Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6 License Plate Frame Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 A6 License Plate Frame Removal

Hi,

I just purchased a 2016 Audi A6 and would like to remove the front license plate frame bracket. Does anyone have a tutorial? What will it look like with the bracket removed?

Thank you
Old 06-13-2015, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sandaddiction
Hi,

I just purchased a 2016 Audi A6 and would like to remove the front license plate frame bracket. Does anyone have a tutorial? What will it look like with the bracket removed?

Thank you
The question arises what are you going to replace it with?? You have to remove two screws that attach the Audi stock license plate mounting bracket/frame to the two predrilled and rust protected screw holed on the truck lid of the A6. Note the two holes on the stock mounting plate are offset upward off center a bit and yet still the way oversized mounting plate extends a fair degree below a US license plate and license plate frames normal 12" by 6" dimension ( that is 12.25" by 6.s5" for the ID of a typical chrome or stainless steel license plate outer frame that we all see such that the license plate fits just snuggle within its inner dimensions

Not so with this black Audi mounting bracket and if you have a non-Black optic package then you will have a chrome decorative strip along the bottom edge of the trunk lip that the license mounting plate partially covers in the middle of the chrome strip.

There is an alternative mounting bracket that can be used to keep it hidden under the normal license plate and outer frame dimensions and thus raise it slightly above the top of the chrome strip.

I am goint to do that to mine as well when the next mounting bracket arrives and will send you the info and post it publicly here once the company releases the new designed mounting bracket to work just right with the A6 and universally with other Audis and other cars too.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I apologize for the confusion, I am referring to the front bumper license plate bracket that comes standard in California. I would like to remove the front bracket for a clean and elegant look. I don't know if there is anything necessary to remove or replace the bracket with.

Thank you

Originally Posted by Hulamau
The question arises what are you going to replace it with?? You have to remove two screws that attach the Audi stock license plate mounting bracket/frame to the two predrilled and rust protected screw holed on the truck lid of the A6. Note the two holes on the stock mounting plate are offset upward off center a bit and yet still the way oversized mounting plate extends a fair degree below a US license plate and license plate frames normal 12" by 6" dimension ( that is 12.25" by 6.s5" for the ID of a typical chrome or stainless steel license plate outer frame that we all see such that the license plate fits just snuggle within its inner dimensions

Not so with this black Audi mounting bracket and if you have a non-Black optic package then you will have a chrome decorative strip along the bottom edge of the trunk lip that the license mounting plate partially covers in the middle of the chrome strip.

There is an alternative mounting bracket that can be used to keep it hidden under the normal license plate and outer frame dimensions and thus raise it slightly above the top of the chrome strip.

I am goint to do that to mine as well when the next mounting bracket arrives and will send you the info and post it publicly here once the company releases the new designed mounting bracket to work just right with the A6 and universally with other Audis and other cars too.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi,

Thank you
If you just purchased it. The best and easiest thing to do first is to contact the dealer and see if they can swap the grill out with one that doesn't have the front plant mount. Many dealers are willing to do so. Just try. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I am referring to the front bumper license plate bracket that comes standard in California. I would like to remove the front bracket for a clean and elegant look. I don't know if there is anything necessary to remove or replace the bracket with.
Thank you
In New York State we have to have a front and a rear plate - it's the law. Actually I am so used to it I don't think it looks ugly.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inyoury
If you just purchased it. The best and easiest thing to do first is to contact the dealer and see if they can swap the grill out with one that doesn't have the front plant mount. Many dealers are willing to do so. Just try. Good luck.
Originally Posted by irenesbob
In New York State we have to have a front and a rear plate - it's the law. Actually I am so used to it I don't think it looks ugly.
My dealer swapped mine for me. I was fortunate that they had a car in stock without the mount.

You are in denial if you don't think it looks ugly
Old 06-22-2015, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for reference here is a front photo of my 16' A6 with the clean grill without any remnant front license plate frame or screw holds at all.

Front grill 2016 A6 without any license plate attachment hardware points.

Last edited by Hulamau; 06-22-2015 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6
My dealer swapped mine for me. I was fortunate that they had a car in stock without the mount.

You are in denial if you don't think it looks ugly
That's great to hear. That's a dealer you want to do business again with.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

The only problem would appear to be that you have an A6 grill, not an S6 grill
Old 01-20-2016, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ha, well, he has an A6, so that's the right grill. Any dealer that provides a license plate panel in states that don't require it is terrible!

Quick Reply: 2016 A6 License Plate Frame Removal