Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

$1,350 for a perforated radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $1,350 for a perforated radiator?

ugh. So the car gave me a "turn off engine and check coolant level" message last night. I checked and sure enough there is no coolant in the tank. I drove it over to audi and they filled it up only to get the same message this morning when I left the house. I took it back again and the diagnostic is that the radiator (or a component of the cooling system) was perforated by road debris or who knows and to replace the parts and flush the system, etc. is a cool $1,350. I about fell off my chair.

Any notion as to whether this cost is fair? I was honestly thinking to ask them to not do anything and let me take it to a non-dealer shop but the last thing I want is for this to not be done right and have to be paying even more later on.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the A6s radiator all aluminum, or does it have plastic tanks? I paid $1200 for an all aluminum radiator for my E39, so if thats what it is, the price isn't out of line. If its got plastic tanks though, then its really high.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

good question. I'll be asking today for the complete breakdown of what they fixed/replaced. Not sure I can do much about them gouging me on parts but I'm sure I'll be able to tell from the invoice they give me. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcamber
good question. I'll be asking today for the complete breakdown of what they fixed/replaced. Not sure I can do much about them gouging me on parts but I'm sure I'll be able to tell from the invoice they give me. I'll keep you guys posted.
Ok, just looked up cost of new radiator using www.audionlineparts.com and found that the retail cost is $319. So the remaining cost would be for coolant and labor, which to me does seem a bit high but that all depends on their hourly rate and the number of labor hours assigned by Audi to do that particular job. The system holds 12.7 qts of coolant @ about $25/gal that is a little over $75.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was it the engine radiator for the motor or the supercharger charge cooler?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jcamber
ugh. So the car gave me a "turn off engine and check coolant level" message last night. I checked and sure enough there is no coolant in the tank. I drove it over to audi and they filled it up only to get the same message this morning when I left the house. I took it back again and the diagnostic is that the radiator (or a component of the cooling system) was perforated by road debris or who knows and to replace the parts and flush the system, etc. is a cool $1,350. I about fell off my chair.

Any notion as to whether this cost is fair? I was honestly thinking to ask them to not do anything and let me take it to a non-dealer shop but the last thing I want is for this to not be done right and have to be paying even more later on.
Might be covered under TSB maybe? Look at this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...diator+service
Old 05-15-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

If the damage is from road debris, it should be covered under your auto insurance. Either as comprehensive or collision claim. Yes, you will have to eat your deductible...

FWIW.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gronk
Might be covered under TSB maybe? Look at this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...diator+service
Wow. I just read that thread and it's exactly the SAME issue. Same part, etc. I'm sure they'll say the debris made it past the grill and still managed to perforate the radiator. Is that even possible? I guess so. But the fact that there is a TSB in place for this makes me think either the original grill wasn't appropriate in the first place or Audi recognizes there is an engineering problem somewhere. I'm calling back today and asking for this to be looked at. Here's the breakdown of what I had to pay last night:

1 8K0-145-804-E - Intercooler radiator - $266.37
1 8K0-820-746-C - Grill - $149.50
9 8K0-867-646 - Clip - $72.45
1 G-013-A8J-1G - Coolant - $30.41
Labor $630
A/C System Evac and Re-charge $180
Total : $1,328.73

Last edited by jcamber; 05-16-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the quoted thread, and saw the picture, where exactly would I look to see if I had this extra barrier? I am not someone who does more than fill the windshield washer fluid under the hood...
Old 05-16-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
I read the quoted thread, and saw the picture, where exactly would I look to see if I had this extra barrier? I am not someone who does more than fill the windshield washer fluid under the hood...
The intercooler radiator is located at the bottom center below the bumper (the aluminum bar that goes headlight to headlight).

Name:  Intercoolergrill02_zps04b2e263.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  47.2 KB

Instead of buying the Audi guard, you can have a guard fabricated from expanded metal. I would also mount it at a angle an inch or two in front of the grill so if something solid hits, the guard can have room to deflect before it hits the radiator.

Name:  big_sample_front_zpseecdb009.png
Views: 337
Size:  768.8 KB

Quick Reply: $1,350 for a perforated radiator?