Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6 Sport Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
That's when people in the USA decided that they wanted the handling of EU cars. Then the EU importers softened the cars for the U.S. But the U.S. Competition caught up and the EU cars hardened up again to display their handling advantage.
Now we have worse roads in the U.S. With taught handling and the two don't mix well. The EU needs to be able to corner, the U.S. Needs to be able to cruise a boulevard.
Selectable, adjustable suspension is required and should be standard on the U.S. A6.

BTW. I have just swapped my 18 inch 245/45.18's for my original 235/35.20's, I figured it's cheaper than getting tweaked at the chiropractor! Now I'm ready to shake some bones when I take someone from the dealer for a demo ride.
I do agree DB22 that adjustable suspension should be at least an option and preferably standard from A4/A3 class on up to make for a universally wonderful experience for all drivers in most all scenarios (though you can never please everyone).. the new B9 A4 is moving toward that and the S3 has it too with the magnetic damper option.

No doubt the soon to arrive in two years C8 A6s will come with this option as stock and hopefully the torque vectoring and dynamic all wheel steering at least as other options as well .. I will definitely tick all of those check boxes on my next likely C8 A6 or S6 in 3.5 years when it's roll over time to the Marc Licthe series car.

IN the meantime I am happy as a clam with this one and am taking it down next week to Scottsdale to get the 3M Crystalline 70% on the front windshield and a two day work over on the still new car as they prep the finish and do a full OPticoat-Pro-PLus two coat paint protection ceramic top coat over the full car including my front half full covered Xpel Ultimate wrap as well.

The OpticoatPRo- Plus installer is very meticulous and after a 4 to 7 hour car prep (even for such a new car) he puts the Opticoat Pro layer on first then lets if cure overnight in a dust free space and then lays on the next coat with of the 'PLus" slippery full pop shine' top coat finish and lets it cure for at least 3 hours before I drive it off.

He is taking all four wheels off and cleaning off any brake dust from full wheel cylinders and brake caliper covers (though there is no brake dust now on the wheels or brakes and these new slick coated and painted 20" wheels don't hold brake dust easily as it is) and then coats them all with the two step Opti-coat process, and has the gear to reset the wheels to the same factory torque recommendations as well. Ive seen the wheels thus treated and they really pop! Should simplify maintenance the next 3.5 years.

Last edited by Hulamau; 07-11-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Hulamau, you sure are a fanatic at looks, cleaning and upkeep. You car looks very impressive and almost too clean to drive! After one drive from home to work and back my car is very dusty and I must say, my midnight blue is about as difficult to keep clean as a black car.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Long thread but here goes with my 10 cents....
A few clarifications...The adjustable suspension feature is not available for the A6/A7 in the U.S. It is available in the U.S. though on the S6/S7,A8 and all B8 series, usually as part of the ADS package. It's not clear to me why Audi left it out on the A6 and A7 other than maybe trying to hit some price points. Hopefully, they will add it in for the U.S. A6 in the next C7 series. There's even discussion of Audi incorporating a front camera that will examine the road in front and adjust the suspension too match it. That's a very interesting approach.

As to the sport suspension, I have it with 19" wheel. I feel that wheel size in conjunction with the lowered sport suspension is a great compromise between handing and ride (not to mention the lowered stance and lesser fender gap provides a more aggressive look). The tires and tire pressures make a big difference as well. I'm about to replace my tires this summer with the new Conti DWS 06 which, if the reviews are accurate, will provide an improvement in ride comfort while maintaining or exceeding the handling/cornering ability of my Bridgestone RE970AS.

I didn't want a couch on wheels or a jarring go-kart but I feel that with the combo of 19" wheels and the right tires, I find the A6 with the sport suspension gives the best in ride vs. handling performance. I live in the NE U.S. where winters take their toll on our roads yet I wouldn't hesitate to order the sport suspension again with my next A6.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I like information and will never subscribe to the speedometer and idiot lights mentality. If the information is available then why not display it? You shouldn't have to push buttons when a few milliseconds of a glance with the eyes should suffice, after all it is a car that should be driven safely. I have not expounded on the items in the A6 that I like so a suggestion of a trade in is a separate subject. Besides, I bought the A6 because of its features, toys and performance, some of my complaints relate to how to better implement and integrate them.
Well, I guess we have different approaches. I subscribe to displaying information that's relevant to the current situation and not clutter up the dash with all the possible information that is there. IMO, there is nothing wrong with having to click something to see the details or information that's only needed occasionally. For example, I'm not sure why we still have a coolant temp gauge on the dash at all times. If the temp is within normal range, I don't need to see the gauge. Show me the gauge if the temp is outside of normal operating temperature or rising abnormally, that's when it's relevant. To each their own I guess. I'm one of those people that have a clean desktop on their computers instead of cluttered with crap that's rarely used and close applications and windows that I'm not using for the current task.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Well, I guess we have different approaches. I subscribe to displaying information that's relevant to the current situation and not clutter up the dash with all the possible information that is there. IMO, there is nothing wrong with having to click something to see the details or information that's only needed occasionally. For example, I'm not sure why we still have a coolant temp gauge on the dash at all times. If the temp is within normal range, I don't need to see the gauge. Show me the gauge if the temp is outside of normal operating temperature or rising abnormally, that's when it's relevant. To each their own I guess. I'm one of those people that have a clean desktop on their computers instead of cluttered with crap that's rarely used and close applications and windows that I'm not using for the current task.
When you fly a 747 do you want to toggle through 4 gauges for each engine or do you prefer to glance at all 4 gauges in milliseconds? I see your point but I'm more for the efficiency pov as I prefer my eyes on the road as much as possible and not fiddling with ***** to select my source of information.
I monitor my temperature when I drive by glancing at the gauge periodically, particularly in hot weather or pushing up big hills. I have a mental note of previous occasions and know when I'm within those limits. I don't want my gauge to pop up when it's too late. That was the problem with idiot lights, they came on when it's too late and you never get a history of performance.
I also prefer the active TPMS system and I check the pressures frequently, with the A6 it is the idiot light approach.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my dotage I moved from my second A4 with sports suspension to a 2016 A6 with 18" standard suspension. I can report the standard suspension is very well controlled. I am in metro NYC and the roads and winters have been awful. I don't recommend the ultra low profile tires for my area. If I wanted better handling, summer tires would be a step up from the OEM all seasons.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went ahead and ordered the TDI with S-line and Sport Suspension yesterday. Will find out in a few months what it's like. I suspect it'll be just fine.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just a side observation . In our last 5 Audi's I've never once observed the coolant gauge rise above the normal middle tick noted that each car invariably rises too after engine warm up.

Not one time did any of these cars rise above that middle point so I see SuperSwiss' point that we could do away with that always prominently displayed gauge unless the temp is rising too fast or exceeds the normal average in which case it could dynamically appear in the DIS.

And that includes during brutally hot Arizona summers in the last 3 cars.... But it has never budged one hair above the mid point of the temp gauge in all 5 Audi's! They seem to have really nailed the cooling system design in my experience.

Last edited by Hulamau; 07-12-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SpeedKeen
I went ahead and ordered the TDI with S-line and Sport Suspension yesterday. Will find out in a few months what it's like. I suspect it'll be just fine.
You'll be happy as a clam too Speedkeen ... With a moniker like that you will love the flat grip in the corners at speed and the comfort still over bumps. I sometimes hit the large 15mph speed bump not far from our house ( when nobody else is around at 3 to 4 times that speed or higher just checking out the suspension jolt factor and it's not a jarring experience at all and that is with my 20" wheels.

Looking at the photos of earlier C7 A6 you can see on the Stasis tuning company website where you can download the 12 page instructions for a do-it-yourself with their C7 A6 suspension up-grade kit Installation instructions and compare those undercarriage shots there of the suspension details for the 2011+ cars versus my refreshed '16 Sports 20" A6 (I don't know if we should call it 2016 'C7.5' or not with the various changes inside and out as well as mechanical updates too??) but their ARE notable differnces in the overall suspension layout and execution in my car and the photos shown in the Stasis suspension upgrade instructions.

Even my anti-roll bar looks thicker than the one shown on regular C7 A6 they say is representative of all C7 2011+ models.. Mine does have the S line sports suspension though so perhaps those are the differnces Im seeing, however the big black interconnecting peice with the large round damping joint in the middle width of that large interconnected peice between the left and right rear suspensions looks very different as do other a number of other suspension parts in my car vs the Stasis shots ... Not to mention many other overall full undercarriage layout in which you can see big changes in components and layout!

Am surprised to find such variance from the new refreshed model and these photos of the C7 A6 Stasis posted in the Stasis installation instructions.

It's definitely not a pure apples to apples comparison.

Last edited by Hulamau; 07-12-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedKeen
You made an outstanding choice! You are going to love the car and the TDI.

Quick Reply: 2016 A6 Sport Suspension