first time, but it happens probably only once a month or so.

I was planning to replace the phone anyway - I’d have a really hard time swallowing the cost of a new phone when the old one ostensibly should work.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had the same blips in service on a 2021 with an iPhone X. Seems to come and go for no reason.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have a problem with my iPhone X. When it has problems with CarPlay those problems extend to normal BT pairing. So if I start having trouble with CarPlay (which reliable happens after 10-30 minutes) I can't immediately change to BT. But if I start out BT and stay BT I have no problems.

I have decided that this older iPhone X overheats with the combined overhead of maintaining the high bandwidth connection Wireless Apple CarPlay requires, along with the processing overhead, compounded by the Wireless Charging. I just changed to using regular BT which does almost all of what I need. My theory is that a new phone would fix the CarPlay problem.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe my issues (same as yours) are corrected. I'm in IT, so bear with me, this might be a little tedious and I don't know if any of these fixed it by itself or all of them played a part. Mine would play for about 20 minutes, the MMI Screen would go black, the phone would disconnect - and then reconnect some 90 seconds later. Would do it at random times.

I'm in a 2021 Allroad, not sure what version of the MMI I'm on, I can verify that at a later date.

Here we go.
1. Delete Wireless CarPlay for the Audi on your phone. Settings, General, CarPlay. Click the Audi_MMI_XXXX and delete it.
2. Disconnect, if connected, the Audi Wifi from your phone. (Settings, Wifi) - make sure you're not connected to it at this time.
3. Update the phone (in my case a iPhone X) to 14.7.
4. Go to your car, start up.
5. Make sure the Wifi network on your car is on, and you know the password. If not, reset it from the MMI.
6. Connect your phone to the Audi_MMI_XXXX Wifi network in your car.
7. Verify connectivity by going to Google or some other site in your browser. (iPhone is always set to use Wifi first)
8. Now setup CarPlay as in the instructions from Audi.

Enjoy.

After doing this process, my phone has not disconnected, not even once. There is the occasional blip (maybe a second or two) but believe that to be interference from something else. I don't get it all the time, just now and again.

Last edited by rmcarr; 07-17-2021 at 09:45 AM.
2DaLab (07-23-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rmcarr
There is the occasional blip (maybe a second or two) but believe that to be interference from something else. I don't get it all the time, just now and again.
This is something that pisses me off SO badly! I mean - I was used to 2017 A4 with absolutely flawless CarPlay integration. Then I upgraded to 2021 A6 allroad and I get these skips, blips, dropouts (sometimes the audio just drops out, I expect the phone to start ringing as this is usual behavior, then the music comes back). Also when I put the car in reverse, I get rather strong 'static' through the speakers. Service crew noted, stating there's no known technical article from Audi and no fix. Both wired and wireless CarPlay behave the same, iPhone SE, 12 Pro, 7, 8 across multiple iOS releases. So it's not iOS thing, not Apple hardware thing. I will keep pushing the dealer/Audi to fix this.
rmcarr (07-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay issues