Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 --snow report

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 A6 --snow report

Finally got to test out my 2012 A6 and the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT's I am using as winter tires. In a word: AMAZING. The Seattle area gets very little snow, but when it comes it causes traffic paralysis because it's so wet it turns instantly to a sheet of ice when driven on. Combine that with a hill and you can imagine the mess. I took my A6 up the steepest residential hill in the area--people were leaning on their snow shovels expecting the inevitable slide-back-to-the-bottom fail as several before me demonstrated. But we did not fulfill their expectations. Drove right to the top, turned around, and safely comfortably drove right back down. Not a slip, no ABS, just a calm and controlled stop at the bottom. While maneuvering around stalled and abandoned vehicles the car simply refused to let go. The only time I could invoke the ESP was with an intentional stab on the throttle. I took our Cadillac CTS Wagon (equipped with AWD and all-season tires) on the same route--and it was ok on a straight line and level ground, but got a little squirrely on the hills and was definitely challenged with the controlled stops. ABS and stability control were very busy. I really can't state my appreciation of how well the Quattro and winter tire combo works--the peace of mind that comes with it is priceless!

Another unexpected benefit is getting a "new" car when I swap the summer tires back on in April...
Old 02-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't even need snow tires. I've been running through the snow and ice on the stock all seasons.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Don't even need snow tires. I've been running through the snow and ice on the stock all seasons.
I'm still running my summer tires through our second snow and ice storm. No issues getting around but not ideal.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Michelin XIce tires on for the winter and have been thrilled. I'm in Eastern PA and we have had our worst winter in quite some time. That car has been nothing but amazing in everything Mother Nature has thrown at it. Last week we had nearly two feet of snow and I did 160 miles during the storm. Not once did the car have an issue. It seems to love the deep snow and cruising in it has been a blast. Except for the few electrical Gremlins (I've seen the tail light out issue and also a headlight range issue) the car has been a pleasure during its first winter. I'm looking forward to spring and getting the Conti's back on. Absolutely love the car and everyone who has ridden in it has been amazed by its ability in the snow and slop.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My Conti's have been holding up just fine.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NightCrawler
I put Michelin XIce tires on for the winter and have been thrilled.
Yea, I love my Michelin xIce XI3 tires in the Pennsylvania winter
Old 02-18-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

My all season Conti's on the 19" sport have performed flawlessly in the all time 5th snowiest winter in the Chicago area. The traction with this set up has performed much better that I expected.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Other than scraping due to the low clearance, the traction is second to none. Not sure what changed from the C6 model but there seems to be significant improvement which I didn't think was possible.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Michelin Pilot Alpine tires on my old A5 wheels...very very quiet and pretty solid in the snow. I live in Northern NY on the border of Canada and we have a good amount of snow and they are awesome! A little slip in deeper snow but for the most part great tire!
Attached Images