Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 3.0T Quattro vs 535ixdrive

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I came from a 2006 750i Bimmer and miss it. It all depends if you've owned a BMW or not. If not, the Audi is an excellent car with all the gadgets and the quattro system.

If you've owned a BMW, there's no comparison. The BMW feels much much much tighter, if anyone is being honest. If not, they'll tell you the Audi is tighter, but it's not. Really.

I have the 2012 3.0 Prestige. The car is very light and doesn't feel solid like a BMW, obviously because of the aluminum body. It feels more like a Honda unfortunately. The seats are crap too. The acceleration on the Audi is much better than the 535, no question. but I'd give that up for the driveability of a bimmer any day.

Look, you can't go wrong with either. The Audi is a great car in all respects, but it just isn't a BMW, period. It all depends on what you want. If you want a driver's car, you buy a BMW. If you want a fairly fun car, very responsive, but without the creature comforts and solid feel, get the Audi. If you don't care about any of this, get a Lexus
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WannaS6
Well, I came from a 2006 750i Bimmer and miss it. It all depends if you've owned a BMW or not. If not, the Audi is an excellent car with all the gadgets and the quattro system.

If you've owned a BMW, there's no comparison. The BMW feels much much much tighter, if anyone is being honest. If not, they'll tell you the Audi is tighter, but it's not. Really.

I have the 2012 3.0 Prestige. The car is very light and doesn't feel solid like a BMW, obviously because of the aluminum body. It feels more like a Honda unfortunately. The seats are crap too. The acceleration on the Audi is much better than the 535, no question. but I'd give that up for the driveability of a bimmer any day.

Look, you can't go wrong with either. The Audi is a great car in all respects, but it just isn't a BMW, period. It all depends on what you want. If you want a driver's car, you buy a BMW. If you want a fairly fun car, very responsive, but without the creature comforts and solid feel, get the Audi. If you don't care about any of this, get a Lexus
LOL...I must qualify your last statement...If you are over 65+ then it's definitely a Lexus. Old people just love that car...
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned Mercedes, Audis and BMWs (among some other brands) my brother has had several BMWs, a friend of mine has a 535 with a manual gearbox (not that typical) and honestly the Audi is way superior even in all aspects, it is sexier, drives better (besides the steering oddity)

The only car that I drove lately than handled better than mine was the Panamera, but is way more expensive and for that money I would get another Audi.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTires

BMW advantages:
Tilt-down mirror when backing up lets you see the curb easily
Key-fob opens windows and sunroof remotely
Power folding mirrors are standard and will open automatically when you start driving
Sport seats are awesome (but A6 seats are surprisingly comfy too)
Maintenance included for 4 yrs.
My mirrors tilt down when in reverse
My key fob opens windows and sunroof remotely
My mirrors fold/unfold as well
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by feralc
My mirrors tilt down when in reverse
My key fob opens windows and sunroof remotely
My mirrors fold/unfold as well
Hmmm... Maybe it's an A7 thing to tilt down the mirrors in reverse. My 2012 A6 P+ doesn't do that. Also I cannot open windows/sunroof remotely. Does anyone know if it's an A7 thing or is there a setting on A6 to do that?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WannaS6
I still own a 3-series BMW. It's an awesome driver's car. A true ultimate driving machine. But, it's MUCH smaller than A6, so the comparison is not fair. I would not expect A6 to behave like a 3-series BMW. But, when compared to the CURRENT 5-er, the A6 tops it in steering feel. BMW really screwed up the current 5-er when it comes to the steering feel. So, I went with A6.

I am not sure how the 7-series can be called a sporty driver's car, given its size. My friend owned 3, 5 and 7-series BMWs and while he loved the 7, he admitted it's no match to 3-series in terms of dynamics.

If I was looking for a small car, it would be 3-series. If someone's looking for a mid-size luxury sedan, currently A6 is tops in my opinion.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmmm... Maybe it's an A7 thing to tilt down the mirrors in reverse. My 2012 A6 P+ doesn't do that. Also I cannot open windows/sunroof remotely. Does anyone know if it's an A7 thing or is there a setting on A6 to do that?
I think it can be accomplished with a VAG com
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by psychodo
I think it can be accomplished with a VAG com
Where can I learn more about VAG com? Doing a search here yielded too many extraneous results. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Where can I learn more about VAG com? Doing a search here yielded too many extraneous results. Thanks.
http://www.vagcom.org/what-is-vcds/

I've never used it but many here have. I bet someone can give better info than I can.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sideview tilt shouldn't require any modifications. My 2012 A6 Premium Plus has it, you just have to configure it. I just did it, but I can't remember exactly how... something about putting it in reverse and tilting it to where you want it to go, and then putting it in drive and resetting it. Obviously, this isn't going to be behavior you want all the time, so any time you want it to go down just move the mirror selector to the right mirror and it will go down automatically.

You do need VAG-COM for the windows/sunroof.

Quick Reply: A6 3.0T Quattro vs 535ixdrive