Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 Problems / Requesting Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 AM
RJL
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetinder
Everything is specific these days I find, everything "substantial". It took 6 weeks to get a new rear screen for my 8 last year "because it's new", and that was 6 months after deliveries of the A8 started. There are always a few glitches, but at least the dealership were diligent enough to check over the entire car.

Good luck with the car though. Have you had a word with the sales person or their manager ? They usually have access to an area manager from Audi who often has better ties with Audi Germany and what REALLY is going on than Audi technical.

Jet
Thanks Jet. I did speak with Bernardi's top managers. They seemed to genuinely want to help, so they informed all key staff about it and have been accommodating on requests. So far, no complaints on their stance towards me.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 AM
RJL
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jetinder
Everything is specific these days I find, everything "substantial". It took 6 weeks to get a new rear screen for my 8 last year "because it's new", and that was 6 months after deliveries of the A8 started. There are always a few glitches, but at least the dealership were diligent enough to check over the entire car.

Good luck with the car though. Have you had a word with the sales person or their manager ? They usually have access to an area manager from Audi who often has better ties with Audi Germany and what REALLY is going on than Audi technical.

Jet
Thanks Jet, spoke to top managers at Bernardi. They expressed what appeared to be genuine desire to help here and intervening with Audi (probably via area manager); they accommodated with a loaner, didn't do any hard sell tactics or give me any BS sounding responses; promised to get back to me on fixed dates, and otherwise have taken a reasonable stance thus far towards me given circumstances.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm working through Wagner in West Boylston. They took my VIP pricing without any problems Now... if I could only get a solid delivery date.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 PM
RJL
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2012 A6 Problems LATEST UPDATE

To the extent people are interested, I will chronicle for you my interaction with Audi on attempting to expedite a transmission repair for a Quartz Gray 2012 A6 that was less than a week old before it had to go under the knife. In fact, the car just had its first state inspection in MA when a faulty mechatronics unit was discovered.

Fast forward a week after the 2nd drop off:

Received a call from Audi Customer Service late afternoon today - Day 7 according to them on the number of days my car has been out of commission; Day 9 according to my records. ACS confirmed that the mechatronics unit ("the brains of the transmission") had to be re-ordered and will indeed come from Germany. ACS said that it will likely be "mid-to-end" of September for the receipt of the new part which I must assume will be 1st week of October before getting my car after installation which means my wait period will be 3-4 weeks or 15-20 business days.

As some of you know, there was also a coincident problem, a rear fog lamp warning that initiated my taking the car in for service in the first place, only 4 days after picking the new car off the lot. The faulty fog lamp system and the aforementioned faulty mechatronics unit are not related at all, for us mechanically unsophisticated peeps. So I have to have repaired two independently broken systems.

I asked the ACS rep if the car could even be driven around with a faulty unit; he said that it probably could, but "why would I?" The mech unit is the "brains" that is central to proper shifting, etc. "Safety is important to Audi, which is why we are proactively trying to get this repaired fully under warranty. We understand that given the circumstances, you are not happy." Based on this conversation, I have established that my car should a) not be driven during this service period and b) would not be safe to drive this car even I could.

ACS asked to wait til the dust settled before determining what compensation I would get, almost begging the question, "what happens if the new unit doesn't correct the issue?" I'm taking the position of documenting this all first, waiting till facts are collected, and then determining what the "ask" will be. If others on this forum have suggestions on this, I'm all ears.

Best,
RJL
Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJL

ACS asked to wait til the dust settled before determining what compensation I would get, almost begging the question, "what happens if the new unit doesn't correct the issue?" I'm taking the position of documenting this all first, waiting till facts are collected, and then determining what the "ask" will be. If others on this forum have suggestions on this, I'm all ears.

Best,
RJL
Oh, that's not good. Certainly not what you want to happen with a brand new car. Hope it all works out for you. I'll be interested to hear what they compensate you with.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

RJL, sounds like your car is not safe to drive and cannot pass state inspection due to the mechatronics unit. If the mechatronics doesnt fix the problem, I would ask Audi of America for a voluntary buy back or a new car. If they refuse, I would file for the MA lemon law and hire a lawyer to sent them a letter with your intent. Rather the mechatronics fix the problem or not, I would also ask AOA for some kind of compensation such as 1st month payment or Audi care.

Good Luck
Old 09-15-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

re: "ACS said that it will likely be "mid-to-end" of September for the receipt of the new part which I must assume will be 1st week of October before getting my car after installation which means my wait period will be 3-4 weeks or 15-20 business days."

This seems to say it all, in terms of how Audi prioritizes things (i.e. puts you at the bottom of the queue). They surely have a stock of the mechatronics units at the factory (otherwise, production would be halted). It may even be the same mechatronics unit for other cars besides the A6. If they prioritized a paid customer first (i.e., you), they would simply take one from their factory stock and overnight it, today. You'd have your car back in a couple days.

Audi made this choice because it's best for them (but worst for you). I think you'd be justified in seeking compensation for the days of non-use of your new car beyond what it would have been, had they prioritized existing customer satisfaction ahead of their own self-interests. You may not get any compensation, but I think you'd be justified in making the case you are deserving of it.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 AM
RJL
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
RJL, sounds like your car is not safe to drive and cannot pass state inspection due to the mechatronics unit. If the mechatronics doesnt fix the problem, I would ask Audi of America for a voluntary buy back or a new car. If they refuse, I would file for the MA lemon law and hire a lawyer to sent them a letter with your intent. Rather the mechatronics fix the problem or not, I would also ask AOA for some kind of compensation such as 1st month payment or Audi care.

Good Luck
Thanks for the advice G man. All rational.

RJL
Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 AM
RJL
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EF99
re: "ACS said that it will likely be "mid-to-end" of September for the receipt of the new part which I must assume will be 1st week of October before getting my car after installation which means my wait period will be 3-4 weeks or 15-20 business days."

This seems to say it all, in terms of how Audi prioritizes things (i.e. puts you at the bottom of the queue). They surely have a stock of the mechatronics units at the factory (otherwise, production would be halted). It may even be the same mechatronics unit for other cars besides the A6. If they prioritized a paid customer first (i.e., you), they would simply take one from their factory stock and overnight it, today. You'd have your car back in a couple days.

Audi made this choice because it's best for them (but worst for you). I think you'd be justified in seeking compensation for the days of non-use of your new car beyond what it would have been, had they prioritized existing customer satisfaction ahead of their own self-interests. You may not get any compensation, but I think you'd be justified in making the case you are deserving of it.
Thanks for the advice and commentary.

I'm speaking with the Bernardi managers today because your logic is spot on. Why 2 more weeks for a part that has to be in stock. As for the compensation requirement, that is a given. Maybe not discuss on this forum as I'm assuming also that Audi is reviewing these forums.

RJL
Old 09-15-2011, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Audi doesnt stock too many parts, every major parts that comes off the production line is allocated for a production vehicle due to the high demand or in this case, allocated as a replacement part.

Quick Reply: 2012 A6 Problems / Requesting Advice