Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6 Sport Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

That's when people in the USA decided that they wanted the handling of EU cars. Then the EU importers softened the cars for the U.S. But the U.S. Competition caught up and the EU cars hardened up again to display their handling advantage.
Now we have worse roads in the U.S. With taught handling and the two don't mix well. The EU needs to be able to corner, the U.S. Needs to be able to cruise a boulevard.
Selectable, adjustable suspension is required and should be standard on the U.S. A6.

BTW. I have just swapped my 18 inch 245/45.18's for my original 235/35.20's, I figured it's cheaper than getting tweaked at the chiropractor! Now I'm ready to shake some bones when I take someone from the dealer for a demo ride.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
If they made one good seat instead of many bad ones it would be cheaper and better to the end user.
The infotainment system was designed with enormous capability and to access its features you have to select a category which deletes your ability to see or do the previous function. Just because I wish to view a map it should mean that I cannot see the radio. A lot of people have 2 monitors on their computers for a reason - its enables a quicker response to multiple functions.
It's been a while since I drove the 6, but can't you control the radio etc. through the steering wheel controls and the DIS? At least I can in the 5. I can control the phone, radio on the DIS while the MMI screen shows the map for example, or I can have turn-by-turn instructions in the DIS while the MMI shows the radio. That's a two monitor setup as you describe it. The virtual cockpit in the upcoming models takes this to the next level.

Also, at any point I can issue a voice command to perform an operation in a different area. For example I can have the map up and use voice command to call somebody or change the station.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-11-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The turn by turn is a 10% solution to the map on the MMI so I rarely view it. I usually listen to XM and I like to see the artists name so I have to switch away from the map, select radio, wait for the artist to download and then display. Then I need to go back to the map to check traffic but the song changed and I now have to repeat the events. I am constantly switching the DIS from lap timer, ACC, trip computer etc.
If I had a configurable gui like I had 20 years ago on a PC then I could drive as well as push buttons. Most high end cars display more information simultaneously than the Audi. Yes, the 2016 is progress, it is now only 15 years from where it should be instead of the 20 years on my 2014.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

There's something called information overload. I find Audi generally displays the right amount of information that one needs in order to focus on the task at hand, which is driving the damn car and not paying attention to what song is playing on the radio, but maybe that's just me. If the A6 doesn't suit your needs, why aren't you trading it in for something that does?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, gone are the days when pushing on the fender to check your shocks rebound because if you push that hard these days the fender will bend.
Thanks for that post - brought a big smile!
Old 07-11-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Selectable, adjustable suspension is required and should be standard on the U.S. A6.

BTW. I have just swapped my 18 inch 245/45.18's for my original 235/35.20's, I figured it's cheaper than getting tweaked at the chiropractor! Now I'm ready to shake some bones when I take someone from the dealer for a demo ride.
About adjustable suspension. I agree but so many Americans bitched ( and stil do) about ur-allroad suspensions requiring new bladders at 90k. Americans do not put up with wear items.

As for 20s, what tire are you using? My wife found 20 P Zeros undrive-able ( i was not fan as well) but she loves the Conti Extreme DW. With our multlink suspension, i find our Audi's very sensitive to different brands of tires. BMW 3 series guys love the new Michelin Super Sport, while many Audi guys do not. And vice versa on the Contis. we are lucky to have choices.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I am going to try driving both 2016 A6 (the only ones offered in P+ in the US) suspensions and then decide.

+3

Decided on 2014 TDI Prestige with 19” sports package after driving all available options, multiple times. Found that the ride with 19” sports package and Prestige seats more comfortable than 18” and non-ventilated seats (live in Cleveland, where the roads are far less than great). There is also something about the steering wheel that comes with the sports package that ‘feels’ better than base. As for the seats themselves (prestige or not), found BMW’s were more comfortable when shopping around. Like you said, try both out several times and think with your butt, not your head.

Comment on info display. One of the reasons I went with Audi (main reason being the TDI superiority to Mercedes and BMW’s diesel, the latter came only with no-flat tires) is that I prefer not to see any screen when driving routinely: going back and forth to work requires no navigation, nor do trips to see kids in college. Maybe I’m too old school where I study a map before any trip. As for radio stations, I have ~ 20 presets that are accessed by the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Since my neck still works, the back up camera is unnecessary. I like a ‘clean’ dash: the other makes do not allow you to hide the screen. Couldn’t imagine driving a Tesla, with the iPad on steroids distraction in the middle of the dash... Sorry, end of mini-rant.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Irenesbob,

Be sure to read the review, it is clear the reference to the air springs is just a typo or mistake. But the full ride description is of the very same fitted Prestige, S-line Sports 20" Drivers Assist '16 A6 as I have and each reviewer had the car from anywhere from days to a week or so each as a daily driver. More than enough time to get a good dose of its character when that is their job to understand.

Had they all, or any for that matter, reported a harsh or jarring ride that would raise a concern, but they all praised the ride in various terms and all three loved the car as is. the same feeling as I share as well for the same car.

And I cant imagine the dashboard as you found in the deal loaner or test car that sounded like it was going to break in half and a lot of crashing and banging noises. My car is the epitome of teutonic solidity and rigidity and structural soundness. It's also a very quiet and comfortable car as well.

I haven't found one loose screw or rattle of any sort so far in my extensive investigation so far inside and out and under the hood too as much as I can tell mucking around in there.

The title for the article is '2016 AUDI A6 : Why look elsewhere?' so that about conveys their three collective opinions in a nutshell.

Hope that helps in your deliberations.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
There's something called information overload. I find Audi generally displays the right amount of information that one needs in order to focus on the task at hand, which is driving the damn car and not paying attention to what song is playing on the radio, but maybe that's just me. If the A6 doesn't suit your needs, why aren't you trading it in for something that does?
I like information and will never subscribe to the speedometer and idiot lights mentality. If the information is available then why not display it? You shouldn't have to push buttons when a few milliseconds of a glance with the eyes should suffice, after all it is a car that should be driven safely. I have not expounded on the items in the A6 that I like so a suggestion of a trade in is a separate subject. Besides, I bought the A6 because of its features, toys and performance, some of my complaints relate to how to better implement and integrate them.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
About adjustable suspension. I agree but so many Americans bitched ( and stil do) about ur-allroad suspensions requiring new bladders at 90k. Americans do not put up with wear items.

As for 20s, what tire are you using? My wife found 20 P Zeros undrive-able ( i was not fan as well) but she loves the Conti Extreme DW. With our multlink suspension, i find our Audi's very sensitive to different brands of tires. BMW 3 series guys love the new Michelin Super Sport, while many Audi guys do not. And vice versa on the Contis. we are lucky to have choices.
While my P Zeros are performing okay with still under 1,000 miles on them I am looking forward to slapping the Conti DWS-06 on them come early November and they may well just stay .. or if I miss het summer rubber most of the year I'll likely spring for the ExtremeDW 20s come late March.

Your statement is just what all the Audi sales and/or service managers I spoke too since this past February at different dealerships from San Diego/La Jolla area, San Fran and Marin County, Amsterdam, Brussels, Honolulu and Phoenix (Ive been on the move a lot lately) and one by phone from a main Denver Audi dealership, when I asked each and everyone of them about this same 20" wheel and A6 sports suspension issue that had me most concerned .. thanks again DB22 (Ha just kidding! :-)

Anyway, the consensus opinion is that tires make the single biggest difference in the A6 ride over wheel diameter!

And to a person, they said that while there are some regions ( the usual pot hole laden suspects) where the 19" or even 18" might be a better choice depending on your preferences, even this is not so much a ride issue as it is a protection issue against too easily damaging the valuable rims and tires which of course is easier to do with low profiles and such that require a bit more thought and regular air filling discipline.

I bought the optional tire and wheel insurance too just for peace of mind.

But time after time these many folks I asked who know hte cars well said its mostly in the tire choice that you can get the best blend of performance and comfort with the 20".

The Denver rep said he typically recommends the 19" but only because of their frequent heavy snows there, but he promised me that if I were blind folded and drove the 20" followed by the 19" sports suspension cars I would barely be able to tell a difference at all and most often the person cant tell.

But if you switch tires that is often another story. Nearly every one of them said the Conti Extreme DW and DWS were a great fit for the A6 20" and 19" (something that I have found true too on out other Audis) A few like the Michelin Pilot SS summer tires but not many were trilled by the Michelin AS3 tires due to too much noise and faster tread wear.

Anyway, I digress, but DB22 try to experiment some with Contis if you have not and see if that helps some too. Take a look at the photos of the clear brand new S-line Sports suspension photos I posted in the thread when I took delivery of my car and it was up on the hydraulic lift and see if the components you can see in those pics look just like yours as well? I know they have quite beefy anti-roll or torsion bars both front and back. I have quite a few more pixs of the undercarriage and suspension too if interested by PM?

Quick Reply: 2016 A6 Sport Suspension