Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2014 Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2014 Steering Problem

Does anyone know if there were any changes made to the steering system for 2014. Could this year also be plagued by the steering issues of the 2013 model year? Did they ever officially release a fix for the problem?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the steering issues with the 2013?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by keithl
What are the steering issues with the 2013?
Start with this thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2844976
Old 06-15-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Go123
Does anyone know if there were any changes made to the steering system for 2014. Could this year also be plagued by the steering issues of the 2013 model year? Did they ever officially release a fix for the problem?
Since no one has received a 2014 yet, there is no way to know. Audi claims they are still working on it.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok so now I have read through most of these threads now and am seriously now considering passing on the A6 for now. We travel 900 miles to visit family and I share the driving with the girlfriend, if these were to happen to her she would freak out. To spend $65K on this class of car and have what could essentially be an unsafe condition at highway speeds has me concerned. I know all cars can have issues, and most have gone to electric steering, but my goodness that has the be engineered to be bullet proof this is a safety issue.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok so now I have read through most of these threads now and am seriously now considering passing on the A6 for now. We travel 900 miles to visit family and I share the driving with the girlfriend, if these were to happen to her she would freak out. To spend $65K on this class of car and have what could essentially be an unsafe condition at highway speeds has me concerned. I know all cars can have issues, and most have gone to electric steering, but my goodness that has the be engineered to be bullet proof this is a safety issue.
I am hoping that 2014 (3rd model year) that it is no longer an issue. The 2013 car I test drove did not have any issues that I could detect in the steering.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Ok so now I have read through most of these threads now and am seriously now considering passing on the A6 for now.
Keep in mind only a small percentage of AW owners have this issue and a smaller subset of those that do, experience a very mild case.
If this were widespread to the extent beyond the few that have a severe case of the steering problem, it would be all over the media, which of course, it isn't.

If you read the other thousands of posts from the C7 owners (A6, S6, A7, S7 which all share the same electronic steering system), you would see the vast majority of those owners love the car and don't experience anything close to the worst reports of this issue, if at all. As you said, no car is perfect but the C7s are darn close if the positive feedback here on AW and Audi's continuing sales growth of these models are any indication. My C7 A6 is far and away the best of the four Audis I've owned and come to think of it, the best car of 35 I've owned period. Not perfect, but almost.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Go123
I am hoping that 2014 (3rd model year) that it is no longer an issue. The 2013 car I test drove did not have any issues that I could detect in the steering.
I have test driven 3 or 4 different 13s and nothing felt wrong to me, as a matter of fact until I stumbled across this thread I thought the steering was fine for a car with electric steering. I have owned a few cars with electric steering now and it sucks at first, but I get used to it. Sme of the threads seem to indicate Audi may be testing some fixes, so hopefully they have made some improvements to the 14. I still may order the car as it is is one hot ride.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have test driven 3 or 4 different 13s and nothing felt wrong to me, as a matter of fact until I stumbled across this thread I thought the steering was fine for a car with electric steering. I have owned a few cars with electric steering now and it sucks at first, but I get used to it. Sme of the threads seem to indicate Audi may be testing some fixes, so hopefully they have made some improvements to the 14. I still may order the car as it is is one hot ride.
Oh boy. I am just about to close on a low mileage 2013 A6 that is half way across the country. I am not going to drive this car before I buy it, so this steering thread has me freaked out a little. It seems it is widespread and without any real pattern on packages, is that fair?

Some of you here will just be pleased I finally found a car to buy, and I am really excited about it, but now I am worried what I am getting even though it is a CPO.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Oh boy. I am just about to close on a low mileage 2013 A6 that is half way across the country. I am not going to drive this car before I buy it, so this steering thread has me freaked out a little. It seems it is widespread and without any real pattern on packages, is that fair?

Some of you here will just be pleased I finally found a car to buy, and I am really excited about it, but now I am worried what I am getting even though it is a CPO.
Even if you test drove it you may not be able to detect something that is intermittent and develops after several thousand miles.

Quick Reply: 2014 Steering Problem