Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 3.0T Quattro vs 535ixdrive

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
Hmmm... Maybe it's an A7 thing to tilt down the mirrors in reverse. My 2012 A6 P+ doesn't do that. Also I cannot open windows/sunroof remotely. Does anyone know if it's an A7 thing or is there a setting on A6 to do that?
In A6 only the passenger side mirror tilts down. For that you need to keep the mirror setting **** positioned on the right mirror. It tilts down when car is put into reverse and goes back up to the original setting when in Drive and certain speed is achieved (5mph??) which also auto locks the doors.

Remote open and close of windows/sunroof is only achieved via VAG-COM.
I wonder why would Audi not provide this simple but convenient feature as a standard, especially since its just software driven. Can't be a cost angle. Maybe its a "marketing" angle that increase the 'mod' appeal of the cars. Really beats me.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is pretty weird!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This forum is awesome! Thanks for a tilt-down tip. The dealer is useless. I asked them and he said the mirrors don't automatically tilt-down in reverse.

The dealers know nothing about the cars they sell. I found it time and again. They are just glorified paper clerks to fill out the agreement of sale.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I still own a 3-series BMW. It's an awesome driver's car. A true ultimate driving machine. But, it's MUCH smaller than A6, so the comparison is not fair. I would not expect A6 to behave like a 3-series BMW. But, when compared to the CURRENT 5-er, the A6 tops it in steering feel. BMW really screwed up the current 5-er when it comes to the steering feel. So, I went with A6.

I am not sure how the 7-series can be called a sporty driver's car, given its size. My friend owned 3, 5 and 7-series BMWs and while he loved the 7, he admitted it's no match to 3-series in terms of dynamics.

If I was looking for a small car, it would be 3-series. If someone's looking for a mid-size luxury sedan, currently A6 is tops in my opinion.
I agre - if you want a smaller vehicle the 3 series tops the A-4. But in the midsize category, the A-6 drives and handles much better than the 5 series (and I owned two 5 series previously)
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This forum is awesome! Thanks for a tilt-down tip. The dealer is useless. I asked them and he said the mirrors don't automatically tilt-down in reverse.

The dealers know nothing about the cars they sell. I found it time and again. They are just glorified paper clerks to fill out the agreement of sale.
all the cars that I have owned with the tilt down feature are the same, the switch must be selected on the mirror you want to tilt (some cars tilt both mirrors I do not think the Audi does, it might but I almost never park on the left side so I have never tried) and why it is in reverse you can move the mirror to the desired view and release, that way it holds the memory.

The vag com mods are different, you need a cable and a laptop, not hard but is not like on and off.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by feralc
The vag com mods are different, you need a cable and a laptop, not hard but is not like on and off.
Does anyone do VAG COM mods for a fee? I'd imagine this would be a win-win - to recoup the hardware costs for seller and to get VAG COM mods at a fraction of the cost of hardware for a buyer.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, you're right a little on the 7. It isn't sporty looking, I'll give you that BUT, it's much tighter than the A6 in terms of steering actually handling. It is hard to compare the 7 series to an A6, it just happens to be the last BMW I owned. I did have an older 5 series that I loved as well. Again, tighter all the way around.

My personal issues with the Audi are the fact that it just doesn't feel like you're in a German car - when you shut the doors, it feels like a Honda. More wind noise in the Audi too. It feels as if it's constructed cheaply or cheaper than a BMW or MB. Again, the A6 is quick as hell off the line, which I do like.

I wouldn't get a Benz personally, too much of an old man's car. The E class is too cheap, looks exactly like a Honda Accord. The S class is very nice but it's a grandpa car. The new CLS looks pretty good and now they have a CLS250, although I wouldn't want a 4 cylinder even though it saves on money and gas.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

My guy here in Chicago does it for me for free. Not sure about anywhere else, depends on how much your guy likes you. Audi certainly won't do it.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Back on the original subject. Car and Driver loves BMWs and has had several good comparos over the past four years. Google them. Audi A6 has topped each one. Even the S6 beats the M5 in many ways. Also worth a view on YouTube is the S8 vs. Alpina 7 comparo. Take a guess how that works out.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agree with JerryS4. Car and Driver always prefers the Bimmers, even when other cars outhandle and outrace them. But lately, the A6 took all the top spots even in Car and Driver.

WannaS6 - I agree that older BMW's were tighter and more driver's cars. But we're comparing with the current stable and they are just not as good anymore (exception 3-series, 1-series and all M variants).

WannaS6 - when you say "my guy", you mean the dealer or the indy mechanic or...?