Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 A6 transmission malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 A6 transmission malfunction

Recently when I tried to start my new (3200 miles) car, it would not start, and a big warning appeared on the dash display- in big letters "Transmission malfunction"! After trying again to start the car, I got a message that it was "OK to drive with the malfunction". I drove to the dealer, and got a loaner. Dealer had never heard of the message. Got the car back the next day, Told it was necessary to reprogram the transmission. Car now much more responsive in dynamic mode, like day & night difference. I am guessing that the car was never as responsive as intended, but was good before. Now its great. Has anyoe else seen this message? After a 15 minute drive home it seems far better, but I will have to drive under more varied conditions before I decide.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dssdmd
Recently when I tried to start my new (3200 miles) car, it would not start, and a big warning appeared on the dash display- in big letters "Transmission malfunction"! After trying again to start the car, I got a message that it was "OK to drive with the malfunction". I drove to the dealer, and got a loaner. Dealer had never heard of the message. Got the car back the next day, Told it was necessary to reprogram the transmission. Car now much more responsive in dynamic mode, like day & night difference. I am guessing that the car was never as responsive as intended, but was good before. Now its great. Has anyoe else seen this message? After a 15 minute drive home it seems far better, but I will have to drive under more varied conditions before I decide.
It am getting more and more convinced that C7s have a strong powertrain and hardware of the car is build very solid. The issues that most likely to occur will be software related. I personally never experienced your specific problem except the jerky downshifts during the first 10K miles. After some time the software learned my driving style and it is now smooth. I believe in your case the software flash solved the problem. So hopefully it will stay "great" as you noted.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the tranny malfunction is a boon. How can I make the malfunction light go on?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by qqq1970
How can I make the malfunction light go on?
LOL!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default before the fix

I neglected to mention that after I got the warning, and before the fix, the transmission shift points were very delayed, and abrupt, so I assume whatever program controls shift points went erratic, or failed to influence shift points. So far,after the fix, I am very happy. Lets see how it works under different conditions.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes!! this EXACT same thing happened to me back in the early spring. i took it to the dealer, they checked everything. no fault codes, couldn't duplicate it, never heard of it, never seen it before, etc. they shrugged their shoulders and sent me on my way. it's never come back. i posted about this several months ago as well. so was there a TSB or anything for what they did on the reprogramming? by the way, I've never noticed anything unusual about my shifting patterns.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Transmission malfunction

In my case, the dealer, who had never seen the warning before, said he reported the error message to Audi, and they advised reprogramming to the latest version for the transmission. I definitely noticed that after the failure , the shift points were quite delayed, and more abrupt. After the fix, in dynamic- same setting as before- the shift points are more aggressive than before the error message.After the fix, very smooth. I feel it is better than before the fix. I do not know if my car was really in dynamic during its first 3200 miles. It seemed fine, but not aggressive. Now its a much better response, like I had hoped when I chose dynamic. I have not yet tried other settings. I also do not know if the update I got is any different than new cars were back in April, when I got my car.