Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 A6 Tranny TSB update done..Wow !

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just thinking that maybe, based on problems that have occurred enough to warrant a TSB, they might be proactive and modify production to prevent the problem from having to be fixed later. In my former life I was a software programmer and if someone pointed out a bug I would be changing the source code not continue to send it out buggy knowing it might have to be patched later. Less maintenance, lower cost.

I do know that TSBs are a source of information for mechanics to help them resolve a problem that may be occurring in the vehicle.

Last edited by TheNit; 07-29-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TheNit
In my former life I was a software programmer and if someone pointed out a bug I would be changing the source code not continue to send it out buggy knowing it might have to be patched later. Less maintenance, lower cost.
I too am a software developer (45 years). You must know, then, that commercial software cannot be distributed as issues are resolved, but must go through an extensive QA cycle to ensure that what you just changed doesn't break something else.

I once just changed the version number of an application, and broke it!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just have mine done. Car feels somewhere in the middle of D and S. Can someone confirm if this is the correct TSB? TSB 2029305/5

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I took my car in for this update and was told my car already had the current software. However was told that the tech notices my car was still doing the same thing between shifts and there was a hesitation at times between 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

I was told Audi is aware of this issue and working on something to get it taken care of. I was told I would be notified when something was in to fix this.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Very clever engineers @ Audi. The software update not only have a delayed upshift from 1-2 and 2-3, but it also depends on how heavy your right foot is. Say, in stop and go traffic (NYC for example), most of the time you will tap on the gas pedal, lift your foot and let the car roll. The transmission is smart enough to detect that condition and will not upshift to 2nd gear to prevent the 1-2 jerk. If you continue to step on the gas pedal lightly, 1-2 will only occur at 2100/2200 RPM.

Now, if you drive normally from a complete stop, 1-2 will shift normally at 1800/1900 RPM.

Downshift is also delayed. Another observation is, D->S is 2 steps down now.. say from 6-4 and 5-3. I do not recall it being this aggressive before the software update. This may have to do with the delayed downshift pattern.

The only issue I observed so far is, there was one incident where D->S has no effect. I was traveling at 40 MPH and usually when I do D->S, the car will downshift and slow down. But it missed as if there was a gear slip. Other than that, everything is working good!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have this problem on my car, but I want to describe it and see if it matches.

When pushing down on the gas from a stop relatively gently it is very hard for me to get a smooth consistent acceleration from 1-2 and possibly more so from 2-3. Its not so much that the car is revving high, it just seems almost like a big gap between as the gear changes, like power is dropping, and then it kicks in, sometimes causing a jerk. I find myself delicately playing the throttle to try and avoid this as it makes me sad in my super nice car.

Does this description match what you have experienced?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
I think I have this problem on my car, but I want to describe it and see if it matches.

When pushing down on the gas from a stop relatively gently it is very hard for me to get a smooth consistent acceleration from 1-2 and possibly more so from 2-3. Its not so much that the car is revving high, it just seems almost like a big gap between as the gear changes, like power is dropping, and then it kicks in, sometimes causing a jerk. I find myself delicately playing the throttle to try and avoid this as it makes me sad in my super nice car.

That's pretty much what my car does.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by u2jrmw

My 2-3 was ok. My 1-2 was ridiculous. If you feel exactly like you were rear ended during gear change, then yes, you need to get the software updated.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all, I just started noticing something off with my transmission when accelerating moderate to hard from stop (1-2shift) and stumbled upon this thread. I don't know if it's the same thing, but basically, when I accelerate moderate or hard from a stop (shifts at 3.5k+ rpm) the car will shudder and pause a split second before shifting to 2nd gear. If i do light/normal acceleration from stop (shifts at 2k-3k rpm) there's no issues or jerk at all, same with slowing down/downshifting. 2-3, 3-4 etc. shifts under hard acceleration no issues. This happens in sport or normal mode, don't recall if this happened when I shifted with the paddles in manual mode. So is this what you guys were experiencing before the TSB or might something else be wrong?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heres The TSB i believe.

Harsh downshifts when braking or harsh 1-2 upshift under acceleration

2029305/9

March 4, 2013

Supersedes Technical Service Bulletin Group 37 number 13-87 dated February 6, 2013 for reasons listed.

Condition

Customer may report harsh downshifts while braking or harsh 1-2 upshift under acceleration concerns.

Technical Background

Further TCM software calibration to improve shift concerns.

Production Solution

New software in the Transmission Control Module, J217 (02), addresses the condition.

Quick Reply: 2013 A6 Tranny TSB update done..Wow !