Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2014 A6 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 A6 TDI

Hey all. I just bought my first Audi this week, a 2014 A6 TDI Premium Plus. It has always been kinda of a little kid dream of mine to drive a luxury car and boy does this Audi fit that! The car is so comfortable and is a real head turner. I have had one guy in an older A6 stop me in a parking lot and ask me if it was for sale haha he wanted it. It is white with beige and has the 19" sports package. I drove one with the 20" and the 18" and I loved how the 19" was a mix of 'fun' and 'comfort' without overdoing it, so I settled on the 19". The mileage of this is by far unbelievable, especially for the size. The website says upload picture fail so I will try again later.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations! Eagerly awaiting delivery on mine around Xmas. Previously had a C6 and can't wait to rejoin the fold.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:52 AM
DBV
AudiWorld Member

Congrats! So, I am curious what mpg you are getting? Thanks!

Originally Posted by DasA6
Hey all. I just bought my first Audi this week, a 2014 A6 TDI Premium Plus. It has always been kinda of a little kid dream of mine to drive a luxury car and boy does this Audi fit that! The car is so comfortable and is a real head turner. I have had one guy in an older A6 stop me in a parking lot and ask me if it was for sale haha he wanted it. It is white with beige and has the 19" sports package. I drove one with the 20" and the 18" and I loved how the 19" was a mix of 'fun' and 'comfort' without overdoing it, so I settled on the 19". The mileage of this is by far unbelievable, especially for the size. The website says upload picture fail so I will try again later.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DBV
Congrats! So, I am curious what mpg you are getting? Thanks!
I've got 660 miles on mine. My daily commute is 20 miles each way (70% highway @ 75-80 mph and 30% secondary roads) and the "long term" trip computer is currently showing 30.0 MPG (assuming this is 10% "optimistic", actual MPG is probably 27-28). However, by the time I get to/from work each day, the short-term trip computer is generally showing 33-36mpg and the long-term mpg has been steadily increasing with each trip so I expect it to eventually settle in the 33-35 range per the trip computer (meaning 30-31mpg in actuality).

The "range" of it has been great - I've tanked up once at with around 440 miles on it and the trip computer was still showing I had about 100 miles to go till empty.

It has certainly met all my expectations in terms of power and MPG - as much as I enjoyed my 2010 3.0T, the 2014 TDI far surpasses it on all accounts.

And congrats to the OP.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am pretty consistent with audi40's numbers. I have a picture of purely conservative driving MPG's and would post it but the website keeps telling me upload fail, even this morning. I went to dinner last night and stopped along the way at two stores and overall came back with 35.1 MPG with about 70/30 split for highway and light-to-light surface streets.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Some ULTRA conservative driving.
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...psc651b376.jpg

Really though it is sticking around 30-31 with a 55-45 slight bias highway driving. That is with the start/stop and also A/C on auto set to 68.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gtab55
Some ULTRA conservative driving.
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...psc651b376.jpg

Really though it is sticking around 30-31 with a 55-45 slight bias highway driving. That is with the start/stop and also A/C on auto set to 68.
Very impressive and very promising. Was that from engine start or was the trip computer reset while on the highway?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by in2dwww
Very impressive and very promising. Was that from engine start or was the trip computer reset while on the highway?
From engine start. Upon entering the highway I traveled about 5 miles down a light grade and periodically pausing on a flat part before hitting very small hills. If the car wasn't new I would be set on cruise for the trip but I figured I would try and milk it out for some better numbers. Coming back I took a different route that was completely flat and stopped to refuel. When I refueled and set off again, the 17 miles home averaged 33.4 on the screen.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DasA6
From engine start. Upon entering the highway I traveled about 5 miles down a light grade and periodically pausing on a flat part before hitting very small hills. If the car wasn't new I would be set on cruise for the trip but I figured I would try and milk it out for some better numbers. Coming back I took a different route that was completely flat and stopped to refuel. When I refueled and set off again, the 17 miles home averaged 33.4 on the screen.
My first diesel was a MKV Jetta TDI with a 6-speed manual. The key to high MPGs was to maintain momentum. This was very easy to do on the highway by keeping large following distances and maintaining speed as much as possible. Uphill, it was easy to keep the car in top gear since it was a manual, and the torque made hills very fun indeed.

I'm just shocked that the A6 TDI does so well with a V6 and quattro. My 2013 Passat TDI with DSG could never get close 45mpg average. My 2008 MB E320 BlueTec gets just over 34mpg on long trips.

What I can tell you is that the redesigned E-class diesel will be dropping the V6 diesel in favor of a less powerful 4-cylinder with 4matic. I am really disappointed in that move by MB. I'm so glad the A6 doesn't have the VW 4-cylinder.

One key thing to remember is to not baby the car. The TDI and BlueTec need to be driven like German missiles in order to get effective DPF regens and good compression. Also, long drives over the weekend will help keep the car in top shape. If you haven't done so already, check out TDIClub forums.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:54 AM
DBV
AudiWorld Member

I drove the E250 and the A6 TDI on Saturday and I thought they were both impressive. Even though the Mercedes was a 4 cylinder, it was definitely no slouch. Very smooth, as was the Audi. MPG was definitely better on the Mercedes, which it should be with a 4 cylinder. I drove both about 30 minutes each.

I enjoyed both cars and would be happy with either.

Originally Posted by in2dwww
My first diesel was a MKV Jetta TDI with a 6-speed manual. The key to high MPGs was to maintain momentum. This was very easy to do on the highway by keeping large following distances and maintaining speed as much as possible. Uphill, it was easy to keep the car in top gear since it was a manual, and the torque made hills very fun indeed.

I'm just shocked that the A6 TDI does so well with a V6 and quattro. My 2013 Passat TDI with DSG could never get close 45mpg average. My 2008 MB E320 BlueTec gets just over 34mpg on long trips.

What I can tell you is that the redesigned E-class diesel will be dropping the V6 diesel in favor of a less powerful 4-cylinder with 4matic. I am really disappointed in that move by MB. I'm so glad the A6 doesn't have the VW 4-cylinder.

One key thing to remember is to not baby the car. The TDI and BlueTec need to be driven like German missiles in order to get effective DPF regens and good compression. Also, long drives over the weekend will help keep the car in top shape. If you haven't done so already, check out TDIClub forums.

Quick Reply: 2014 A6 TDI