Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 2016 gps issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

This thread is starting to be reminiscent of the Gulliver's Travels story where two island kingdoms went to war over which end of an egg should be cracked open first - the narrow end or the wide end. The shortest route or the fastest route.

Do we have any takers for the "Mixed" route and does anyone even know what that is? A grand prize of a 2016 R8 goes to the first person to accurately explain how the Mixed route works. (Note: The grand prize winner will be determined and awarded at the sole discretion of the judges, that being me).
Old 08-31-2015, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Leasing is fine for me. I just set a goal to stay within the mileage and expenditure limits set at the outset of the lease and I am fine with that. Perhaps you mean that you would find such steps as I take to stay in those limits very annoying (even dumb - lol), and that’s fine, we are all different.
I did not mean to and don’t think I did say that I use NAV to plot scenic trips as I go. I was just responding to your comment "I'm curious, under what circumstances would you ever choose shortest route if the shortest route is not necessarily the fastest route." I did not see that comment as relating soley to the use of NAV; if that is what you meant, then I misunderstood. My usual use of NAV is primarily as a confirmation of my planned route that usually comes from experience and perhaps a brief review of an online map. I use the NAV to see if I am staying up with the planned ETA, etc. Seldom (except in new places) do I use it to tell me what roads to take, when to exit, etc. Most pf the time I keep the NAV lady's volume at the minimum setting and just check the screen now and again to see if the ETA has changed or if there is a traffic warning. Again, we’re all different and, as my posts here indicate, I have a less than typical interest in a lot of the technology and "bells & whistles" our cars offer.
Yeah, I was asking the question specifically as it pertains to the shortest route option in the nav when using it to guide you to a specific destination, not in general. If you know the route already and just use the nav to keep you updated on your ETA and traffic situation, that's different. I do that to on a regular basis and in those cases I just turn off voice guidance using the "voice guidance off" voice command, so it doesn't keep nagging me if I take slightly different turns than the nav thinks is the fastest route.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As to your ETA discrepancies, that is strange. My MMI is always more conservative than Google or Apple Map on my phone, it's never that far off unless there is traffic being reported on the MMI but not on the phone apps. Finally, the MMI nav does not provide a "no U turns" option (like my Garmin) which would avoid it all together.
This is not my experience. I have alerts on my phone where Google tells me when to leave and 9 out of 10 times I'll be there 5 min before my appt time.

The MMI is usually 10-15 min "quicker" than what Google maps (alerts on my phone) predicts even with varying traffic conditions. They are both in the ballpark, however, the MMI usually underestimates.

I can generally count on Google being correct, I cannot say this at all for what the MMI says. The MMI usually is overly optimistic by 5 - 10 min.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

This thread is starting to be reminiscent of the Gulliver's Travels story where two island kingdoms went to war over which end of an egg should be cracked open first - the narrow end or the wide end. The shortest route or the fastest route.

Do we have any takers for the "Mixed" route and does anyone even know what that is? A grand prize of a 2016 R8 goes to the first person to accurately explain how the Mixed route works. (Note: The grand prize winner will be determined and awarded at the sole discretion of the judges, that being me).
The mixed route is when one’s mother-in-law is along for the ride and you want to get there quickly, but not having to go so fast that she starts nagging. At such times the scenic route may just lead to too much talk about the “pretty cows” and things like that, but the use of NAV will only lead to her saying “who is that woman and what is she saying.” The “mixed” part is when you “forget” her at the service area, floor the car and go wherever the hell you please with the radio blasting away so you don’t hear the cellphone ringing.
This is not a contest entry (lol) just my take on life I guess! An R8 is too showy for me anyway.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
The mixed route is when one’s mother-in-law is along for the ride and you want to get there quickly, but not having to go so fast that she starts nagging. At such times the scenic route may just lead to too much talk about the “pretty cows” and things like that, but the use of NAV will only lead to her saying “who is that woman and what is she saying.” The “mixed” part is when you “forget” her at the service area, floor the car and go wherever the hell you please with the radio blasting away so you don’t hear the cellphone ringing.
This is not a contest entry (lol) just my take on life I guess! An R8 is too showy for me anyway.
That's a reasonable description of it's purpose but still doesn't explain how it actually determines a route. For example, does it take into account how long you've been married, age of the mother in law, nag quotient, etc.? What if there are no service areas (less ikely since a portion of the trip will be scenic rather than on an interstate)? What would the reaction be with the wife? Would she require you turn around at the next exit to go back and retrieve the mother in law and how would that play into the total route estimated time of arrival? Too many questions and not enough answers.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That's a reasonable description of it's purpose but still doesn't explain how it actually determines a route. For example, does it take into account how long you've been married, age of the mother in law, nag quotient, etc.? What if there are no service areas (less ikely since a portion of the trip will be scenic rather than on an interstate)? What would the reaction be with the wife? Would she require you turn around at the next exit to go back and retrieve the mother in law and how would that play into the total route estimated time of arrival? Too many questions and not enough answers.
Thanks guys for all this insight. Great feedback. As for the mother-in-law, GPS mode shouldn't be an issue for her while she's relaxing in the trunk 😁.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whatever16
Well, I just spoke to Audi support and after some research, they said that route options has been removed from MY2016 and it automatically defaults to fastest route. This is very disappointing in that this is my first Audi and this is a major issue. I drive all over and having a navigation system that is sub-par on such a car that touts the latest technology is not good. I use nav systems on all types of vehicles and this one is on the bottom of the list.
Not sure if I have any recourse but thanks for the advice.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue, but my 2016 has route options available. Select "Display Alternative Routes" (pic 1), and it shows three routes (pic 2)... Option 1 appears to be the fastest (time); Option 2 fastest (road speed); Option 3 is shortest (distance).

What I can't find is a way to enable the MMI to auto-reroute based on traffic vs. selecting "Avoid Traffic," but this is pretty minor... and I can see why in some cases it's better to allow the driver to select when to reroute.
Attached Images   
Old 09-07-2015, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gtidriver
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue, but my 2016 has route options available. Select "Display Alternative Routes" (pic 1), and it shows three routes (pic 2)... Option 1 appears to be the fastest (time); Option 2 fastest (road speed); Option 3 is shortest (distance).
That's a different set of options that has always been available with Nav Plus. It''s for selecting alternate routes, not necessarily the fastest or shortest. What is being discussed here is separate set of options that disappeared from MY2016 for the nav to automatically determine the "Shortest", "Fastest", or "Auto" routing, now apparently defaulting to Fastest only.

In my 2013 A6, there is an option in Nav>Settings>Auto rerouting (traffic). I never use it because Sirius traffic is only about 50% relaible in my area. On a good day.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a different set of options that has always been available with Nav Plus. It''s for selecting alternate routes, not necessarily the fastest or shortest. What is being discussed here is separate set of options that disappeared from MY2016 for the nav to automatically determine the "Shortest", "Fastest", or "Auto" routing, now apparently defaulting to Fastest only.
Oh, that's interesting. So, pre-2016, there were two sets of options -- what I show in the pictures, PLUS "Shortest," "Fastest," or "Auto?" Did all of those options display different routes?

What's shown on the 2016 seems adequate, and was similar to my 2012 535 options.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
This is not my experience. I have alerts on my phone where Google tells me when to leave and 9 out of 10 times I'll be there 5 min before my appt time.

The MMI is usually 10-15 min "quicker" than what Google maps (alerts on my phone) predicts even with varying traffic conditions. They are both in the ballpark, however, the MMI usually underestimates.

I can generally count on Google being correct, I cannot say this at all for what the MMI says. The MMI usually is overly optimistic by 5 - 10 min.
Thought it might be worth a quick note as I just completed a 250 miles road trip over Labor Day. We were leaving home a little after 4PM and most of the journey involved driving up on the Pacific Coast Highway. The speed limit on the PCH is mostly 55 mph, but you can count yourself very lucky if you get close to that. The PCH is riddled with drivers doing 10-20 mph below the speed limit, seemingly never having driven on a road with curves. Anyway, when we left, the MMI had us arriving at 8:15 PM. This was a 4 hour estimate for a roughly 120 miles drive to our destination. It shouldn't take that long given the speed limit and btw, Google Maps said it should take about 3 hours, but the MMI clearly knew that the average speed on the PCH is nowhere near 55 mph. We were planning to have dinner at the one good restaurant in town where we were heading. This was a remote area and the restaurant closed at 8:30 PM, with pretty much no other options around, so if we didn't make it we would have gone hungry for the night after a long drive. My wife wouldn't have been happy to say the least.

As we were driving, it re-routed me around slow traffic on US-101 before we got on the PCH, cutting the ETA down to about 7:55 PM. I called the restaurant to ensure that if we arrived by 8PM, that the kitchen would still be open and they assured me that we would be fed. The ETA kept bouncing around 8PM as I was stuck behind RVs etc. on the PCH, but never later than about 8:05PM, so I was clearly optimistic that we would make it. For the last 30 miles or so I was able to get past most of the slow drivers and pick up speed. The ETA was gradually reducing and we finally arrived at the restaurant at 7:50 PM.

So, long story short, I can't complain about the system. It seems to work as advertised and Sirius Traffic at least in my area is mostly accurate. The ETA takes the current traffic situation into account and constantly adjusts. This is the older MMI 3G+ running the latest firmware and updated map database. I was always under the impression that the ETA is pretty much on the dot, but this weekend proved that it really is on the dot even on a 100+ miles road trip on mostly 2-lane highways with very little opportunities to pass and make up time.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-07-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: A6 2016 gps issues