Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6 Sport Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulamau
Just a side observation . In our last 5 Audi's I've never once observed the coolant gauge rise above the normal middle tick noted that each car invariably rises too after engine warm up.

Not one time did any of these cars rise above that middle point so I see SuperSwiss' point that we could do away with that always prominently displayed gauge unless the temp is rising too fast or exceeds the normal average in which case it could dynamically appear in the DIS.

And that includes during brutally hot Arizona summers in the last 3 cars.... But it has never budged one hair above the mid point of the temp gauge in all 5 Audi's! They seem to have really nailed the cooling system design in my experience.
Yes the temp gauge is crude and mine has never been anything but 4 bars but the temp displayed in the Lap timer can be anything from 175 to 220 and the same 4 bars stay on the gauge. The speedometer and tach utilize 65% of the whole pod displaying 5% of the information available. There are many people who don't want all of the information but I do, to satisfy more people a configurable pod display is the way forward. I think Audi are working towards it (A3) but they have a long way to go to allow full flexibility.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrels41
In my dotage I moved from my second A4 with sports suspension to a 2016 A6 with 18" standard suspension. I can report the standard suspension is very well controlled. I am in metro NYC and the roads and winters have been awful. I don't recommend the ultra low profile tires for my area. If I wanted better handling, summer tires would be a step up from the OEM all seasons.
This sounds like a comment I will take into account. Last fall I moved up from Eastchester to near Rhinebeck but still take trips to Westchester and Manhattan. I believe our driving experiences may be similar.
I am curious, how was the A4 with sport suspension compared to the A6 in terms or impact harshness, not necessarily vertical movement?
Old 07-12-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Yes the temp gauge is crude and mine has never been anything but 4 bars but the temp displayed in the Lap timer can be anything from 175 to 220 and the same 4 bars stay on the gauge. The speedometer and tach utilize 65% of the whole pod displaying 5% of the information available. There are many people who don't want all of the information but I do, to satisfy more people a configurable pod display is the way forward. I think Audi are working towards it (A3) but they have a long way to go to allow full flexibility.
The temp in the lap timer is the oil temperature and not the coolant temperature. The only time you would want to constantly see the oil temperature is on the track, hence it is prominently displayed in the lap timer. Outside of the track one might take a peek after cold start to know when it has reached normal operating temp (140F/60C) before redlining the engine, but once normal operating temp has been reached there is no point in seeing the oil temperature unless you are driving the car really hard on the track.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Well, I guess we have different approaches. I subscribe to displaying information that's relevant to the current situation and not clutter up the dash with all the possible information that is there. IMO, there is nothing wrong with having to click something to see the details or information that's only needed occasionally. For example, I'm not sure why we still have a coolant temp gauge on the dash at all times. If the temp is within normal range, I don't need to see the gauge. Show me the gauge if the temp is outside of normal operating temperature or rising abnormally, that's when it's relevant. To each their own I guess. I'm one of those people that have a clean desktop on their computers instead of cluttered with crap that's rarely used and close applications and windows that I'm not using for the current task.
Very well said
Old 07-12-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulamau
Just a side observation . In our last 5 Audi's I've never once observed the coolant gauge rise above the normal middle tick noted that each car invariably rises too after engine warm up.

And that includes during brutally hot Arizona summers in the last 3 cars.... But it has never budged one hair above the mid point of the temp gauge in all 5 Audi's! They seem to have really nailed the cooling system design in my experience.
I have been driving Audi's for the last 10 years, and similar to Hulamau, I have never had the temperature gauge read above the midway point.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The temp in the lap timer is the oil temperature and not the coolant temperature. The only time you would want to constantly see the oil temperature is on the track, hence it is prominently displayed in the lap timer. Outside of the track one might take a peek after cold start to know when it has reached normal operating temp (140F/60C) before redlining the engine, but once normal operating temp has been reached there is no point in seeing the oil temperature unless you are driving the car really hard on the track.
If I'm on a track, I will have someone else do my lap times, I will be driving.
The oil temp is more indicative of the engine temp than the coolant temp as it is more consistent with changes. The coolant temp bars are 50 degrees each which is close to idiot light resolution and won't move to the next bar until it's way too late.
Another analogy is the " click to exit" on a computer and when you click on it, it will then ask you if you are sure. I don't like two answers where one will do just as I don't like having to press a button to see some information that could easily be displayed all of the time.
Have ever controlled 3 computers where you have to keep switching the KVM to each host? I prefer 3 displays, 3 kb's and 3 mice. I know some people prefer to switch between them but I will win the operational efficiency battle but yes it's more devices and more readily available information which some people find intimidating.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
...more readily available information which some people find intimidating.
Never thought of "intimidating" - just plain annoying would be my take in terms of TMI.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
This sounds like a comment I will take into account. Last fall I moved up from Eastchester to near Rhinebeck but still take trips to Westchester and Manhattan. I believe our driving experiences may be similar.
I am curious, how was the A4 with sport suspension compared to the A6 in terms or impact harshness, not necessarily vertical movement?
I'll take this one with a shortish answer that might shed some light. I went from a non-sport '09 A4 3.2 to the '13 A6 3.T with sport. To me it felt like the ride between the two was comparable. Even the handling was close although the A6 is bigger and heavier. I drove an A4 B8 with sport as a loaner and felt it was on the harsh side whereas the A6 sport seems better mannered. Which makes sense as you determine the market segments the two cars have been designed to reach.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Never thought of "intimidating" - just plain annoying would be my take in terms of TMI.
Agreed. Intimidation has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with organizing the relevant information. There's a whole occupation that deals with this. They are called Information Architects. Human beings are more efficient at making decisions if the relevant information is organized properly. We are talking about driving an A6 here and not flying a fighter jet or a 747. The chance of overheating a properly maintained A6 with normal driving is about zero, even going up a mountain or driving in places such as Arizona. Perhaps if you are towing a heavy trailer. Why somebody would keep themselves busy going back and forward between the lap timer to see the oil temperature or even wanted to see the oil temperature at all times in the year 2015 is beyond me. I own an RS5 and regularly go beat the crap out of it on empty mountain and canyon roads and I don't even have the need to constantly check the oil temperature. Anyway, I think we've exhausted this off topic rant.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Yup,. Time to get back to the Sport suspension.

Quick Reply: 2016 A6 Sport Suspension