Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

19 inch vs. 20 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19 inch vs. 20 inch wheels

I have done a lot of research on this online for the past two weeks and came to get a final opinion here. I'm planning on getting an A6 Prestige with sport package. All the cars I can pick up at the dealer have 20 inch wheels with All summer tires.

I wanted to get 19 inches for a few reasons (1. Reported to be less bumpier, lower chance of blowouts in potholes, comes with All season tires). I can do without the aesthetics of the 20 inch rims, not really a must for me (safety is a priority) and if needed I can upgrade the 19 inch wheels down the line for aesthetics.

From what I hear some people say 20 inch wheels handle better, other say not the case. So I'm not sure if its the wheel or the tire. Any opinions?

The car is for my wife, who will be driving it in the East bay, northern California. The temperature here can drop down to 40 degrees in the winter during late night or early am. If the car is garaged I'm assuming the tires with by 40 degrees+ easily and will heat up fast on the road so in that case the all summer tires should not be a factor for all year driving.

So what do people say custom order with 19" or I'll be just as good with 20". She'll mostly be doing freeway driving with this and some inner city driving. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Most women will suffer a bit for good looking shoes, but I don't think that applies to wheels Based on your criteria, I'd get the 19s for the comfort and and fewer potential issues than one can have with a lower profile tire on a bigger rim. And yes, the 20s will handle a bit better in dry conditions. The all-season rubber will obviously give you better wet handling.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is a noticeable (not just marginal) difference in handling between the 19s and the 20s. However, the 20s are a rougher ride and can be noisy on the highway. Especially if you find a certain type of road the wheels will almost start to harmonize and hum. It's a trade off for sure, I like the look 20s and the better handling.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always keep the 20s and swap the tires, look at the General GMAX AS3 tires. My M37S came with summer Bridgestone 20s and they rode very firm and harsh, when they were done I put the Generals on and the ride quality was greatly improved. The other bonus is they handle great and wet traction is awesome. On decent roads these tire ride great. They are also not very expensive, cheaper than swapping out your wheels and tires. Look them up on tirerack.com.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by keithl
You can always keep the 20s and swap the tires, look at the General GMAX AS3 tires. My M37S came with summer Bridgestone 20s and they rode very firm and harsh, when they were done I put the Generals on and the ride quality was greatly improved. The other bonus is they handle great and wet traction is awesome. On decent roads these tire ride great. They are also not very expensive, cheaper than swapping out your wheels and tires. Look them up on tirerack.com.
This is the path I have chosen on my recent order as the 20 inch wheels just look sooo much better to me than the 19s. I'll run the summer tires for a bit, then switch to some conti all-seasons.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Check out the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, awesome reviews beats some summer tires. I just ordered a set of 20s and some Hartmann wheels, and best yet I am getting them from discount tire and they got me better price than ordering the wheels direct from Hartmann. Also since they are coming in next week they have a Labor Day sale where there will be a $100 rebate on 4 tires and then another $100 rebate on buying 4 wheels from them. A the wheels after rebate will be $298 each for the HS5-209-GA:M wheels and then $220 each for the Michelins and to top it off they offer 12 months free financing.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by keithl
Check out the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, awesome reviews beats some summer tires. I just ordered a set of 20s and some Hartmann wheels, and best yet I am getting them from discount tire and they got me better price than ordering the wheels direct from Hartmann. Also since they are coming in next week they have a Labor Day sale where there will be a $100 rebate on 4 tires and then another $100 rebate on buying 4 wheels from them. A the wheels after rebate will be $298 each for the HS5-209-GA:M wheels and then $220 each for the Michelins and to top it off they offer 12 months free financing.
I cannot find the Hartmann wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires on discount tire website.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can go to the store, they can order virtually anything, it does not have to be on their website. You will always get a better deal from them in person anyway.They called Hartmann and got the wheels from them direct as a reseller and they had the Michelins in their system so they ordered them up. I have a great relationship with my discount tire and have been dealing with the manager there for years. Even when we buy new cars I go there and buy their lifetime rotate/balance and road hazard on the tires, worked out well recently, gf took a huge bolt to her 23k old leased TSX and they just replaced the tire.

Last edited by keithl; 08-20-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unless you wife is going to drive it like she stole it, get the 19's

Why

1. more comfortable ride / less bumpier
2. lower chance of blowouts in potholes
3. She will appreciate the all season tires

The 20's will handle a bit better if you are really pushing the car in corners, etc. But if your wife is mainly driving it on the freeway, and she is not one to drive like she stole it, get the 19's. She will be happier and in turn, you will be happier

note there is not one universal answer here, you have to take into consideration the driver, their driving style, where they live, the quality of roads and how much the weather changes

Last edited by Maverick61; 08-20-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are there safety or dangerous negatives to put 19" tires on 20" wheels?

I do not mean a slight diminishing of performance driving around curves but instead a significant matter of handling control and longevity of the tires.

Quick Reply: 19 inch vs. 20 inch wheels