Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 as an only car? Long Commute

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 400 mile weekly commute in stop and go traffic (highway). 40 miles each way daily and that 40 miles takes anywhere from 1hr 15 minutes to 2-frustrating hours (all stop and go). Los Angeles traffic.

Audi A6 is my sole transportation at moment as I'm rebuilding engine of my backup car (3.8 V6 custom tuned Supercharged GTP). But Honestly, I seriously doubt I'll be using my backup car once fixed unless it's an emergency.

The Audi A6 is it for me. I'm in love. = )
Although still stock for now, in my experience a tuned engine will get better mileage and looking forward to getting my car tuned.
My biggest wear at moment is rear brakes. They are wearing very quickly because I use the adaptive cruise control to rest on my 2-hour-ish drives. Outside of that, absolutely no complaints!

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 06-24-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CFO
Your TDI suggestion prompted me to compare the prices of Diesel and Premium Gas at the pump. I was surprised to find that Diesel is cheaper.
I compared a 2016 A6 with the gas and diesel engine. The cost of the diesel A6 was around $2000 more ($41,500 vs $43,600). At your current commute rate, you'll save $1320 yearly on fuel. That would pay the difference in less than two years. Add the fact that you will be stopping less to fill up too - about once a week.

That's why I said to consider it. You can have a newer car for less money.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:42 AM
CFO
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CFO
Good catch. I meant C7.
I posted this a little over a year ago and wanted to provide an update on the decision I ended with.

I held on the Camry for some months more after my post until I couldn’t handle the varying driving experiences between the Camry and the A6 any longer. I woke up one Saturday and decided I’ve had it. Drove to a Toyota dealership and CarMax to see what I could get for my Camry (No time to sell the car myself). I was pleasantly surprised that CarMax offered me more than KBB quoted as a reasonable price for a “private sale”. The CarMax guy said it coincided with tax season and demands were high for the specs and mileage for my Camry. I picked up the check and paid off the A6.

In hindsight, I suppose I held on to the Camry long enough to get comfortable with the idea of putting 500 to 700 miles weekly on a machine like the A6. Or maybe mentally, I just needed the car to be debt free before I can turn it into a work horse. Whatever it was, I’ve been enjoying the car and will happily subject the A6 or any future Audi I buy to such highway mileage (I’m looking at you Mr. SQ5).
Old 08-14-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CFO
Your TDI suggestion prompted me to compare the prices of Diesel and Premium Gas at the pump. I was surprised to find that Diesel is cheaper.
You unfortunately don't state your location but last week I found $1.99 in AZ, regular, of course.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Diesel is significantly cheaper than premium here in New York.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:47 PM
CFO
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
You unfortunately don't state your location but last week I found $1.99 in AZ, regular, of course.
I'm in Charlotte, NC and my comment was from June, 2015. I'll have to check to see what Diesel costs now and compare it to the Premium Gas I buy at BJ's which is currently $2.15 per gallon ($2.25 less 10 cents off for using BJ's credit card. Comes down to $1.73 for Regular).

My guess is that Diesel probably costs almost exactly the same compared to the Premium Gas price quoted above.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

If anybody wants to check fuel prices here is a link.

U.S. Gasoline and Diesel Retail Prices
Old 08-14-2016, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CFO
I'm in Charlotte, NC and my comment was from June, 2015. I'll have to check to see what Diesel costs now and compare it to the Premium Gas I buy at BJ's which is currently $2.15 per gallon ($2.25 less 10 cents off for using BJ's credit card. Comes down to $1.73 for Regular).

My guess is that Diesel probably costs almost exactly the same compared to the Premium Gas price quoted above.

+2 on BJ's fuel and utilizing their new credit card....
Old 08-14-2016, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CFO
I did this math when I bought my 2013 Passat TDI new. I compared the cost of gas and diesel for my 100 mile per day commute - mostly 55mph+ on back country roads. 2 stop lights and 2 stop signs each way. I end up doing 36k per year. Buy fuel once a week, or once every 7 to 8 days.

The TDI was a better value even when diesel cost more than reagular cheap gas. Payback was way before 100k. Plus, my sedan choices are limited. My entire family is over 6 foot tall and I still have 3 kids at home.

Once I started driving it I will never go back to a gasser again. On road trips our friends will always comment on how driveable the car is and how quiet it is - no big downshifting and screaming engine all the time.

Next car is an A6 TDI as soon as I have time to go get one.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Another site that you may find useful is gasbuddy.com. Just type in your zip code.

I check it every couple weeks before I fill up as in the Cleveland area, prices for diesel among stations by nearly $2.00 !! Obviously, there are stations that are consistently low, all of which are on my way home. See screen shot below:

Quick Reply: 2012 A6 as an only car? Long Commute