Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

12V to USB Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That certainly would work, but I think we ought to be able to give the same functionality without making major modifications to the vehicle. One of the nice things about using the DC outlets is that you could certainly if you wanted to use a DC to AC inverter.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Ended up ordering this setup for the time being. Will run this within the center arm rest.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
I'm looking forward to my upcoming '14 S6, and I wondered a couple of things:
  1. Is there a cable that will charge an iPhone 6 Plus (basically needs to be a a couple amps) for AMI?
  2. In the 4 zone climage option rear ports behind the "door" is there clearance room to drop a couple of these DC dual high power chargers into the dual DC ports and still allow the door to close? If not, does anyone know of a slimmer high output dual charger that could drop back there?

Thanks!
I use two of these and the door closes just fine. They are 5V per usb port (most dual port units split the volts so you can't really plug in two devices) so they work great for kids charging (up to 4) multiple devices in the back seat.

Griffin GC23089 PowerJolt Dual Micro Auto Adapter by Office Depot & OfficeMax

Last edited by das2.7t; 09-24-2015 at 09:23 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-24-2015, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm looking for exactly these but are 12W per port like listed above, so iPads and iPhones can be charged. They aren't common, but someday soon they will be available this slim if they aren't already. Glad to know these fit. Do you have just a mm of clearance or more?
Old 09-25-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm looking for exactly these but are 12W per port like listed above, so iPads and iPhones can be charged. They aren't common, but someday soon they will be available this slim if they aren't already. Glad to know these fit. Do you have just a mm of clearance or more?
Yes, clearance is very close when the door covering the outlets closes but they never rub or hit.

iPhones (iPhone6) and iPads (iPad Air) charge just fine with these. 5v does the trick. iPhones charge at a good rate, similar to a wall charger, iPads are slow to charge but still do so fine. For example, if the kids have a couple of iPads in the back charging and are surfing the web or watching a movie with full screen brightness, they will still increase battery charge percentage, albeit slowly.

Last edited by das2.7t; 09-25-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cool. Glad to know that works in the 1A carrying.

I think I just found what I was looking for to get high power to both ports
here here

I suppose the proof will be whether it actually fits, but it seems like it ought to. I just ordered one but will wait on the other until I'm sure it works well.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Note that an iPhone will not charge faster nor draw more than a 5W input. An iPad will not charge faster nor draw more than a 10W input (or 12 watt on newer models). Anything more will be ignored.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Actually, beginning with the iPhone 5, iPhones can pull down 10 or 12W depending upon the model. Likewise, 4th gen and later iPads can pull down 12W (4th Gen/Retina iPads even come with 12W chargers.

The high powered chargers are great to top up iPhones really quickly, which is good since A6s and S6s can move really quickly!
Old 09-25-2015, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Actually, beginning with the iPhone 5, iPhones can pull down 10 or 12W depending upon the model. Likewise, 4th gen and later iPads can pull down 12W (4th Gen/Retina iPads even come with 12W chargers.

The high powered chargers are great to top up iPhones really quickly, which is good since A6s and S6s can move really quickly!
I did some research on this and you are correct except it started with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, not the iPhone 5. I have a 5s and have tested it with the 5W and my iPad 12W Apple chargers. The charge time for the phone is the same on either charger.

Here's a test review from Mac Rumors:
iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Capable of Faster Charging Using iPad 2.1A Adapter - Mac Rumors
Old 09-25-2015, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Strange. The 5 always seemed to be faster using the 2.1A Kensington Charger in the car, but I might have been comparing it to an earlier USB port, which would only provide 1/2 amp.

My wife's 6S and my 6 Plus will benefit, but I occasionally used my varying versions of iPad for navigation systems in my car on longer trips and it's nice not to have to deal with worrying about which to charge with.

Quick Reply: 12V to USB Questions