Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2014 Active Lane assist no vibration, but stays in lane

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Active Lane Assist No Vibration

Originally Posted by Xtek
You can turn the vibration on/off in the MMI Car Settings menu under Driver Assist. I've noticed even with it on I haven't felt the vibration, that or it's super light.
[B]>>>>

I have new A6 AllRoad 3.0 TDI LE with 2014 spec in Australia, lovely vehicle.

Active Lane Assist works great and general keeps the vehicle in lane automatically. The system seems to monitor for manual steering wheel input and gives a warning if the MMI "believes" you are not actively steering yourself.. If so, Active Lane Assist goes into standby and only returns when you provide manual input.

System seems very safe and intelligent but there is a mystery about the vibration options that are described in the manual and which appear in the MMI Drive Assist setup menu?

The following 4 options are in the Drive Assist MMI Setup Menu..

1... EARLY.. this provides a "soft" automatic change of direction when wandering out of lane... The steering gently returns the vehicle and this can be felt in steering wheel, but softly.

2... LATE... this provides a more aggressive automatic and late change of direction.. the steering can be felt in the steering wheel very clearly.

3... VIBRATION OFF

4... VIBRATION ON ... This function DOES NOT APPEAR TO WORK at all, no vibration warnings are evident at any time from the steering wheel.

I have asked the dealer about this and also Audi Australia. No clear answer has been received yet.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by amcd61
[B]>>>>

I have new A6 AllRoad 3.0 TDI LE with 2014 spec in Australia, lovely vehicle.

Active Lane Assist works great and general keeps the vehicle in lane automatically. The system seems to monitor for manual steering wheel input and gives a warning if the MMI "believes" you are not actively steering yourself.. If so, Active Lane Assist goes into standby and only returns when you provide manual input.

System seems very safe and intelligent but there is a mystery about the vibration options that are described in the manual and which appear in the MMI Drive Assist setup menu?

The following 4 options are in the Drive Assist MMI Setup Menu..

1... EARLY.. this provides a "soft" automatic change of direction when wandering out of lane... The steering gently returns the vehicle and this can be felt in steering wheel, but softly.

2... LATE... this provides a more aggressive automatic and late change of direction.. the steering can be felt in the steering wheel very clearly.

3... VIBRATION OFF

4... VIBRATION ON ... This function DOES NOT APPEAR TO WORK at all, no vibration warnings are evident at any time from the steering wheel.

I have asked the dealer about this and also Audi Australia. No clear answer has been received yet.
I don't think I have all those MMI options (NA car). However the vibration on my car does work. If you force the car out of the lane with the lane assist on, but without signaling, which means slightly fighting the push back against the lane-correcting steering input, the steering wheel gives a slight vibration as you cross out of the lane, sort of like you just drove over a rough patch in the road.

Try it and you will feel the consistent vibration every time you force it out of a lane. You may have been mistaking the vibration for road imperfections, or just more focused on the push back from the steering wheel (which can catch you off guard). However you will not feel the vibration if Lane Assist is not on, or not active (green), or if you signal before changing lanes.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to feel the vibration, but then I don't force it out of the lane, I may try that and see.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 AM
Banned

I had a MB E350 loaner car last month which was equipped with a lane warning system that would vibrate the wheel.

The system would actually pick up grooves in the road caused by car accidents, and it would sometimes catch concrete/asphalt changes. It was more of a false alarm than a useful feature, so I turned it off.

Funny enough, I could never find an A6 in the MD/VA/DC area with the driver's assistance package to test drive.

I ordered the DA package, but not because the steering wheel vibrates. If I wanted a steering wheel that vibrates all the time, I'd get a BMW! ZING!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by keithl
I have yet to feel the vibration, but then I don't force it out of the lane, I may try that and see.
Yes. You only feel the vibration in the case where the Lane Departure system is active AND you change lanes when you are not supposed to (i.e. when you fail to signal).

If you set the DIS to the Assist screen you will see the indicators for the Lane Departure. When the system is on there are two parallel lines, one on each side of the car symbol. They are grey (right or left) if no lane boundary can be defined by the car, and white when a lane boundary is evident. If you force the car to cross a lane boundary with the indicator white (the car understands that you are crossing out of the lane) then the parallel line on that side turns red (you are drifting out of you lane). When that indicator turns red is when you should feel the vibration (unless the vibration is turned off in the MMI).

Hope that helps people test it.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for that but I suspect our A6 models/years are different.. mine is a Limited Edition A6 Allroad 3.0 TDI with MMIO touch and has a 2014 spec.

I have retested as you suggested and I can confirm there is NO vibration in any configuration...

I notice that others are also not feeling any vibration..

The Dealer and Audi Australia are investigating this...
Old 11-19-2013, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amcd61
Thanks for that but I suspect our A6 models/years are different.. mine is a Limited Edition A6 Allroad 3.0 TDI with MMIO touch and has a 2014 spec.

I have retested as you suggested and I can confirm there is NO vibration in any configuration...

I notice that others are also not feeling any vibration..

The Dealer and Audi Australia are investigating this...
We'll, perhaps I am just hitting gravel ever time I intentionally steer off the road