Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6 Sport Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 A6 Sport Suspension

Can't seem to locate this answer, what does the $300 sport suspension specifically get you? Diff springs? Upgraded dampers?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedKeen
Can't seem to locate this answer, what does the $300 sport suspension specifically get you? Diff springs? Upgraded dampers?
Where do you live? I cannot find such an 2016 A6 option for the US in either the order guide or on the online configurator. Sport suspension is part of the S Line sport Package but not a stand alone option so far as I can tell.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Where do you live? I cannot find such an 2016 A6 option for the US in either the order guide or on the online configurator. Sport suspension is part of the other S Line sport Package but not a stand alone option so far as I can tell.
I believe you can get just the sport suspension without the S-Line features in ROW. Like here in the U.S. it would include springs and shocks that are calibrated differently than the non-sport for a stiffer chassis. Also, the anti-roll bar is thicker to reduce body roll. Finally, the sport pkg includes a lowered body by about 7/10".
Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where do you live? I cannot find such an 2016 A6 option for the US in either the order guide or on the online configurator. Sport suspension is part of the S Line sport Package but not a stand alone option so far as I can tell.
I'm in Canada. Sport suspension is separate from S-line but you need S-Line to get it. My guess is it's lowering springs?
Old 07-10-2015, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedKeen
I'm in Canada. Sport suspension is separate from S-line but you need S-Line to get it. My guess is it's lowering springs?
I haven't taken a look but from what I feel I think they remove the spring and weld the axle to the frame
Old 07-10-2015, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
I haven't taken a look but from what I feel I think they remove the spring and weld the axle to the frame
Is it that seriously hard riding? I’m looking at 2016 A6’s and here in the US the sport suspension is part of the S Line Sport Pkg. I like the other parts of the pkg. (wheel, trim, sills and bumpers) but definitely do not want a harsh ride. Please elaborate and possibly save my aging butt a lot of grief. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have previously expounded on the suspension issues of my sport suspension but I will briefly describe my issues. Obviously, the 20 inch wheels compound the issues as do the Pirelli PZeros so I purchased 18 inch wheels with Pirelli P7's and I can categorically state that it's not the wheels. The 18's reduced the thump of concrete borders on the freeway but the suspension still exhibits bumps, undulations and oscillations that do not exist in my Acura MDX. The MDX is an SUV and the A6 is a luxury sport sedan and the vehicle that is capable of minor off-roading is more comfortable than a luxury sport sedan on a freeway!
I have tried to research the suspension by way of the spring dot codes and after-market systems but the general consensus is that by lowering the car then the ride is stiffer. I am not sure that the two are mutually exclusive but I am leaning toward the only solution being a variable system as is supplied to ROW. Bilstein market a variable system but I cannot find much info on it but I do know that their web site does not have a dealer listed within a 1000 miles of Los Angeles so I can understand why they haven't sold many.
Your butt will be the deciding factor for you so you will have to decide. One comparison would be to drive the A6 and then the S6 and evaluate the permanent harshness of the sport A6.
I don't remember the option fitting but if the sport gets you the ventilated seats then there is another issue. Audi makes numerous seats with numerous options but they still cannot make a seat that competes with other manufacturers. With an Audi and you want a comfortable seat then you have to give up ventilation. If you want a seat with thigh support then you have to buy an S6. The 2016 may change this as they have the option of a seat that may do most of what it should but they want about $3500 for a seat commensurate with the car that it is fitted to.
Due to the car costing $65K+ then it's a small investment to get a comfortable ride even if it costs a couple of grand. The seats, however, are a problem to solve. I think that the A6 nails the sports sedan part but to call it a luxury sport sedan is a misnomer. If you back side is big enough to absorb the pounding of the sport suspension then the sport seats are not wide enough to accommodate your butt. If your butt is narrow then it will fit in the seat but the bumps in the road will lift your butt off of the seat.
My car with 20's is a great handling car but if you want comfort then look elsewhere. If you can't drink a coffee without spilling it by just going down a freeway then there is no way the word luxury should ever be used.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the assessment. I am likely to stick to the non-S Line Sport Pkg. A6 and maybe get the stand alone 19" wheel/tire option (I like their look better than the ones that come with the S-Line anyway). My dealer recently has been giving out A4's as loaners (used to be Q5's) and the last time I got a 2015 A4 with the sport package. I found it rode much too harshly for my tastes: a lot of abrupt and noisy impacts with uneven road surfaces and tar strips. I guess the A6's sport suspension will be the same.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the assessment. I am likely to stick to the non-S Line Sport Pkg. A6 and maybe get the stand alone 19" wheel/tire option (I like their look better than the ones that come with the S-Line anyway). My dealer recently has been giving out A4's as loaners (used to be Q5's) and the last time I got a 2015 A4 with the sport package. I found it rode much too harshly for my tastes: a lot of abrupt and noisy impacts with uneven road surfaces and tar strips. I guess the A6's sport suspension will be the same.
Have the salesman balance a Big Gulp of Coke on his head and tell him to drive while you assess the ride. Maybe then he won't try and sell you the bone shaker version
Old 07-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DB22
I have previously expounded on the suspension issues of my sport suspension but I will briefly describe my issues. Obviously, the 20 inch wheels compound the issues as do the Pirelli PZeros so I purchased 18 inch wheels with Pirelli P7's and I can categorically state that it's not the wheels. The 18's reduced the thump of concrete borders on the freeway but the suspension still exhibits bumps, undulations and oscillations that do not exist in my Acura MDX. The MDX is an SUV and the A6 is a luxury sport sedan and the vehicle that is capable of minor off-roading is more comfortable than a luxury sport sedan on a freeway!
I have tried to research the suspension by way of the spring dot codes and after-market systems but the general consensus is that by lowering the car then the ride is stiffer. I am not sure that the two are mutually exclusive but I am leaning toward the only solution being a variable system as is supplied to ROW. Bilstein market a variable system but I cannot find much info on it but I do know that their web site does not have a dealer listed within a 1000 miles of Los Angeles so I can understand why they haven't sold many.
Your butt will be the deciding factor for you so you will have to decide. One comparison would be to drive the A6 and then the S6 and evaluate the permanent harshness of the sport A6.
I don't remember the option fitting but if the sport gets you the ventilated seats then there is another issue. Audi makes numerous seats with numerous options but they still cannot make a seat that competes with other manufacturers. With an Audi and you want a comfortable seat then you have to give up ventilation. If you want a seat with thigh support then you have to buy an S6. The 2016 may change this as they have the option of a seat that may do most of what it should but they want about $3500 for a seat commensurate with the car that it is fitted to.
Due to the car costing $65K+ then it's a small investment to get a comfortable ride even if it costs a couple of grand. The seats, however, are a problem to solve. I think that the A6 nails the sports sedan part but to call it a luxury sport sedan is a misnomer. If you back side is big enough to absorb the pounding of the sport suspension then the sport seats are not wide enough to accommodate your butt. If your butt is narrow then it will fit in the seat but the bumps in the road will lift your butt off of the seat.
My car with 20's is a great handling car but if you want comfort then look elsewhere. If you can't drink a coffee without spilling it by just going down a freeway then there is no way the word luxury should ever be used.
Is it really that bad? Maybe that's why they offer as a separate option in Canada. I do want the lowered stance if that's what the springs provide, rather factory than aftermarket (though aftermarket may be better quality). What other cars would you compare it to?

I have a 997.2 C4S, and in sport mode the dampers stiffen up and ride does get harsher but not jarring.

Quick Reply: 2016 A6 Sport Suspension