Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 air conditioning issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A6 air conditioning issue

Hi folks - just checking to see if anyone has a similar problem. I bought my A6 in September and noticed that in cool days where the temperture outdoors was between say 60 - 70 F, the a/c would blow very hard and cold and I actually had to manually adjust the fan or the temp to keep from freezing. I took the car to the dealer to have him look at it, but it came back with "in spec" report. I figured the tech did not understand the problem, but I never had a chance to speak with him directly. During the winter it was of course not a problem, so I forgot about it.

In the spring, the problem re-occured on mild days, but did not get back to dealer with it.

Lately, even on blisteringly hot days, the a/c is cranking out super cold air at high fan speed (not max speed, but still high) so that after a while it becomes too cold inside in the car. This is when the outdoor temps are in the high 90's. It is as if the auto temperature control does not modulate itself.

I have an appointment next week with the dealer to re-explain the issue, but was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

This is my 5th consecutive A6 and all of previous cars had a nearly perfect auto climate system. I set the dials for 70 and it held it there perfectly in super hot or super cold days. I doubt I touched the dial more than once in all of my previous cars; I set it and forgot it.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like my Outback

Could be thermostat, interior temp sensor or exterior temp sensor. You need to visit the dealer again. Hopefully one of the components is giving an error code they can track down.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Westchesterrick
Hi folks - just checking to see if anyone has a similar problem. I bought my A6 in September and noticed that in cool days where the temperture outdoors was between say 60 - 70 F, the a/c would blow very hard and cold and I actually had to manually adjust the fan or the temp to keep from freezing. I took the car to the dealer to have him look at it, but it came back with "in spec" report. I figured the tech did not understand the problem, but I never had a chance to speak with him directly. During the winter it was of course not a problem, so I forgot about it.

In the spring, the problem re-occured on mild days, but did not get back to dealer with it.

Lately, even on blisteringly hot days, the a/c is cranking out super cold air at high fan speed (not max speed, but still high) so that after a while it becomes too cold inside in the car. This is when the outdoor temps are in the high 90's. It is as if the auto temperature control does not modulate itself.

I have an appointment next week with the dealer to re-explain the issue, but was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

This is my 5th consecutive A6 and all of previous cars had a nearly perfect auto climate system. I set the dials for 70 and it held it there perfectly in super hot or super cold days. I doubt I touched the dial more than once in all of my previous cars; I set it and forgot it.
Have you checked the ac setting in the mmi. There are 3 blower settings and you may find it better selecting "efficiency" as it will blow less aggressively
Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might want to check your rear settings while your car is running. I went into the back and someone had turned the temp way down so the rear outlets were blowing like crazy. I set them to 72 or 74 and the car became quieter.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Have you checked the ac setting in the mmi. There are 3 blower settings and you may find it better selecting "efficiency" as it will blow less aggressively
Where is the AC menu in the MMI? I don't recall seeing one and have a somewhat related issue in that my AC doesn't seem to blow much air even on the highest fan setting.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker74
Where is the AC menu in the MMI? I don't recall seeing one and have a somewhat related issue in that my AC doesn't seem to blow much air even on the highest fan setting.
Car>Systems>AC
Old 07-16-2012, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Car>Systems>AC
Ok, we may not have that menu in the US but will check again.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tucker74
Ok, we may not have that menu in the US but will check again.
We have a AC menu here in the states but its mostly to control the rear AC.

Menu > Car > Car Systems > AC
Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 PM
BEH
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dht34
We have a AC menu here in the states but its mostly to control the rear AC.

Menu > Car > Car Systems > AC
I don't have that menue in my Canadian car
Old 07-16-2012, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

In my car now and don't see the menu.

Quick Reply: 2012 A6 air conditioning issue